:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Help Me Find a Sewing Pattern!
January 9, 2017
5:24 pm
idrawthings
Cat
Meows: 36
Snarking Since:
December 5, 2016

notlistenThanks AKgrown, I shall check those out.

As for neckbands – 16 pins minimum and then I hand baste before serging. No matter how much I improve I can't imagine ever doing any less than this! Takes ages though :( but I am a beginner and prone to overkill!

January 9, 2017
5:26 pm
Sewing Machine Tattoo
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 613
Snarking Since:
January 4, 2015

Some free tees I've sewn and liked:
- Tessuti Mandy Boat Tee
- Tessuti Fave Top
- Grainline Hemlock Tee

These are more like fashion drapey tees than a bog standard fitted t shirt, however I've found them well drafted and stylish on. The Mandy and Hemlock are very similar to the Sew Over It pattern you mentioned. The Maria Denmark Kimono Tee is nice but it was a little too tight around the hips for me and very wide in the shoulder / neckline.

If you are willing to buy a pattern magazine, I think Ottobre would be best bang for your buck when it comes to tees. They really do draft excellent knit patterns, and if you find an edition with a lot of t shirt variations, you'll be set for tee patterns. You can order single copies on their Etsy store, and their website has a pattern guide as to what is included in each edition.

AKGrown, I still have neckband issues too. Sometimes that divide in quarters works…but mostly it is a matter of practice, learning how to feel how much stretch is needed in each section of the neck opening. Using a fabric that has good recovery and won't stretch out of shape once pulled is also important.

January 10, 2017
3:20 am
idrawthings
Cat
Meows: 36
Snarking Since:
December 5, 2016

No idea why notlisten has appeared in my previous post. Promise it doesn't mean anything!

January 10, 2017
12:45 pm
poster child for the 7 deadly sins
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 985
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2015

I actually have a question about neckbands, since we're talking about them here, I'll post it. 

So the instructions usually say, divide in 4 with pins, pin around neckline. But necklines are usually lower (and therefore the edge is longer at the front. Especially if it's a bit of a scoop neck? It seems strange to me to divide equally into 4 when there is a lot more edge at the front. Or is it to pull it in tight? 

So hams, do you divide in 4, or distribute the negative ease equally around the whole neckline? 

January 10, 2017
12:50 pm
i wish i could sew
Kitten
Meows: 1
Snarking Since:
January 10, 2017

newhere Hi all, I wonder if anyone can kindly point me to any Big 4 shirt pattern similar to Tilly's Rosa? I like the semi-fitted shape and princess seams together with yokes. I tried but can't find any pattern with both front yoke and princess seams.  THANKS A LOT!!!

January 10, 2017
12:52 pm
Odd stitch repeat
Cat
Meows: 18
Snarking Since:
July 11, 2015

poster child for the 7 deadly sins meowed
I actually have a question about neckbands, since we're talking about them here, I'll post it. 

So the instructions usually say, divide in 4 with pins, pin around neckline. But necklines are usually lower (and therefore the edge is longer at the front. Especially if it's a bit of a scoop neck? It seems strange to me to divide equally into 4 when there is a lot more edge at the front. Or is it to pull it in tight? 

So hams, do you divide in 4, or distribute the negative ease equally around the whole neckline? 

I divide in 4, but also divide the neckline in 4 – i.e., I do not use the shoulder seams in the equation. The CB and CF are marked, and the midpoint between each. I also use differential feed on the serger to ensure the sea allowance spreads out to keep it from flipping up.

January 10, 2017
4:13 pm
muggles
Kitten
Meows: 2
Snarking Since:
January 10, 2017

Delurking for pattern finding help…. (and apologies if this image is huge!)

I wanted this cami from asos (UK) but sods law it is out of stock and I haven't found similar elsewhere.  But finding a pattern has been equally frustrating!  At the point of attempting a self draft but this would be new territory for me and feel safer with a pattern, even burda is proving fruitless :(  

Any suggestions gratefully received!

January 10, 2017
4:33 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 868
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Maybe this Burda without the flounce with buttons at the center front?

http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/flounce-tank-082016

January 10, 2017
4:35 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 868
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Or this one with the pleat conveted into the button band?

http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/pleated-tank-052016

January 10, 2017
4:48 pm
muggles
Kitten
Meows: 2
Snarking Since:
January 10, 2017

Spirits of elderflower meowed
Or this one with the pleat conveted into the button band?

http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/pleated-tank-052016

Ah thanks spirits, the 2nd one has the deep v and the looser fit that I like, and I guess I could just add buttons down the front!

I may have been trying to hard to find the perfect match and  not looking for the obvious!

January 11, 2017
3:00 pm
sew biased
Kitten
Meows: 1
Snarking Since:
June 5, 2016

i wish i could sew meowed
newhere Hi all, I wonder if anyone can kindly point me to any Big 4 shirt pattern similar to Tilly's Rosa? I like the semi-fitted shape and princess seams together with yokes. I tried but can't find any pattern with both front yoke and princess seams.  THANKS A LOT!!!

McCalls 7470 is pretty close

January 12, 2017
4:10 am
poster child for the 7 deadly sins
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 985
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2015

Odd stitch repeat meowed

I divide in 4, but also divide the neckline in 4 – i.e., I do not use the shoulder seams in the equation. The CB and CF are marked, and the midpoint between each. I also use differential feed on the serger to ensure the sea allowance spreads out to keep it from flipping up.

Aha, that makes perfect sense Odd Stitch. I was using the should seams at the starting point, doh! I love this place. I never would have worked that out until someone mentioned it, but now you have, it is SO OBVIOUS! Thank you. 

January 12, 2017
6:04 am
Zoxe
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2028
Snarking Since:
July 15, 2014

poster child for the 7 deadly sins meowed

Odd stitch repeat meowed

Aha, that makes perfect sense Odd Stitch. I was using the should seams at the starting point, doh! I love this place. I never would have worked that out until someone mentioned it, but now you have, it is SO OBVIOUS! Thank you. 

This is probably the method Odd Stitch has already gotten across but this is how I locate the points.   I sometimes haven't notched CF and CB if it's a bound edge with no seam allowances.  So, I find them by lining up the shoulder seams and marking the folds with a pin.  Then I find the quarter points in a similar way.  Match the CF and CB pins and find the fold midway between those.  Finally line the shoulder points up one more time and make sure the quarter points are at roughly the same point on the front neck.  If I ever were to need eighth points, I'd match the end points of each section to find the midpoints of each of those.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.