:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Jessica Quirk / What I Wore
January 15, 2014
12:50 pm
sponsoredcontent
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 827
Snarking Since:
June 28, 2013

I actually have that dress in blue. It's a beach cover-up. I wear it on chillier days at the beach, or sometimes to the grocery store while on a beach vacation. It is NOT a snowy January dress.

January 15, 2014
12:57 pm
HAM HAG (Library Laura)
CH
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 259
Snarking Since:
November 20, 2011

katmae24 said

I remember this hamburglar dress from way back. It was super short then, and is SUPER SHORT NOW. I know she's wearing dark tights, but still – dang. In my 30s, I wouldn't be wearing a dress that short. And the material of that dress probably pulls a bit as she moves (or pulls up) – I wonder how short it becomes if she lifts her arms? It's even shorter than mid-thigh, and that's pushing it. You'd think, as someone who has some background with clothes and fit….that she would know when to retire something because it's shrunk and just doesn't fit right anymore! scared And the knitty old scarf? She didn't have something a bit more dressier but around her neck??? Same for the hat. With an outfit like that, I wouldn't be wearing a casual knitted hat – save it for sledding time.

Oh…and those darn $500 snowboots. She's worn them enough in the snow now that she might as well just make the damn things her snowboots.

Meh, the length doesn't bother me. I hate to fuel her smugness, but if I'd wear it too if I had Messica's legs. But it does kinda look "off." Probably because it's a light-weight knit and not something appropriate for a cold, snowy day.

January 15, 2014
1:44 pm
dishonest dancer
MEOWGOD
Meows: 11470
Snarking Since:
March 4, 2013

The dress isn't that thick, you can see it clinging to her tights.  If she wore a slip, it might be slightly better.  The dress is essentially a shirt now, it is just too short for anyone to mistake it for an actual dress.  

Then there is the stupid moto jacket that she thinks makes her look cool so she should wear it any chance she gets.  It was cold enough to snow, it is too cold for a moto jacket.  So she isn't wearing a proper coat for the weather, she isn't wearing proper boots for the snow, and her scarf is wrapped around her in bizarre fashion.  I am sure she would say that she wasn't cold at all! but the issue is that she looks really stupid dressing like this in January in Indiana.  If I saw her on the street, I would wonder if it was laundry day.

She as gone nutso with the hyperlinks.  Some are affiliate, some are to her own blog to drive traffic into her archives.  Today, she links to J. Crew for the dress which is over a year old and she knows it's not on the web site now.  She has now added an "I like this too!" link for a moto jacket, even though hers is not available.  The scarf isn't available either, but she had to put a "similar" link in there to maximize her income drool.  I counted 13 hyperlinks for this short post.  7 items link to places on her own site, 6 link to items she bought, and I think only 3 of those 6 link to the actual items she bought (I'm not clicking on them, it could be less than that).  Holy shilling, Batman!  She doesn't care much about clothes these days except for GETTING ALL THE MONIES FROM THE LINKS.  Gross.

January 15, 2014
5:01 pm
Potato With Legs
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1885
Snarking Since:
March 11, 2013

That checklist is hysterical!!!!  But, where are the colored foil stars?  

January 15, 2014
5:12 pm
lokicat
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 489
Snarking Since:
June 17, 2013

Is it just me or are her eyebrows kind of insane on today's post?  I went back through a few more recent posts and they are covered in most photos (either bangs, sunglasses or hats) but I don't remember them being so, so, so Groucho Marxy?

January 15, 2014
5:31 pm
dishonest dancer
MEOWGOD
Meows: 11470
Snarking Since:
March 4, 2013

lokicat said
Is it just me or are her eyebrows kind of insane on today's post?  I went back through a few more recent posts and they are covered in most photos (either bangs, sunglasses or hats) but I don't remember them being so, so, so Groucho Marxy?

At times, they look a bit Jack Nicholson-y.  

January 15, 2014
6:13 pm
lemon_face
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 581
Snarking Since:
October 25, 2011

#notpaleo said
The dress isn't that thick, you can see it clinging to her tights.  If she wore a slip, it might be slightly better.  The dress is essentially a shirt now, it is just too short for anyone to mistake it for an actual dress.  

Then there is the stupid moto jacket that she thinks makes her look cool so she should wear it any chance she gets.  It was cold enough to snow, it is too cold for a moto jacket.  So she isn't wearing a proper coat for the weather, she isn't wearing proper boots for the snow, and her scarf is wrapped around her in bizarre fashion.  I am sure she would say that she wasn't cold at all! but the issue is that she looks really stupid dressing like this in January in Indiana.  If I saw her on the street, I would wonder if it was laundry day.

She as gone nutso with the hyperlinks.  Some are affiliate, some are to her own blog to drive traffic into her archives.  Today, she links to J. Crew for the dress which is over a year old and she knows it's not on the web site now.  She has now added an "I like this too!" link for a moto jacket, even though hers is not available.  The scarf isn't available either, but she had to put a "similar" link in there to maximize her income drool.  I counted 13 hyperlinks for this short post.  7 items link to places on her own site, 6 link to items she bought, and I think only 3 of those 6 link to the actual items she bought (I'm not clicking on them, it could be less than that).  Holy shilling, Batman!  She doesn't care much about clothes these days except for GETTING ALL THE MONIES FROM THE LINKS.  Gross.

Every link Jessica posts anywhere – Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, on her own blog – even if it is directing you to another place ON the blog – is a linksynergy/affiliate link. Every single one. In every single thing she ever posts. She's been doing it for years. It's insanity, though it must work for her. I don't know anything about how those affiliate things work, but doesn't it seem like it should be against the rules to get money for click$ when you're just directing people back to your own content?

January 15, 2014
6:40 pm
essential oil tampon
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1030
Snarking Since:
June 6, 2011

#notpaleo said

Every link Jessica posts anywhere – Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, on her own blog – even if it is directing you to another place ON the blog – is a linksynergy/affiliate link. Every single one. In every single thing she ever posts. She's been doing it for years. It's insanity, though it must work for her. I don't know anything about how those affiliate things work, but doesn't it seem like it should be against the rules to get money for click$ when you're just directing people back to your own content?

January 15, 2014
6:45 pm
essential oil tampon
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1030
Snarking Since:
June 6, 2011

The forum ate up my response, but responding to lemon_face:

You're confusing bit.ly links with affiliate links.

Bitly is a free tool that condenses links and gives you the ability to track them, so you can see where the clicks are coming from, like from facebook vs. twitter, and all sorts of other interesting stats. Messica is using those so she can see where she is getting the most traffic. She also uses bit.ly links to shorten and track affiliate links, so while they all look the same when you mouse over them, only links that take you to a retailer website will be earning her commission.

January 15, 2014
7:08 pm
librarirun
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1327
Snarking Since:
January 18, 2013

hijackedI mentioned in a previous backpost that I was reading It Starts With Food (the creators of the #whole30) just to see what the hell got Messi's panties in a twist. I finished it last night and right at the end of the book, they stress a couple of things one doing the #omgwhole30 #lifestyle, you should follow. I thought I'd share them here, mostly because of how much press Messica has been giving the authors of the book – to the point where she's changed her Twitter bio to include it:

Vintage girl living in a modern world. Loves knitting, sewing, blogging and #whole30 cooking. Married to a man named @quirk. 

(It used to say part-time paleo and bootcamp before, now it says the whole30 shtick…) And then she did the same thing to her Instagram bio:

Living and loving in beautiful Bloomington IN. Married to @adamquirk. Loves #whole30. Knitting, sewing & vintage wears.

MMMkay? And THEN, she's even now added it as a separate tag/menu option on her BLAHG under the Lifestyle top menu – listed first and is the only one in BOLD. So, for obvious reasons, this #whole30 shit is important to her, riiiiiight?? 

The book lists at the end how to go about speaking and following a #whole30 lifestyle. It says this:

Now, does THAT sound like our #omgwhole30 Messica? She would NEVER say that she is 95/90/74389473892 % #whole30 or #paleo, right? I mean, even the #whole30 bible says you shouldn't do that….

The book also tells you how to respond to people asking about the #whole30 lifestyle (you know, those "hold your roll, #paleo police" kinda people that Messi's had to deal with:

What does the #whole30 bible say to do, Messi? LEAD BY QUIET EXAMPLE. Gosh darn, I don't think tagging/instagramming/facebooking/BLAHGING everything #whole30 #whole14 #whole18349210812 follows the #whole30 guidelines, do you?

Another thing to note is that after reading the book – I'd say that it's not even a lifestyle thing. Right at the end they talk about doing #whole2's – like doing it just for a weekend to clean up your diet (like Messi's done after her slamnom vacations) – which makes me think that this "diet" is more of a "cleanse" than anything. I'm sure there are people who fully follow it 100%, but I thought I'd share this with you guys. 

As much as she preaches #whole30 and plugs it on absolutely every social media outlet she can, she's actually not taking the book to heart at all.

puke

(images from It Starts With Food, by Melissa & Dallas Hartwig, 2012)

January 15, 2014
7:10 pm
lemon_face
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
October 25, 2011

fax leather mormon pants said

Bitly is a free tool that condenses links and gives you the ability to track them, so you can see where the clicks are coming from, like from facebook vs. twitter, and all sorts of other interesting stats. Messica is using those so she can see where she is getting the most traffic. She also uses bit.ly links to shorten and track affiliate links, so while they all look the same when you mouse over them, only links that take you to a retailer website will be earning her commission.

No, I understand the difference. She's not using bit.ly, she's using redirect.viglink. I don't THINK that's the same thing, but maybe I'm wrong? Here's an exact link from today's post that links to her own archives:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=11fe087258b6fc0532a5ccfc924805c0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatiwore.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F43488594720%2Fwhat-i-wore-winter-nautical-take-ii

January 15, 2014
7:15 pm
librarirun
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1327
Snarking Since:
January 18, 2013

lemon_face said

No, I understand the difference. She's not using bit.ly, she's using redirect.viglink. I don't THINK that's the same thing, but maybe I'm wrong? Here's an exact link from today's post that links to her own archives:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=11fe087258b6fc0532a5ccfc924805c0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatiwore.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F43488594720%2Fwhat-i-wore-winter-nautical-take-ii

No, you're right. If you google what viglink is – it's paid links! It even says, 'EARN MONEY FROM ORDINARY LINKS!"

January 15, 2014
7:20 pm
lemon_face
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
October 25, 2011

katmae24 said

lemon_face said

No, you're right. If you google what viglink is – it's paid links! It even says, 'EARN MONEY FROM ORDINARY LINKS!"

Yeah so basically she's earning money from posting links to her blog…on her blog. It kind of perfectly encapsulates the Jessica Quirk brand of laziness, is it not?

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy. For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.