:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Pink Peonies / Rachel Parcell
November 8, 2016
1:01 pm
Stinkalicious
Cat
Meows: 33
Snarking Since:
January 25, 2012

Her: Julliard Calves meowed
I wish we could have like a sticky post at the beginning of each thread with background info, hah. I don't mind reposting this info but I hate if I'm bugging other people who have read it all before.

Drew's dad is a real estate developer. Rachel and Drew live in one of his spec houses. The way this works is that once the house is built, Drew's dad (or his LLC) sign the deed of the house over to Rachel and Drew, who live in the house for three years, paying the property taxes, utlities, etc. then list and sell it. After three years, the house has appreciated, Drew's dad paid nothing in upkeep or maintenance, Rachel and Drew got a nice house to live in for free, and they are no longer required to pay a capital gains tax on the profits made from development. Whether Drew's dad takes his profits back or lets Drew and Rach keep them is unknown. I'm betting they do. It's a pretty nifty, tax-free way to pass down wealth and is fairly common among rich people. Drew's dad still gets a cut from the sale as the listing agent.

Interesting. Good for them, I guess! But there is no way I'd want to move every 3 years…especially with kids. 

November 8, 2016
1:10 pm
amazing husband gorgeous house
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 909
Snarking Since:
August 20, 2014

Am I the only person that has never heard of Taipan?

Also, are we sure that it's Drew's dad that is the real estate developer doing these flips? I know he is the one listing the house, but I though Papa Skalla was also in the developing business. Seems odd that both Skalla sisters would have their homes through Drew's dad, but Jenica and Tyler live in a more normal home. You would think if it was Papa Parcell he would have all of his kids in on it  (don't think the fitness one lives in a McMansion either) before he would offer it to Emily and Taylor. Or do they actual own their house and plan to stay there. Just a thought. Might be totally off base, though.

November 8, 2016
1:33 pm
Likes Cheese
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1386
Snarking Since:
November 23, 2014

From what I could tell by county records, Emily and Taylor took out a pretty hefty mortgage for their house (or more accurately Taylor did, Emily is not listed).  This makes me think they actually bought it?!  I have a very limited understanding of how all these house flips work though so I could be wrong.  I too think it's weird that none of the other Parcell kids (including Tyler and Jenica who just had two babies!) live in bigger houses (if indeed their father really is into the real estate wheeling and dealing).  

Went down a rabbit hole from those old posts of Rachel's that were linked here recently.  Her blog used to be so much better and she looked SO much happier back in 2013 and before.  She shared fun details of actual goings on in her life and her outfits were fresh.  It's a shame, she's so young and her blog just makes it look like life has dragged her down and she's been stripped of any happiness/excitement.  I wonder if it's all the $$/sponsors… I know if I had endless $$ and everything was done for me, I'd honestly have a hard time getting out of bed.  For me, I need those daily "to do's" to get me up and going!  #bringbacktheoldrach  

November 8, 2016
2:06 pm
arugula
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 227
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2015

She does look happier. I think maybe she's looking for happiness in the wrong places now. She's probably not friends with the same people. She lives an isolated life keeping up with appearances. Tyler and Jenica's house is like a 450k home, Rachel and Drews is a million more. You'd think Tyler would be better paid by his millionaire dad but maybe they have different priorities and they did have lots of baby bills. The dynamics are so bizarre and hard to figure out.

November 8, 2016
2:07 pm
arugula
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 227
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2015

Also, I think the skalla dad does commercial real estate. I could be wrong.

November 8, 2016
5:01 pm
bronco05
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 321
Snarking Since:
February 25, 2012

Maybe Tyler and Jennica don't want to move every 3 years and wanted a house where they can grow roots. And maybe a 500k house if what they can afforded to BUY and OWN. I'm sure a lot of Rachel and Drews income for a home includes her income and therefore they can afford a million dollar home. Or something like that. I'm sure Tyler makes a nice living, but he doesn't have a wife bringing in 600k -1 mill income too.
Yes, Rachel's dad is in commercial building, not residential.

Also, I always like to remind people, Rachel's house is in Highland, UT. Kind of in the middle of nowhere. Her McMansions may be big but it's hardly in a prime and desirable location. If she were living in Fedral Heights, Country Club, or areas by those (where houses 1/2 the size are selling for more than hers) I'd be impressed and jealous. Not so much of a McMansion in nowhere Utah.

November 8, 2016
8:27 pm
Wasted Away in Margaritaville
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 401
Snarking Since:
November 17, 2013

I know to most outsiders who believe Utah is a basic flyover state with wacky laws Highland isn't a big deal.  However, it's actually the HQ to a ton of tech companies.  Additionally, Silicon Valley in CA has taken it under its wing so Lehi (next door neighbors to Highland) holds a lot of overflow from the companies rooted in Cali.  We have Adobe, IM Flash, Vivint, Ancestry.com, the NSA center, and a bunch of others.

Prime and desirable is all subjective because to many who live here, point of the mountain is the place to be.

As for why one would want to move every 3 years?  My husband and I recently sold our starter home and made $60K in profit, we lived there for 26 months.  Bought a bigger, nicer house in a better community with 25% down.  Why not sell?  We're like a more affordable Denver out here but with no traffic and the mountains are 10 minutes away.

November 9, 2016
9:33 am
Criticizing me is unfeminist
Hamcat
Meows: 178
Snarking Since:
April 29, 2016

Wasted Away in Margaritaville meowed 
As for why one would want to move every 3 years?  My husband and I recently sold our starter home and made $60K in profit, we lived there for 26 months.  Bought a bigger, nicer house in a better community with 25% down.  Why not sell?  We're like a more affordable Denver out here but with no traffic and the mountains are 10 minutes away.

I would respect Rachel if she were honest about the profitability of her decisions.  More money making power to her. 

Instead, she lies and goes on and on about how their home is their dream home, and the many, many hours she's spent 'designing' their dream home, and how they're only moving (down the street? a few minutes away? I dunno but it's certainly VERY close to their current place) because the new place has a better view! Such bullshit. She would also never admit that a big portion of her home is unfurnished and unused.  

A lot of the flack Rachel is getting is NOT about making money or moving to a more suitable location or house.  It's about her straight out lying about her situation.   

November 9, 2016
11:00 am
You Remind me of the Babe
Hamcat
Meows: 121
Snarking Since:
June 1, 2016

I am holding my breath on her giving a full home tour before they move, as she mentioned she would do on Emily's FB live video.

November 9, 2016
1:46 pm
Milk Milk Lemonade
Hamcat
Meows: 185
Snarking Since:
June 26, 2014

I know to most outsiders who believe Utah is a basic flyover state with wacky laws Highland isn't a big deal.  However, it's actually the HQ to a ton of tech companies.  Additionally, Silicon Valley in CA has taken it under its wing so Lehi (next door neighbors to Highland) holds a lot of overflow from the companies rooted in Cali.  We have Adobe, IM Flash, Vivint, Ancestry.com, the NSA center, and a bunch of others.

Prime and desirable is all subjective because to many who live here, point of the mountain is the place to be.

Cool story bro, but I disagree. Those companies just moved there because its CHEAP to run a business in Utah and even cheaper the further you move outside the city. If you live south of point of the mountain all your neighbors are white conservative Moooormons (great pool of college educated workers for those companies to hire from). I would rather live in a two bed/one bath fixer upper in SLC with the potential for some diversity than a McMansion in Highland/Lehi any day. Utah is an awesome place to live – I lived in SLC, but rarely went south of Draper because I didn't care for the people in "the south."

November 9, 2016
2:06 pm
driving consumerism
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 371
Snarking Since:
August 8, 2016

anyone else catch meggydawg and amy's snaps last night? rachel and emily have been quieter and more "shocked" but meggydawg and amy were outwardly cheering for trump. so disappointed in these young, privileged white women. obviously shoulda expected it considering their environment, but still shaking my head…

November 9, 2016
2:16 pm
Wasted Away in Margaritaville
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 401
Snarking Since:
November 17, 2013

Milk Milk Lemonade meowed

Cool story bro, but I disagree. Those companies just moved there because its CHEAP to run a business in Utah and even cheaper the further you move outside the city. If you live south of point of the mountain all your neighbors are white conservative Moooormons (great pool of college educated workers for those companies to hire from). I would rather live in a two bed/one bath fixer upper in SLC with the potential for some diversity than a McMansion in Highland/Lehi any day. Utah is an awesome place to live – I lived in SLC, but rarely went south of Draper because I didn't care for the people in "the south."

Ok.

November 9, 2016
2:49 pm
1234ABC
Hamcat
Meows: 189
Snarking Since:
February 23, 2014

driving consumerism meowed

anyone else catch meggydawg and amy's snaps last night? rachel and emily have been quieter and more "shocked" but meggydawg and amy were outwardly cheering for trump. so disappointed in these young, privileged white women. obviously shoulda expected it considering their environment, but still shaking my head…

I did, they just don't get it…..

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.