:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Gluten Free Girl
September 11, 2016
5:35 pm
flea circus
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 232
Snarking Since:
July 19, 2014

Headpat Junquie meowed

I don't think Whole Foods is unionized, and is there a WF on Vashon? Must be the Thriftway. But what is Danny self-employed as? her caretaker?

He's her chef, babysitter and probably grocery shopper, camera man, and I imagine her enabler at being a lazy turd so she can spend her time twitting celebs and sitting on her ass while eating pie.

September 11, 2016
5:38 pm
Headpat Junquie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2158
Snarking Since:
April 13, 2012

She also says she's going to teach baking classes this fall–how many people are left on the island to teach? Do people come from Seattle to worship at her feet? I would have thought teaching would pay better.

September 11, 2016
6:24 pm
American Portions
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 330
Snarking Since:
May 18, 2014

dear friend meowed
Now she can judge people's shopping carts all day erry day! 

She must be working full time, when I worked part-time at a grocery store (and was also in the union wheeeee) I was not offered health benefits.  

Good for her for doing something logical and beneficial for her family! I am optimistic that we'll still have plenty to snark on now that she has even more opportunities to judge people in her community.oregonian_winesmiley

When I was a teenager working 12 – 15 hours per week at Vons, I could have had free health insurance if I had needed it (I didn't; I was on my mom's insurance). I paid union dues and even ended up with money in a retirement account from my high school job! I do think it's possible for a part-time worker to qualify for health insurance through their employer. 

September 11, 2016
7:42 pm
Soft Core Bodice Ripper
Cat
Meows: 28
Snarking Since:
October 31, 2013

Headpat Junquie meowed
I don't think Whole Foods is unionized, and is there a WF on Vashon? Must be the Thriftway. But what is Danny self-employed as? her caretaker?

There's no WF on Vashon.  It must be the Vashon Thriftway.  

And, BAKERY clap

formerly mainlining oatmeal and Middle Class GOOP
September 11, 2016
8:59 pm
castaway
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1856
Snarking Since:
September 2, 2013

Hamilbread meowed
Here's the rest of the IG post:

And two people being self-employed with two small kids? It's too tenuous. It has been a tough couple of years of up and down, financially, since the exorbitant expense of adoption. Now, I have a solid paycheck. And health insurance for the entire family for $35 a month in union dues. (Bless the unions.) And really, really good health insurance. Need a good job, friends and fellow artists? Work at a grocery store.
Finally, as my dear friend John, who is a painter, convinced me, artists need day jobs. I'm working on a new book — not a cookbook — and I find I have no time to create it when I spend my entire work day answering emails and doing almost-creative work. This is a choice to write.
So, I'm punching a clock for the first time. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.
gluten-free girl will still go on, probably even stronger. We have dozens of new recipes in the works for the coming months. I'm teaching baking classes all fall. I'm just going back to enjoying it again, instead of feeling like we need to earn all our money from it.
This is my new way to feed people.

At least there's honesty there. I'm more impressed by that than by her job.

And that's why, kids, you don't adopt a kid without serious financial planning. Not that Desmond is the sole cause of their financial troubles, although Shauna would like you to think he is.

My first though is that years later after losing a studio, selling off sponsored gimmes to stay afloat, living without a fridge even in the heat of summer while running a cooking business because they (presumably) couldn't afford to replace theirs, spending their way through Kickstarter money while being unable to afford a long-anticipated and scheduled cranial surgery for their child, all while being unwilling to put forth the consistency they'd need to make their brand work – finally the thought occurs to them, "hmm.. maybe one of us should get a job?" quickly followed by "…because that child Desmond sucked all our money away!"

[some day Desmond will read about all the times that she's blamed their poverty on him. Coming from a family of adoptees, this is beyond painful to imagine...]

My second thought is – good for her. I don't think she'll immediately quit or be fired. You should see the things my grocery store people get away with – nose wiping and getting her hair in shit will not be firing offenses. And personally I think one of the reasons she was a shit poor 'self-employed' person is because she lacks self-discipline. People like Sauna chafe under the supervision of others, but they also need it to force them to be consistent. The only things she seems to have completed in her life is the ghost writing (direct supervision and a deadline), the gross and error-filled cookbooks (another deadline set by others), and possibly a few years of teaching (same). All of the schemes she's come up with since then have started strong and then fizzled for lack of self discipline. She 'grows weary' and invents reasons to work less and less until she's ass sitting on twitter and even resenting THAT as too much work.  

So I think having a manager stand over her and demand that she clock in and out appropriately on a fixed schedule and do work on the clock is probably the best thing for her. She won't like it, but it's probably the only way she can actually work. 

My guess is Danny was unable to find a chef job on Vashon, but was for a time actively applying, hence all her "dingo loves cheffing" posts. And I also think parenting is BY FAR the harder job than grocery store work so she selflessly offered herself up to work outside the home. Good. Danny is clearly the more involved and loving parent.

September 11, 2016
9:24 pm
Neck Fat
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2325
Snarking Since:
August 4, 2013

Isn't her Facebook video where she mentions not having a working refrigerator and Danny buying the butter from a few months ago? I watched her latest video and there is no mention of no refrig.

September 11, 2016
10:14 pm
Headpat Junquie
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
April 13, 2012

My take is that Sauna thinks that she'll be the sweetheart of the bakery, and that every shift will be a constant parade of spontaneous hugs, joyful admirers and people dropping in just to bask in her presence. She's an award-winning author and expert, after all! And for the first week, it might be.
Then, her co-workers are going to tire of hearing about her expert recipes, her adventures with movie stars, and her adorable, gifted children ( she's got a Kid of Color!). Customers just want their bread and brownies and to get out of the store. Somehow, a supervisor will have to remind her to knock off the Instagram and get back to work. And the madcap adventure will be over.

September 11, 2016
10:19 pm
automatic eye roll
Cat
Meows: 25
Snarking Since:
April 16, 2013

Headpat Junquie meowed

My take is that Sauna thinks that she'll be the sweetheart of the bakery, and that every shift will be a constant parade of spontaneous hugs, joyful admirers and people dropping in just to bask in her presence. She's an award-winning author and expert, after all! And for the first week, it might be.
Then, her co-workers are going to tire of hearing about her expert recipes, her adventures with movie stars, and her adorable, gifted children ( she's got a Kid of Color!). Customers just want their bread and brownies and to get out of the store. Somehow, a supervisor will have to remind her to knock off the Instagram and get back to work. And the madcap adventure will be over.

So. Is this whole popcorn shirtshow worthy of a front page PP article? I think it most definitely is.

September 12, 2016
12:50 am
a dollop of thlack-jawed
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1217
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2012

Soft Core Bodice Ripper meowed

Headpat Junquie meowed

There's no WF on Vashon.  It must be the Vashon Thriftway.  

And, BAKERY clap

It's the Vashon Thriftway. One of her commenters (someone living on "The Island") said "Congrats! I'll look for you when I'm at T'way!"

And I think it was at Thriftway where she did her gluten-free flour demo last year. That was, IIRC, on a Saturday, the same day (or the day before) she had her TIA in June 2015.

What Danny cooking?
September 12, 2016
12:57 am
Headpat Junquie
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
April 13, 2012

CecilyK got a job, Katie Allison sells some skin care MLM stuff, and Sauna's a cashier. My prayers have been answered.

September 12, 2016
2:56 am
sailorcat
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 336
Snarking Since:
April 10, 2014

Hamilbread meowed
I guess I should applaud her for getting a job, but I can't. Not when the best she can do is three days a week at a grocery store. One minute this woman is all ambition (flour business, FOP) and the next she just settles for the bare minimum. Clearly she had some work ethic at some point because as lucky as she was with GFG, she still had to do a lot of work.

I'm actually more upset at her fan girls because I know they're buying her spin. She's a roll model!

I'm with Hamilbread. I don't applaud Shauna for doing the only possible thing when she and Dan have their backs against the wall financially. And for writing such a gross, self-satisfied monologue about her "choice" on IG where she follows her standard MO of shitting on everything she's done before. 

What annoys me most is she makes zero mention of her flour business or FOPbeans, and nobody is calling her out on it. Of all the ludicrous claims she makes in her post, the least believable one is that her blog will continue stronger than ever. Dollars to donuts that after a day's work at the bakery, she'll come home demanding to be fed, pampered, and then left alone so she can relax after a hard day being the breadwinner. Catch up on all the tweets she missed while at at the store. Oh, and work on this new non-cookbook. Somehow I think promoting her flour or creating new FOPbean recipes won't make the priority list. I wish people would remember her grandiose claims of how this was how she wanted to live her life, mailing off flour boxes or creating bean recipes for a super special online club, and how she's basically abandoned them without a word.

And she clearly posted that monologue for headpats.

bunnydickey And you need not justify, sister! Good for you.

glutenfreegirl @bunnydickey oh this isn't justification! I shared this elsewhere and people left so many comments. If it resonated with people there, I thought it would resonate with people here.

Screw you, Shauna. Why do you have to be an asshole, even to people supporting you? You ARE embarrassed and resentful that you have to be a working stiff like 99.9% of the world, because you were too lazy and inept to make your businesses succeed. You act like the mean old internet drove you away when the internet gifted you $92,000 and a score of followers who cheer you on no matter what. YOU messed up and it's no one else's fault.

September 12, 2016
8:28 am
susieQ
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 386
Snarking Since:
January 25, 2013

What I want to know is how long will this "'job" last? If it's anything like she's done, I give it 6 weeks, max.

September 12, 2016
12:08 pm
Suicidal Footman in the Attic
Hamcat
Meows: 169
Snarking Since:
February 18, 2016

Headpat Junquie meowed
CecilyK got a job, Katie Allison sells some skin care MLM stuff, and Sauna's a cashier. My prayers have been answered.

How long before Dooce is waiting tables at Applebees? Nah, she'd marry a rich 90 year old with one foot on a banana peel before she'd do that.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.