:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Gluten Free Girl
October 31, 2016
5:29 am
Witchy No Poo
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 465
Snarking Since:
May 23, 2014

Shauna should take note:

Washington State Sued a Failed Kickstarter Project and Won

“Kickstarter is not a store,” the crowd-funding website’s founders infamously declared in 2012, when questions first arose about the rights of users who give money to failed projects. Even so, Kickstarter’s terms of use say that creators who cannot complete their project and deliver its rewards are supposed to offer refunds and might be subject to legal action if they don’t.

And what Ferguson called “the first enforcement action in the nation against a crowdfunded project that didn’t follow through on its promise to backers” succeeded this July, netting restitution for the Washington-based donors and slapping Asylum with $31,000 in civil penalties.

http://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2015/10/30/washington-state-sued-a-failed-kickstarter-project-and-won

October 31, 2016
8:50 am
Neck Fat
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2324
Snarking Since:
August 4, 2013

Is she punking us now? Multiple invocations of the "minor stroke" — even that she stroked out while in a meeting about the flour business?! She didn't know that starting a small business meant you have no life and certainly no vacations for a few years? Before starting a flour business, you don't acquaint yourself with basic grocery store economics beforehand? She is really bringing up the learning curve for shipping software AGAIN?!

What a fraud. A shameless fraud.

October 31, 2016
9:29 am
thelastsliceofpizzaismine
Kitten
Meows: 4
Snarking Since:
June 16, 2015

I don't comment much since you all say it better than I can. But OMG, I have to comment on these kickstarter comments.

This woman makes me RAGEY.

Yeah, she doesn't want pity but all this is is "me me me, poor me, ooooh, so hard work, much work, stroke, stroke, oh me me me"

What a pile of self-absorbed drivel.

I love how she says to the contributers "I’d remind myself — and I would like to remind you — that this wasn’t a business transaction. You contributed to help us make this flour, not merely for a box or two of flour. Some of you have been angry, writing to me saying, “Where is my grain-free flour?” I understand. But again, this wasn’t money paid for flour, as people who buy the flour through our website expect. It was a pledge to help a cause with a promised reward as a thank you."

Yes, let's SHAME the contributers for wanting their rewards promised them. "Oh, but you weren't actually paying for flour, you were paying towards my dream! How silly and petty you are to keep writing me about a bag of flour when I'm clearly suffering over here, weak with exhaustion and worry. Don't you realize that I am helping the vast hungry masses? Don't you realize I'm FEEDING people despite fighting off death? That I'm fighting for my life, wan and pale, on my sick bed? Selfish people,"

For an apology letter this sure sounds more like a bunch of backpedalling bullshit. I'm sure she's expecting people to be so moved by her writing that they will puddle up, wipe tears from their eyes, press a hand to their heart and exclaim, "Shauna, don't worry about the flour! Just get better from your sick bed! Eat well and heartily! Take care and SLOW DOWN, just rest and recover. How silly of me to expect anything from you. Please, let me send you some good meats and autumn mash to nourish you while your delicate artistic sensibities heal and repair themselves,"

October 31, 2016
9:41 am
Little Broom On The Prairie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2849
Snarking Since:
December 16, 2013

Wow. I'd be so outaged if I had backed her, and not even because I didn't get a reward …. because of her endless excuses, defensiveness, sancitimony, and victim mentality. I lost count of how many people she blamed reading that screed.

I've never in my life seen someone, who has been given so many opportunities, twist things like she does. The mental gymnastics she goes through to martyr herself are exhausting.

If I were a backer, I'd have long ago given up recieving a reward, but I'd be super pissed at her "I am the real victim here" manifesto. And step off a minute, Shauna — did you ever think for one second that your backers might be going through crappy things, too? Why do you always assume you're winning the adulting is hard Olympics? Every single mess you find yourself in are due to YOUR choices.

Yeah, most people would research the hell out of starting a business before, you know, starting a business. And most have to get bank loans for said businesses, which HAVE to be paid back, no matter what.

She also left out the part about adopting a child during all of this, hmm. I guess [mean person du jour] pushed her into that, too?

I'd love to see the responses she's getting on the KS page. Although, it's probably just more headpats and sympathy she somehow always manages to get while kicking her gifthorses in the mouth. She should be a politician. Her spinning the truth abilities are legend.

Sorry, backers. You sent this human sponge money, and you didn't even get a lousy T-shirt. Nope, two years later you a got very backhanded and grudging, "Thanks, I guess", and chastising for being so demanding of this poor, put-upon woman.

October 31, 2016
10:12 am
thelastsliceofpizzaismine
Kitten
Meows: 4
Snarking Since:
June 16, 2015

Wasn't there a blogger a couple of years ago who commented positively on the Kickstarter and was warned by some readers that Shauna was a known grifter and liar? But she defended GFG at the time. I wonder what her feelings are now.

October 31, 2016
10:31 am
LabiaLoaf
Kitten
Meows: 9
Snarking Since:
February 24, 2015

I've cut and pasted the comments Shauna's letter has gotten so far. They are all of the headpats variety. It makes me rage to see someone so undeserving continually get away with stuff like this.

Heather John just now
Oh, Shauna! Do you remember that this time last year, in the midst of all this, you stopped to answer my e-mail about what countertop surface would keep me safe from gluten? I was amazed. Thank you for your kindness and willingness to go the extra mile. Thank you for creating these flour blends. (And let's be realistic-if we can bake something with them, we can certainly mix them up ourselves!) Life's too short to worry about this…it's ok to cut it loose. Peace to you and to your family.
Missing avatar
Kay Teague 13 minutes ago
You have given us Celiacs more than you can ever imagine, and I thank you beyond words for that. My Job is to continue to make your recipe and use it with joy; Your Job is to rid yourself of any misguided guilt, enjoy your family, look after yourselves, and take it a day at a time. With love, admiration and respect.

Gina Carey 41 minutes ago
Oh, to reach through the internets and give you both a big hug!!!! I pledged to help you do whatever you wanted. Because you have been a lifeline for so many of us in our early Celiac years. I hope you can get past any anxiety soon and get back to happy days.

Elissa Altman about 1 hour ago
Brave lady. Thank you for your candor. Sending love and good wishes.

Daphne Nash about 2 hours ago
I have learned so much abut cooking from you over the years, who cares about one box of grain-free flour?! Which, ps, I've been making from the formula in your cookbook, and which I now use exclusively in any baking endeavor. You guys are do-ers; you've moved the needle on gf baking and that's what counts!
Missing avatar
Nanette Autera about 2 hours ago
I love and support you guys. You are on your own path hand I appreciate you sharing so much of it with the rest of us. You have changed my approach to GF baking and I know that I feed my CD family healthier because of YOU. I love your GF flour and, using your recipe, make your grain-free blend batch at a time myself. It works beautifully! Thank you! And I will continue to support your ventures. Even if those ventures become less public and more personal. XOXO
Missing avatar
Brian McCorkle about 4 hours ago
First, you guys are awesome. The positive effect of the blog and the cookbook for thousands and thousands of people is just amazing. Even the Kirkstarter campaign raised lots of awareness. So much to celebrate.
Second, the nature of Kickstarter campaigns is taking a chance, and sometimes you lose. It lets ordinary folks like us play in the world of venture capital, where it is a given that only a certain percentage of things funded will succeed. Some Kickstarter campaigns take off, some make the product but don't survive long-term, and others never get past a prototype. If this was a Kickstarter to start a new restaurant? Several studies show that about 60% of privately owned restaurants fail in the first few years. So it might seem cold to say you're now a statistic, but any Kickstarter supporter who thinks you've failed them doesn't understand the nature of Kickstarter.
Finally, might I suggest a way to give people something useful that would still be great and not consume a ton of your resources? Make a really nice, well-formatted PDF file that would be easy to print and add to our recipe files or post in our pantries (so not just printed from HTML on a website that spills weirdly across sheets of paper). Each flour blend on one page, maybe made to be trimmed to a smaller size. Maybe a second page of national suppliers of ingredients. Maybe a third page with one or two favorite recipes using that blend. And then release your anxiety about having fulfilled your commitment to make these blends more available to the world, because hey, you already have.
Because face it, you've already worked darned hard for years in very challenging circumstances, more than any of us have done to promote GF cooking. Really, you should be very proud of that.
Missing avatar
Monica Girard about 4 hours ago
Thank-you for all of your work. You are both doing an amazing job. Be happy, live your lives, be with your loved ones, take the time you need – life is too short!
Missing avatar
Ellen Cohen Kirschenbaum about 8 hours ago
Take comfort in knowing you are making an educated and wise decision. Life is entirely about learning and you are bravely choosing the path to happiness. Breathe. :)

Sandra Morris Place about 9 hours ago
No worries. As you say, I contributed to a worthy project I believe in. Get healthy, stay happy. You're golden in my world.

October 31, 2016
10:44 am
regionally specific condiment, PhD
Cat
Meows: 25
Snarking Since:
June 17, 2016

And we really didn’t want to do what we realized this path would require: give up our creative passions to make this work. We didn’t want to stop cooking and writing. We didn’t want to hire a sales team, go to conferences around the country and sit in a booth and make appearances to sell the flour to a few more distributors, or take on investors to help us produce the grain-free blend, which would cost another full $50,000 to do a first run.

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE is the problem with GFG in a nutshell. We didn't want to do the work. I reckon a more appropriate literary reference in this massive self-recusal from responsibility would have been Melville's "Bartleby, the Scrivener." But who am I kidding? She'd never "I would prefer not to" herself into starving to death. 

October 31, 2016
10:59 am
Betty Cruikshank
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1252
Snarking Since:
October 31, 2013

"We have been in over our heads for 2 years." No shit, Sherlock. All of us here at GOMI knew you were in over your head the minute you started this venture. Wanna know how? Because we read your blog and see your pattern of starting & stopping projects. Are you truly that un-self-aware? For someone who is so navel-gazing with regards to your social media avatar, you are clueless about your true personality.

Also, I find it interesting that after many months of no Kickstarter update, she posts a big long apology after I copied and pasted that Kickstarter comment from August on this thread just a few days ago. Hi, Shauna!  yeahok

October 31, 2016
11:07 am
Little Broom On The Prairie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2849
Snarking Since:
December 16, 2013

Thanks for posting the comments, LabiaLoaf!

Unbelievable. She gets yet another pass for her bad choices and ingratitude towards patient and kind-hearted people who try to help, and seem to think she's some kind of magical gluten healer who saved their lives.

Imagine how many ill, homeless, etc, people could have been helped by over 90k. Instead, it might as well have been flushed down the toilet … much like her old, stale, buggy flour should be soon.

October 31, 2016
11:34 am
Rabid Tappings
Hamcat
Meows: 172
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2014

stupidoporko meowed

Wasn't there a blogger a couple of years ago who commented positively on the Kickstarter and was warned by some readers that Shauna was a known grifter and liar? But she defended GFG at the time. I wonder what her feelings are now.

Yes, it was Summer Tomato

http://summertomato.com/gluten-free-flours

A little smugly, she " was not worried about Shauna's follow through on this project"

A fan girl defended her slackness referencing that trip to NYC.

facepalm

October 31, 2016
11:41 am
Rabid Tappings
Hamcat
Meows: 172
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2014

Oh one more thing….in that long ass whiny post she twice mentions "payroll" for herself and Derp. Didn't she start this whole thing off saying she would take no money for them at all out of Kickstarter funds?

October 31, 2016
12:28 pm
Bacon in Beans at Restaurants
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2245
Snarking Since:
November 10, 2013

Little Broom On The Prairie meowed
Wow. I'd be so outaged if I had backed her, and not even because I didn't get a reward …. because of her endless excuses, defensiveness, sancitimony, and victim mentality. I lost count of how many people she blamed reading that screed.

I've never in my life seen someone, who has been given so many opportunities, twist things like she does. The mental gymnastics she goes through to martyr herself are exhausting.

If I were a backer, I'd have long ago given up recieving a reward, but I'd be super pissed at her "I am the real victim here" manifesto. And step off a minute, Shauna — did you ever think for one second that your backers might be going through crappy things, too? Why do you always assume you're winning the adulting is hard Olympics? Every single mess you find yourself in are due to YOUR choices.

Yeah, most people would research the hell out of starting a business before, you know, starting a business. And most have to get bank loans for said businesses, which HAVE to be paid back, no matter what.

She also left out the part about adopting a child during all of this, hmm. I guess [mean person du jour] pushed her into that, too?

I'd love to see the responses she's getting on the KS page. Although, it's probably just more headpats and sympathy she somehow always manages to get while kicking her gifthorses in the mouth. She should be a politician. Her spinning the truth abilities are legend.

Sorry, backers. You sent this human sponge money, and you didn't even get a lousy T-shirt. Nope, two years later you a got very backhanded and grudging, "Thanks, I guess", and chastising for being so demanding of this poor, put-upon woman.

I'd be super pissed at her "I am the real victim here" manifesto

Brilliant summation!  

I just cannot figure out why no one, anywhere, has publicly called her out. How does she keep getting away with this "I am the real victim here, always" shit?  

ETA: So why didn't Danny's resumption of a real job merit an announcement from Shaun? Maybe she's uber-resentful that now she has to take care of the kids again? 

Poor Derpy. I'll bet he's absolutely jumping out of his skin with delight that he's back in a commercial kitchen. I'm sure he's elated to both do what he loves AND get away from Shawn and her everlasting demands to be fed or her shucking off the kids on him so that she can be a writerly writer or a vigorous hiker or a seeker of light or whatever faffing around she'd rather do than her share of childcare.

But I'll bet he has to cook an entire day's worth of meals before a shift, just to keep Shaun from dragging the kids down to the restaurant (I wonder which one?) to whine at him about going hungry.

October 31, 2016
1:17 pm
American Portions
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 328
Snarking Since:
May 18, 2014

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for her the way she wants me to about how she lives paycheck-to-paycheck and has been forced to get a *part-time* job when she got NINETY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS not so long ago. There are many people with full-time jobs trying very hard to stay afloat who never get a cash infusion like that!!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.