:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Gluten Free Girl
January 12, 2017
12:02 pm
wolf in sheeples clothing
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 352
Snarking Since:
September 20, 2014

^ that's awesome!
OT but I think the phone/screen thing varies by kid and by parent. My 10yo can play for 10 minutes or an hour (whatever allotted), walk away and be fine. Still can play on her own, use her imagination. My 13yo can never have enough, and becomes belligerent with tech use. More selfish, mean, lacks imagination. It's scary to watch.
Shauna is so glued to her screen, I'm sure the kids think that's normal. And if they don't already, they're likely to resent the hypocrisy soon- we've had to model screen restraint accordingly.

Did she come up with President Elect Putz? I haven't seen that anywhere else, but then I'm not on Twitter.

Formerly Soupy Scones/ Cornmeal Whore
January 12, 2017
12:34 pm
Pop of Nude
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1142
Snarking Since:
February 4, 2013

wolf in sheeples clothing meowed
^ that's awesome!
OT but I think the phone/screen thing varies by kid and by parent. My 10yo can play for 10 minutes or an hour (whatever allotted), walk away and be fine. Still can play on her own, use her imagination. My 13yo can never have enough, and becomes belligerent with tech use. More selfish, mean, lacks imagination. It's scary to watch.
Shauna is so glued to her screen, I'm sure the kids think that's normal. And if they don't already, they're likely to resent the hypocrisy soon- we've had to model screen restraint accordingly.

Did she come up with President Elect Putz? I haven't seen that anywhere else, but then I'm not on Twitter.

I think it was "Petulant-Elect Putz," rolleyesrolleyesrolleyes, but I'm not sure if she made it up. 

January 13, 2017
8:16 am
Little Broom On The Prairie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2707
Snarking Since:
December 16, 2013

View details ·
Shauna James Ahern
@glutenfreegirl
8h
@Russ_Parsons1 @jane_black this is such an incredible mportant piece. There's just too much judgment about food.
View conversation ·

I wonder how she typed that with a straight face?

January 14, 2017
9:31 am
Flyest B***h at Stilts Camp
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1416
Snarking Since:
April 28, 2013

New recipe on Feeding our People:

"glutenfreegirl
A plate of deviled eggs makes me happy. Hard-boiled eggs that cook up and peel easily makes this happiness attainable. This week on @feedingourpeople, we share our new favorite technique for making hard-boiled eggs you can count on. Then we have deviled eggs, five ways, and a simple salad from Italy with hard-boiled eggs and an anchovy vinaigrette. Let's start eating."

The arcane secrets of boiled chicken ovulations are yours for ten bucks a month!

January 14, 2017
9:36 am
a dollop of thlack-jawed
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1201
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2012

Eggs? Eggs.

What Danny cooking?
January 14, 2017
9:43 am
Little Broom On The Prairie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2707
Snarking Since:
December 16, 2013

How are deviled eggs a meal plan? To me, they're appetizers, snacks. Not something to adapt to five days worth of meals. What a strange choice (a very lazy one).

What next? Five Days of Ants On a Log! Sign up now!

http://i67.tinypic.com/9029z5.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2zyagsj.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/20f6fkw.jpg

January 14, 2017
10:57 am
Bacon in Beans at Restaurants
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2207
Snarking Since:
November 10, 2013

^^^Olives! I never thought of olives before. Black olives would be awesome. And jalapeno! Cream cheese on celery sticks with Mrs. Renfro's Sweet/Hot Jalapeno slices…

Yeah, I get what you're saying about her FOP features. She should be picking a big cut of meat and showing everyone how to get 5 meals for 4 adults–all different cuisines, such as Italian, Thai, Asian, Moroccan, Swedish–out of that one cut.

Or how to buy 2 or 3 cheap rotisserie chickens and get 20 servings of soup/salads/main courses and some stock to freeze. Or how to 4 meals/week plus 1 vegetarian meal and 1 meat-based meal for the freezer. You get the idea–actual meals plus something to put away. 

But hard-boiled eggs?  REALLY? She's not even showing her FOPpers 5 different ways to present eggs as a main course! (quiche, spaghetti ala carbonara, salade lyonnaise…) She's just showing them how to eat boiled eggs every day. 

Jesus. I am only a home cook and I have better ideas in 5 minutes than she does in decades of living (wallowing) in food.  

The sheer laziness, coupled with the greedy hands, always grasping, makes me want to smack her.

Now I need to go try out that celery/cream cheese/black olive/jalapeno combo. For breakfast. 

January 15, 2017
4:07 am
Flyest B***h at Stilts Camp
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1416
Snarking Since:
April 28, 2013

Shaun Ahern@glutenfreegurrrrl
Lots of people are intimidated by celery, but they don't have to be. This week on Fleecing Our People, we show how to make celery sticks three ways. This is real food for gnashing, crashing teeth and grateful gulping at island potlucks or Essene-immersion preschools. Join us, won't you?

Mamalovebeans
Oh Shauna, this is just what I've been waiting for! My little man is allergic to wheat, corn, gums, dairy, soy, fructose, red food dye #12 and those little cocktail weiners. Normally I spoon-feed him PaleoGruel(TM) once a hour but I will try this soon!

FuschiaButterfly69
I can't wait to serve these at our next drum circle foot-washing, see us at peoriaspiritcollective.com. Excelsior and hail almighty Gor!

miacomet7
Where the hell is my flour?

January 15, 2017
8:40 am
a dollop of thlack-jawed
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1201
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2012

Flyest b***h at Stilts Camp meowed
This is real food for gnashing, crashing teeth and grateful gulping at island potlucks [...]

lmao

From her latest (chicken soup sponsored) blog post: "There’s a lousy cold surging through our little island. People are coughing and complaining, home sick for days. So far — knock on wood — we four have avoided it. It’s probably luck. Lots of sleep helps. We’re moving through the winter days, still going outside and exercising."

confused What kind of exercise is Shaun doing outside – apart from holding a yellow mitten once?

What Danny cooking?
January 15, 2017
11:15 am
Pop of Nude
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1142
Snarking Since:
February 4, 2013

She said what kind of exercise, you person! MOVING. It is enough. 

Flyest b***h, that was hilarious. I thought it was real until I got to the commenters.

January 15, 2017
11:52 am
Cat Loaf
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 259
Snarking Since:
March 29, 2012

Pop of Nude meowed

wolf in sheeples clothing meowed
^ that's awesome!

I think it was "Petulant-Elect Putz," rolleyesrolleyesrolleyes, but I'm not sure if she made it up. 

I think she was trying to start A Thing with that but no one cared because name calling isn't the best approach to true political discussion.

January 15, 2017
11:58 am
snark in the city
Hamcat
Meows: 117
Snarking Since:
May 21, 2012

I am catching up on her IG and it looks like someone tried to call her out on living on un-diverse Vashon, but that the original comment was deleted. To provide context, she posted on a book that she is reading the children every day called "Last Stop on Market Street"–here is her synopsis:

It's a simple book. CJ and his nana take the bus down Market Street to the soup kitchen where they help serve food every week. CJ is little and wishes for other things. Nana chides him and reminds him how much beauty is around them. They feed people.

But it's revolutionary too. It's set in the city and they walk with people of every color through a rough part of town without any judgment. Nana accepts everyone she meets and tells CJ that the dirt helps you see the beauty more. Their service is a given, woven into the framework of their lives.

The people in this book — black, Latino, Asian, white, young, old, disabled, gay, tattooed, poor, working hard — embody my America. This is the place I want my kids to live, the kindness in a plainspoken children's book.

I highlighted the most Shaunaesque of Shaunaisms here– Feeding People! Dirt makes things more beautiful!  Most of the comments are predictably sycophantic, but there must have been one critical of the fact that she has chosen to live an raise her family on the bubble that is Vashon.  The comment itself is gone without a trace, but Shauna's defensive response remains." How dare anyone question that we live isolated on our yesly island! Isn't it enough that I read books about the ideals I don't actually live by?!" And if service and giving to the poor are so important, has she ever taken her kids to volunteer at a food bank or soup kitchen? Or is just reading about it enough?

glutenfreegirl@arf784 what a strange, combative response to a post about a children's book. I'm talking about America as a country, not just my hometown. I'm taking my kids as many places as I can in the next decade. But also, our town has plenty of poverty and people of all kinds. Ethnically, we're not as diverse as I would like. But like the rest of America, we have plenty of need and people who want to help.

On another post from this weekend, Shauna asks how others will make "good trouble" in light of the upcoming inaguration. Someone commented that picking up the phone and actually calling your representatives is worth a thousand tweets. Shauna responded that she is making calls, but has also "subscribed to the Washington Post, the Nation, the Economist, and the New Yorker to read more deeply."  

Such action! Such civil disobedience! With all the reading going on in that house, no wonder there is no time for anything else, like providing their paying subscribers recipes for anything more complicated than hard boiled eggs or making a go of the flour company that their fellow citizens funded for them and they couldn't be bothered to put in enough effort to succeed at. 

January 15, 2017
7:10 pm
Horfing in the Gloaming
Cat
Meows: 27
Snarking Since:
January 4, 2015

snark in the city meowed

But it's revolutionary too. It's set in the city and they walk with people of every color through a rough part of town without any judgment. Nana accepts everyone she meets and tells CJ that the dirt helps you see the beauty more. Their service is a given, woven into the framework of their lives.

This part is so cringe-worthy.  It reads like she's referring to some of the characters in the book as "the dirt."

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.