:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Rodrigues Family -- What is going on
November 18, 2016
11:13 pm
Honda of Failure
Kitten
Meows: 6
Snarking Since:
October 23, 2016

Spirits of elderflower meowed
It crossed mu mind that that guy following them might be a potential courtship mate for Nurie, but he looks so much older.  She's 17, and he looks about 30. Maybe he's one of those people who just looks older than they are or that's a bad photo of him, but if that's the direction they might be going in…eek

I had this thought too. They idolize the Duggars and this would be a very Duggars style family courtship. puke
Unfortunately – they don't have the resources to support a man that isn't self sufficient (like what's going on with Ben & Jessa).

November 19, 2016
12:49 am
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 918
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

I'm not sure I agree that 17 to 30 is a Duggar style courtship.  If we look at the general stats:

JimBoob and Michelle at marriage: 19- 17

Josh and Anna: both 20

Jill and Derick: Jill, born 91, Derick, born 89

Jessa and Ben:  Jessa, born 92, Ben, born 95

Jinjar and Jeremy: Jinjer, born 93, Jeremy, born 87

So couples fall with a 2 year age difference. Exceptions: Jessa and Ben, and she's a bit older. And the 6 year gap for JinJer.  Hooking Nurie up with someone more than a decade older doesn't fit the Duggar pattern.  Even the ended Josiah courtship had him at 19 and Marjorie at 17, and the new Joy courtship has her at 19, and he is 22 or 23 by any report.

If the guy following them is as old as he looks, and the family is trying to match him to Nurie (no foundation of that seen by me at least), and he really is around 30, then they are not following Duggar courtship practices as age goes.  The Duggars have fairly close age differences, except the JinJer couple, which is 5.5 years apart.  As odd as this "shadowing" experience looks here to us, he just may have been riding their coat tails for attention.  After all, he slept in churches, not with them. He was in his truck, not their RV.  Just sayin' that Duggar marriage or courtship ages aren't that helpful here,just yet.

I have more to come…

November 19, 2016
6:15 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Just went to their FB page. Jill's shirt Powered by Plexus and Jesus… or some such… boring

Long post ahead, get a snack

I've often wondered how they survive financially. I can't imagine that printing ministry makes much money, especially given the money they've sunk into it. Their tracts are just so cheesy and crappy. They are poorly edited, rambling, awkward, with no visual appeal, and have uninspired stock public domain images (oh, except the one with Jill, making a hand-heart over her womb). There is just no realistic way they can compete with the glossy, professional, often inventive, sometimes aesthetically attractive, and well edited tracts from groups like Living Waters or AiG (this is no endorsement of these orgs or the content of their products).  Especially when those religio-corporations have better selections and offer regular discounts, and they are often cheaper in the first place. If proselytizing were my jam, would I rather spend $7 on 100 Rodrigues Water of Life pamphlets with a pretty yet generic waterfall and text with awkward uses of bold, italics, and underlines, or would I prefer spending $5 on 100 Living Waters Star Wars themed tracts that basically have the same text in a more concise text block and engaging images?  The only advantage that the Rodrigues' appear to have is that they have a set fee and easily found option to add custom info for churches and missionaries.  

Beyond the printistry, do they get some kind of income (like a set monthly salary) from somewhere?  Maybe their church or from the place where they are registered missionaries?   Because otherwise I don't understand how they could either rent or buy their house– outright or not.idontknow

shutup 

I really think Jill could do a better job of optimizing her social media.  She should have clear links to her FB, her online plexus shop (I guess? I don't know how plexus sales work within the MLM framework), and all family etsy shops on their blog.  If she hasn't she should probably monetize that blog and youtube channel (if Pimple Popper MD can make enough money to offer free services, they can certainly make some grocery money).  She should take a page from Erika Shupe (among others)  and get some Amazon affiliate links for books she likes and uses (that might not be as easy as it sounds for obvious reasons). But seriously she and the older girls obviously use a ton of product and make-up, why not get some scratch with affiliate links to Amazon and products they use? Why not get a few pennies from their Duggar obsession by linking to the Duggars’ books at amazon?  Or to companies they use, especially if they have storefronts?  I am often very eyeroll-oh-really over affiliate links, but I usually am fine with them when the blogger is open and honest about getting a commission from my order if I click through on their links.  

Has anyone else read or is familiar with Tribes by Seth Goldin (I may have screwed up the author's name)?  The basic premise is that someone in a niche world only needs about 1000 loyal supporters to make a living.  Basically, he argues we're in a world of tribes now, so a person can use their various tribe networks and media to promote their goods/ services.  People in my tribes share with their tribes, who share with theirs and so on.  So for ex., let’s pretend I have an etsy shop and a bunch of social media platforms. my etsy shop is handmade Project Runway inspired potholder and aprons and other kitchen goods, and I talk about and promote them on my social media.  I have a group of fans  that love and buy my stuff, and they have different reasons.  Some love hand-crafted artisanal home goods, others are apron aficianados, some are PR fans, some are family and friends.  So they have their larger circles– tribes– composed of other lovers of hand-crafted home or kitchen goods, aprons, or PR, and their own extended networks of family and friends. I release my latest series of kitchen wear based on PR's best designs from seasons 1-7.  My fans post to their own circles.  Suddenly, my 1000 mushrooms to this person's fellow die-hard PR fans, that person's fellow lover of hand crafted potholder and kitchen towels, this person's apron-loving homemaking cousin, and someone in someone's circle looking for a fashionable and unique bridal shower gift. And so on.grouphug  high-five

So what does this mean for the Rodrigues fam?  If they are well publicizing and networking their various money-making initiatives, they do have many ways to use their tribes to sell their videos, audios, and links to stuff ranging from their own shops for  hand-made rugs, plexus, and jewelry to affiliate links for make-up, hair product, homeschool materials and other books, or whatever else makes sense for them and their tribes.  They appear to have a sizable fan base.  Although she doesn’t show like some bloggers do how  many people follow her or how many page hits she gets,  she has over 600 FB followers, and most of their videos get more than 2000 hits.  Let’s assume that at least some of the followers, readers, and viewers are in her tribes and not just there for the spectacle.  If the family optimized all the platforms at their disposal, they could probably bring in a few hundred dollars more a month, especially if they also noted if any of the funds go to a special purpose (like Nurie going on a mission). Because people also like to feel like they’re contributing to a cause, talking about using funds for their ministry, for a special mission, to get a better computer for using some online homeschool materials, and so on, they could really capitalize on the beliefs and interests of their tribes.  Depending on what the cause is, some of their detractors or just observers might even buy something.  For example, I’m not going to support or facilitate someone going on a mission, but if Nurie were selling things to go to college, especially an accredited one, I’d consider buying a piece of jewelry, especially if I could use it as a gift for a religious friend who is evangelical.

I have no interest in promoting or condoning an MLM scam like Plexusbs, but she’s already selling it (doing well is seems, whatever that means) so she might as well make and use as many opportunities as she can to promote herself.

So if they could get just a few cents for every blog or video hit, they could make some extra cash every month. Let’s say each youtube watch is a penny, and they post 3 that get 2000 viewers in a month, that brings in an extra $60 for them doing what they often do (post videos) and costs viewers nothing. Likewise, if we take 600 of her FB followers, and each of them visits the blog twice a week, clicking 2 things per visit, that’s 2400 clicks per week, at a penny a click, that’s about $24 a week.thumbsup

It really doesn’t seem like they’ve put the time and effort into maximizing the ways that they could make some money from being on social media; maybe they’re too busy with quality homeschooling?.  lmao While I find many monetized blogs to be snark-bait, in this case, I think I’d make an exception because it would actually show that they are trying every means they have to better support the family economically and provide security for those kids.  A huge reason some people have become interested in this family is out of concern for those kids.  The narcissism and selfish of the parents at least could pay off if they took advantage of opportunities easily at hand with the media they already use.

January 8, 2017
12:06 pm
Bacon in Beans at Restaurants
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2245
Snarking Since:
November 10, 2013

So has anybody checked out the latest video?  That Duggar wedding has got Jill feeling all mushy and sentimental, because we are being treated to Jill and David's own wedding video.

I'm gonna try not to be too much of a snarky asshole.  I mean, it's a WEDDING, filled with hopes, dreams, happiness, families, and love. I am sentimental enough to love weddings–to me, the best part is the service, not the reception.

That said…

- the pre-ceremony music features Meemaw Lupole on the hand saw, playing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart."  uh  Haven't seen that since my parents forced me to watch "The Laurence Welk Show."

- Jill narrates the opening ceremony via voice-over. eek No, really! As the bridesmaids/flower girls/ringbearers walk down the aisle to music, Jill can be heard gushing about each one's relationship to her. uh The groomsmen get no similar shout-out, however. 

- The 'maids are wearing skirted suits (Mama Noyes suspiciously dressed similarly) and white gloves, replete with arm bouquet, corsage, and floral headpiece loaded with ribbons & tulle. No lack of flowers here, folks! Lots of poufy 80's hair going on. They'd all have done well as extras in a White Snake video.

- David actually looks pretty good as a young man ('cept for those jug handles). It partially answers the "WHY did she marry HIM?" questions. Unfortunately, he hasn't aged very well. 

- Jill makes for a pretty bride, there is no arguing about it.

- overeager, sweating preacher who emphasizes that "the wages of sin is death." Oh, and "repent of your sins so that you can be saved!" Great material for a wedding. Are all fundie preachers such downers? Or is there no such thing as a purely joyful day in Fundie World? 

- The Noyes Girls (yes, bride included) burst into song; an old-timey gospel number, for all I can tell, to shouts of "Amen!" from the preacher and guests. Sing it, girls–Laurence Welk would LOVE you!

- after the exchange of rings, there is some screechy, slow, awkward vocal number while David and Jill stare into each other's eyes for at least 5 minutes. Jill is thinking, 'OMG so handsome!' David is thinking, "AT LAST!! I AM GONNA TAP THAT SWEET, SWEET ASS SIX WAYS FROM SUNDAY!!"

- the first kiss is very sweet. Awwwwwwwww. I'm not being sarcastic–it really is. cry

- the cake is one of those big ol' multi-layer, multi-platform thing with lots of stairways and bridesmaids/groomsmen perched all over it, and a lighted fountain in the bottom center. CLASS.

- no dancing. Guess their fundie sect doesn't allow it? Do ANY fundie branches allow dancing?

- naughty trick played on the bride and groom trying to make their getaway.  The bride looks appropriately demure and plays along, the groom looks exasperated and like he would gladly shank the person(s) responsible for delaying the start of his carnal feast. 

It's long and mostly boring but enjoy, hams! ham

January 8, 2017
1:56 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Hilarious… I think snarking on the styling is perfectly acceptable.  And I really hope that they didn't pay that videographer.  That was some busted ass shit. Barely audible at times, crappy framing.

I married about 5 months after she did, and I must admit that I didn't try to make my 90s wedding look like an homage to 1985. All that hair.  Her family must be keeping AquaNet and White Rain in business on their own. They could be extras in a White Snake video, as you said, Bacon, or from the movie Working Girl, or any number of TV shows.  I think Linda Gray sported Jill's hairdo on Dallas for a season. Keepin with the 80s' trend, David is working a late 70s/early 80s mustache that could have walked off of a member of teh Village People or Solid Gold dancer.

The maids' dresses are pure secretarial fug. And those flowers they carried?  Ugly pageant arm bouquets.

Granny on the saw? Uh. Umm. Yeah. confused Just weird.

WTH?  She actually seems to have played those tributes to her maids at the wedding itself. That.Is.Just.Really.Really.Odd.

Boringass song after the welcome by the preacher with a strange camera angle framing Jill and her father staring at each other and then some long-winded recorded speech from her father… OMG… another boring song…boringNo wonder David keeps wiping his eyes. He's bored to tears too.

Bashing short wedding ceremonies… somehow he manages to make much of his sermon about himself… bringing up funerals at a wedding…classy.drool I guess, Bacon, no. There is no purely joyous day here.

When they found out about each other… I've heard versions of that line from men seeking foreign, mail-order brides.eek

Seriously, ladies. Save the song and dance floorshow for the reception. How many boring songs can you put in one wedding? a lot, I guess.idontknow

I'm only at 52 minutes and need a break…

January 9, 2017
6:19 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Bacon, before I say something about fundies and dancing, I just want to say I'm jealous they got married on Lake Seneca. We love the Finger Lakes area.

There are some varieties of fundies that permit dancing.  If you see the documentary Jesus Camp, one of the first churches we see Pastor Becky at has a kids' worship dance group performing.  There's a scene at (now-disgraced) Ted Haggard's church and the band playing contemporary Christian music as kinda dancing on stage.  Then there's the whole group at the camp performing some kind of choreography to the song "Kickin' it  for Christ." One of the kids they followed, Tori, is really into dance and talks about how she has to be sure when she dances that it is for God and "Not the flesh."

Purity balls generally have a fair amount of dancing.  The really fancy, expensive ones often have a choreographed ballet by some of the girls before things get started.  the Wilson family, the first family of purity balls, often suggest girls take at least a little ballet to enhance their poise, grace, and femininity.  Some of the documentaries on purity balls often have scenes of the variety of dancing in them– and it isn't just little waltzes.  there's quite a bit of pop/rock sounding music, line dances, and so on.

AO sex ed program Silver Ring Thing includes dances among their outreach and uses dance performances in their AO presentations.  They especially use these tactics in public schools to make them more fun and entertaining for "non-churched" kids.  SRT is openly and specifically a fundie organization that gets into public schools with a free AO sex ed program.  the founder has openly and publicly stated that his goal is to promote abstinence because it is what G-d wants and to reach kids non-Christians kids and bring them to Jesus.

At least one of Ben Seewald's (Jessa Duggar's husband) sisters has taken numerous dance classes and participates (or did, don't know if she still does) in a church dance club or team.

Not all fundies think music (at least music beyond select classical instrumentals and certain hymns) riles desires that can't be righteously fulfilled, or takes away from honoring Christ or G-d, or leads one to worldly ways and interests or tarnishes the soul. 

January 10, 2017
8:32 pm
Honda of Failure
Kitten
Meows: 6
Snarking Since:
October 23, 2016

Well, I didn't mean Duggar style courtship in regards to age- you're correct about that. I meant in terms of the way that the Duggars like to spend a lot of very intense time with the potential husband (moving Ben near them, serving a mission with Derrick, etc). Or at least that's what I perceived. I also think that the successful fundie male pickings are pretty slim…and the Rodrigues family certainly isn't going to get the pick of the litter for an arranged courtship in those social circles like the Duggars would.

January 29, 2017
4:54 am
mar123
Hamcat
Meows: 58
Snarking Since:
August 15, 2015

Jill' DH is Derick not David But I guess they can be forgettable

Speaking of Rodrigues did they show for Jinger's wedding?

January 29, 2017
1:02 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Jill Duggar Dillard is married to Derick Dillard.

Jill Noyes Rodrigues is married to David Rodrigues.

And the Rodrigues family attended Jinjar's wedding.  They even performed at the Duggars' home during the family church service the day after.  They have pics up on the blog.

January 29, 2017
7:02 pm
mar123
Hamcat
Meows: 58
Snarking Since:
August 15, 2015

Oops I forgot the two Jills. I don't keep up with the Rodriguez bunch much.

I think The Rs are seriously hoping someone notices them and gives them a show. Jill R kept parading in front of the cameras at Jill/Dericks wedding.

Little OT but some are concerned for Derick's health He hasn't been right since that surgery.

January 29, 2017
7:50 pm
Spirits of elderflower
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2015

Mar123, in the TV forum, the Duggars' thread has a ton of discussion about Derick's health and the procedure he had. It is largely repetitive, but there is some info about palate expanding surgeries.

Can't say I'm surprised that she'd want a show.  It looks like easy money and a way to get shit. That sad printistry he runs can't be bringing in that much money, and she is so self-centered and attention-seeking. Everything is all about JillRod…drool

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.