:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Sherlock
January 4, 2017
3:27 pm
confusing weiner
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 357
Snarking Since:
June 12, 2014

Gutter Troll Crew meowed
I've read two reviews that were fair but leaned negative, and they both made good points.

The first (at Lainey) was that Sherlock minimized the mystery story. We used to get great character development embedded in a one-episode mystery, and the mystery and character development both contributed to the larger series story arc. But the episode story was the key. Now, the mystery is the least important element of the three, and everything suffers.

The second review (at Den of Geek) pointed out that the episode had three parts: the frenetic setup, Mary's Bond-like worldwide mystery tour, and the denouement, and that they didn't work together very well. They might even have been better as three half-hour episodes.

I agree with both. I have hopes still for the season, since they've also eliminated the fan-service that I found absolutely shittastic in the third season, but this could go either way.

I totally agree with this point. They have focused way too much on the bigger story arc, but it means that the individual mysteries episode-to-episode seem really thin, and the mysteries are why the show was great.

I also agree that Mary's storyline just didn't seem believable at ALL. Maybe it was the particular actress and how soft/passive she seemed, but the whole killer/spy thing felt extremely forced.

January 8, 2017
7:02 pm
Salad Spinner of f**k
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 816
Snarking Since:
April 21, 2012

I'm hearing from people on IG and Twitter that this episode is supposed to be much better than the last one.

Any UK hams who've already watched The Lying Detective?

** FKA 3rdworldterp and Busted Coccyx Club**
January 9, 2017
1:48 pm
confusing weiner
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 357
Snarking Since:
June 12, 2014

Just watched the new episode this morning, and I rescind all my previous criticism!! Not going to spoil anything – suffice to say that Mark Gatiss & Stephen Moffat are v v good.

oregonian_winesmiley

January 9, 2017
4:17 pm
Baby Cakes
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1110
Snarking Since:
April 30, 2012

Much better episode this week. Although I do loathe the trope of "messages beyond the grave" to solve a mystery. Other than that though, I enjoyed it so much more than the previous one.

January 10, 2017
10:52 am
I LOVE YOU DENNIS WEAVER!
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 8363
Snarking Since:
November 13, 2013

Second episode was bizarrely different from the first. I liked it better because it focused more on the mystery and it interesting to see John explain to these super clever clocks that they'd been wrong about him. He's always been my favorite character. 
I also really love when Mrs. Hudson lays down the law. 

Formerly Delusions of Adequacy // It's ooober
January 16, 2017
12:40 pm
my friend, another
Hamcat
Meows: 165
Snarking Since:
February 5, 2014

The Final Problem was confusing and weird. I guess Mycroft starting working for the government at age 13, given that he was allowed to know the whereabouts of his sister and his parents were not, lol. 

January 16, 2017
6:08 pm
Circus Flamingo
Kitten
Meows: 10
Snarking Since:
February 12, 2016

my friend, another meowed

The Final Problem was confusing and weird.

And the writing was so lazy at times. Last week's cliffhanger was only mentioned in a single line. How did he get out of there, and what was the point if they're not going to address it? Same thing with the … "big event" … in the flat (don't want to spoil it). It felt so contrived.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.