:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

A Cup of Jo
April 15, 2014
1:48 pm
skinfolk

Additionally, since Jo linked to a QA with her in the sleep post, am I the only one who gets bad vibes from her friend Leigh (@marvelouskiddo)? I used to follow her blog, I think she stopped it or made it private, but now I follow her on IG.

I am not snarking on attachment parenting, extended BFing, co-sleeping etc. To each their own. But Leigh is so in your face about the BFing thing, so many pics literally of her boob with a kid hanging off. It just seems so needlessly exhibitionist, especially considering it is a moment of comfort and safety for the child.

Great that you BF your 2 year old, but why do you need to plaster these pics all over IG? Over and over again? Are you dying to get reported so you can make a huge uproar over the injustice toward breastfeeding mothers? And everything tagged #normalizenursing or whatever. Uh, women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time. It IS normal. What's not normal is your compulsion to document it on a public social media feed.

Also her post about her family of 5 co-sleeping in the bed. Again, no issue with co-sleeping in general but she makes a comment insinuating her husband doesn't like it b/c he wants intimacy with her (he has to sleep on a twin bed on the floor, with a 5 year old). She thinks that's "sweet" but she gets physical touch all day from the kids so she has no need for that. Just doesn't strike me as the healthiest balance, if she's making derisive comments like that.

April 15, 2014
2:07 pm
Hilary Faye
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3097
Snarking Since:
April 18, 2013

skinfolk said
Additionally, since Jo linked to a QA with her in the sleep post, am I the only one who gets bad vibes from her friend Leigh (@marvelouskiddo)? I used to follow her blog, I think she stopped it or made it private, but now I follow her on IG.

I am not snarking on attachment parenting, extended BFing, co-sleeping etc. To each their own. But Leigh is so in your face about the BFing thing, so many pics literally of her boob with a kid hanging off. It just seems so needlessly exhibitionist, especially considering it is a moment of comfort and safety for the child.

Great that you BF your 2 year old, but why do you need to plaster these pics all over IG? Over and over again? Are you dying to get reported so you can make a huge uproar over the injustice toward breastfeeding mothers? And everything tagged #normalizenursing or whatever. Uh, women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time. It IS normal. What's not normal is your compulsion to document it on a public social media feed.

Also her post about her family of 5 co-sleeping in the bed. Again, no issue with co-sleeping in general but she makes a comment insinuating her husband doesn't like it b/c he wants intimacy with her (he has to sleep on a twin bed on the floor, with a 5 year old). She thinks that's "sweet" but she gets physical touch all day from the kids so she has no need for that. Just doesn't strike me as the healthiest balance, if she's making derisive comments like that.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THAT INSTAGRAM

HER BOOB IS JUST OUT THERE. LIKE THE WHOLE BOOB. 

Not coy/modest nursing photos like what Jo and others have posted, with baby cradled close and most things obscured; like, her boob is LAYING ON THE BED while her TWO-YEAR-OLD CHILD FEEDS HER/HIMSELF (can't tell). And there are MULTIPLE pictures like this.

Sorry for the caps overload. But has she thought about how traumatized her kid is gonna be someday when his/her friends look up Mommy's instagram and see these graphic photos? I get that she finds nursing her child to be beautiful, but some things just DO NOT NEED TO BE SHARED ON THE INTERNET. 

When will people learn this???

April 15, 2014
2:18 pm
Starla
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 647
Snarking Since:
December 18, 2013

I just looked at this chick's IG as well and felt an irrational amount of hatred for how much she's betraying her child's trust there. It is fine to advocate for something you believe in, but make it YOUR battle. Not your child's. I felt that way about the Time magazine mom too. Preach all you want but when your kids are not old enough to even fathom consenting to it…christ. The therapy that blogger kids are going to need angry

April 15, 2014
2:51 pm
welcome to the world

Hi, my name is _____, and my baby sleeps in the bathroom too.
I've been wanting to confess this in the That Wife thread, but haven't had a chance to. Anyway, we have two bedrooms and two kids. The kids are very light sleepers. If they slept in one room neither one would get any sleep. Once the baby outgrew the bassinet we decided to put the crib in our master bathroom. The kids go to sleep around the same time, but one is still nursing throughout the night and the other one will wake up screaming if someone so much as farts within hearing. True story.
The bathroom has a vent system, so the air is fresh, and it's actually warmer than our own bedroom due to our weird heating system. Also, we have stopped using the bathroom since the baby began to sleep there– no using the toilet, no showering. We don't even brush our teeth there any longer. We're hoping to transition the kids into sleeping in one bedroom sometime in the next few months, but for the time being we too have a "bathroom baby."
idontknow

April 15, 2014
5:25 pm
Hair and Babynaming Genius
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 318
Snarking Since:
June 19, 2013

…not related to anything anyone is talking about right now, but…

OH MY GOD, THERE WAS A PERSON OF COLOR FEATURED ON CUP OF JO!

Amazing! 

I didn't know she knew non-whites existed (see also: "curly" hair tutorials)

ETA: OMG, there have been two in the past week. Is this Caroline's influence? If so, you go, Caroline.

April 15, 2014
7:49 pm
ham goggles
New York
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1035
Snarking Since:
February 2, 2012

skinfolk said

Yes. Can't stand her. I don't want to give too much detail because I don't want to out myself but I was at a function that Leigh was at shortly after she had the youngest kid. A function involving a meal. That she breastfed during.

This is fine done discreetly, but as you can see from her IG, nothing is done discreetly. So, in a room of Joanna, et al, I had to hear about how "beautiful of a mama" she is and how she's "so brave". puke

April 15, 2014
10:39 pm
RUFF
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 554
Snarking Since:
September 1, 2012

I'm sorry but if my mom had posted photos of her breast feeding me all over the internet I would be MORTIFIED. They have feeding blankets you can wear and it makes BF easy and ooo lah lah chic! But really, yes, BF is natural. So is farting, but I don't spend my days crop dusting everywhere I go bc it's 'healthy…' Nope. Just no. Put your boob away. It is not BRAVE. It's bs.

April 15, 2014
11:08 pm
ImNotWitty
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 212
Snarking Since:
February 9, 2014

Things I can't stop laughing at:
"Bathroom baby" and "BF is natural. So is farting."
lol smiley-laughing004

April 15, 2014
11:24 pm
Cold Leftovers
Califurrnia
Hamcat
Meows: 151
Snarking Since:
April 3, 2012

Covered or uncovered, it's all about what a woman's comfortable with. I've done it both ways… was weirdly more insecure the second time around and came up with my own nifty nursing tank solution– I cut Clockwork Orange-style nipple holes/slits out of a plain, unlined cami, and wore it under normal shirts that had a deeper neckline, so the baby could nurse her without flashing everyone and without a giant scarf/blanket production– that shit sucks. A basic lightweight infinity scarf also does the trick..
Oops did I just turn this into a mothering.com thread? Sorry! hammer

But yeah, the excessive breast-selfies are weird… Natural or not. Didn't Nat the Fat Rat do That too?

April 16, 2014
7:31 am
lampshade188
Hamcat
Meows: 55
Snarking Since:
September 27, 2012

Call me dense, but I don't understand the point of the pillow next to the toilet. What is it supposed to do? Absorb germs? (Seriously, I don't get it.)

April 16, 2014
8:21 am
GreenBrayRoad
Hamcat
Meows: 164
Snarking Since:
April 13, 2012

RUFF said
I'm sorry but if my mom had posted photos of her breast feeding me all over the internet I would be MORTIFIED. They have feeding blankets you can wear and it makes BF easy and ooo lah lah chic! But really, yes, BF is natural. So is farting, but I don't spend my days crop dusting everywhere I go bc it's 'healthy…' Nope. Just no. Put your boob away. It is not BRAVE. It's bs.

Are you seriously comparing farting to breast feeding?

April 16, 2014
9:23 am
Turtle Dub
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 303
Snarking Since:
June 13, 2013

Yeah, breast feeding does not equal farting. You know what it does equal? Eating. There are ways to do it, nursing cover or not, that are more discreet than just letting a boob flop about…but however you do it, it's still just feeding a kid.

But back to Jo – sponsored post up yesterday about how to apply bronzer, curtesy of Nordstrom. Whatever. What gets me is that she wrote at the bottom that she issues Nordstrom for all beauty-related purchases, which is a crock of shit. I can't recall ever reading about Nordstrom on CoJ, but what I do recall us seeing a post that mentions Sephora every few months. "My dears, this weekend Toby and I are going to Sephora to try out peach lipstick? Would you dare?"

April 16, 2014
9:53 am
Ah Wilderness
Hamcat
Meows: 168
Snarking Since:
September 20, 2013

lampshade188 said
Call me dense, but I don't understand the point of the pillow next to the toilet. What is it supposed to do? Absorb germs? (Seriously, I don't get it.)

I was a little baffled too, but it looks like it's to protect him from hitting his head against the toilet from inside the pack&play, since it's pushed RIGHT UP AGAINST the toilet.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy. For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

What are the Forum Ranks?