:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Into The Gloss/Glossier
January 10, 2017
11:18 pm
Terminal Snowflake Snydrome
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 275
Snarking Since:
July 31, 2012

saaaaame meowed
Swooping in again. 

I have a (superior, cheaper, more healing) dupe for the Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich for you guys, and a breakdown of the whole fiasco, but I need to go meet a client right now. I'll be back with some delicious information soon. sani_unicorn

Yay!! popcornpopcornpopcorn

January 11, 2017
2:55 pm
Maxi Romper
Hamcat
Meows: 55
Snarking Since:
March 1, 2016

saaaaame meowed
Swooping in again. 

I have a (superior, cheaper, more healing) dupe for the Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich for you guys, and a breakdown of the whole fiasco, but I need to go meet a client right now. I'll be back with some delicious information soon. sani_unicorn

yaaaas!  can't wait to hear because i have very dry skin and am always looking for good moisturizers.  sani_elephantdance

January 11, 2017
4:34 pm
suicidal houseplant
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 626
Snarking Since:
February 12, 2016

I love how they say that $35 is a good deal because most heavy duty moisturizers are upwards of $250. How bourgeois!

My CeraVe moisturizing cream is $15 for a giant tub, has a pump, and doesn't f**k with lavender. So.

January 11, 2017
7:05 pm
saaaaame
Cat
Meows: 12
Snarking Since:
November 1, 2016

Lol. 

Glossier is officially the most “let them eat cake” thing ever. People can’t find products that work and that they can afford? Why don’t they just buy these more expensive, less substantial alternatives?

The most crazy pants part is how they keep saying it’s an alternative to $250 creams and that makes it a bargain. I thought the whole Glossier thing was that they were just talking “girl to girl, let’s cut through the bullshit”. So this is pretty insulting.

This is 1oz of a capric triglyceride/glycerin/fatty alcohol/hyaluronic/ceramide cream. CeraVe moisturizing cream is the basis for this type of cream.

Quick price comparison 

Cerave: $11.79 / 16oz

$0.73 / 1oz

Glossier:$35/ 1.7oz

$20.58 / 1oz

So that just makes Glossier’s more irritating, more comedogenic rip of CeraVe only 28.2 times, or 2,820 % the price. *cute glossier sticker* 

Onto dupes:

So there’s actually three Glossier priming moisturizer rich dupes. All three have ingredients lists and mix proportions that are greatly similar to the Glossier one. 

Also, for reference: Glossier PM rich is $35 / 1.7 oz + shipping.

The first Glossier dupe is the already mentioned Cerave.

Cerave Moisturizing Cream  - $11.79 / 16.0 oz

This stuff is extremely effective. And as houseplant mentioned (hey girl – that’s the best gif ever), you can get this with a pump. 

The second is the most similar to the Glossier PM rich  – this is the best Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich dupe.

ATAL’S Ultimate Youth Moisturizer – $20 / 1.7oz

It has many, many of the same ingredients including even the wacky trace elements like apple fruit extract, but more actives, no lavender, and no dimethicone. Plus it’s about half the price. I feel like the same lab probably may have mixed both PM rich and this one because of the weird coincidences in trace elements. 

The third is one that is a good bet if you really want to throw the kitchen sink on your face and you don’t have a lot of cystic acne. 

Era Organics 10-in-1 Healing Facial Moisturizer $23.87 / 4 oz 

If your skin is genuinely, problematically dry and you have a need for something that’s going to heal and create more of a protective occlusive effect than the Cerave, this ones for you. Basically, if you’re a hippie with sun damage. 

So which is the best Glossier dupe?

Pick Cerave cream if you want something basic that really works, no bells and whistles or heavy oils. It is 28 times less expensive than Glossier.  

Pick the Atal cream if you want a dupe with better actives that skew chemical (peptides, ceramides, retinol). It is half the price of Glossier.

Pick the Eva Organics cream if you want a dupe with better actives that skew natural (manuka honey, natural fermentations, algae, olive oil, oat aminos). It is four times less than Glossier.

Note on comedogenicity – yep, Glossier is probably going to do some pore clogging, as will these dupes. Honestly, anyone with especially sticky sebum or who is acne prone doesn’t need a “heavy” cream, just an effective one.  

It’s pretty funny how everyone (who isn’t one of the people getting free shit) in the comments is calling them out about how they didn’t actually do anything to listen to their base. Glossier went to the manufacturer with a wish list from their commenters/community and totally threw it out the window as soon as they realized it was going to make the cream actually expensive/time consuming to develop.

Also: You can totally put heavy creams in tubes (think of all the lip balms and ointments in tubes!) It’s just more expensive because a lot of places that make the cream do not have the right machines to force viscous products into tubes, so it has to be moved to a separate facility and this adds one more step. 

January 11, 2017
8:07 pm
suicidal houseplant
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 626
Snarking Since:
February 12, 2016

Thanks so much once again for the thorough response! As I mentioned above, that CeraVe tub is my absolute jam for how basic yet good it is, I definitely love it for my sensitive, breakout-prone skin. I also just use it on my whole body because it's that cheap.

January 11, 2017
8:23 pm
Terminal Snowflake Snydrome
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 275
Snarking Since:
July 31, 2012

saaaaame meowed

Lol. 

Glossier is officially the most “let them eat cake” thing ever. People can’t find products that work and that they can afford? Why don’t they just buy these more expensive, less substantial alternatives?

The most crazy pants part is how they keep saying it’s an alternative to $250 creams and that makes it a bargain. I thought the whole Glossier thing was that they were just talking “girl to girl, let’s cut through the bullshit”. So this is pretty insulting.

This is 1oz of a capric triglyceride/glycerin/fatty alcohol/hyaluronic/ceramide cream. CeraVe moisturizing cream is the basis for this type of cream.

Quick price comparison 

$0.73 / 1oz

$20.58 / 1oz

So that just makes Glossier’s more irritating, more comedogenic rip of CeraVe only 28.2 times, or 2,820 % the price. *cute glossier sticker* 

Onto dupes:

So there’s actually three Glossier priming moisturizer rich dupes. All three have ingredients lists and mix proportions that are greatly similar to the Glossier one. 

This stuff is extremely effective. And as houseplant mentioned (hey girl – that’s the best gif ever), you can get this with a pump. 

The second is the most similar to the Glossier PM rich  – this is the best Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich dupe.

It has many, many of the same ingredients including even the wacky trace elements like apple fruit extract, but more actives, no lavender, and no dimethicone. Plus it’s about half the price. I feel like the same lab probably may have mixed both PM rich and this one because of the weird coincidences in trace elements. 

The third is one that is a good bet if you really want to throw the kitchen sink on your face and you don’t have a lot of cystic acne. 

If your skin is genuinely, problematically dry and you have a need for something that’s going to heal and create more of a protective occlusive effect than the Cerave, this ones for you. Basically, if you’re a hippie with sun damage. 

Pick Cerave cream if you want something basic that really works, no bells and whistles or heavy oils. It is 28 times less expensive than Glossier.  

Pick the Atal cream if you want a dupe with better actives that skew chemical (peptides, ceramides, retinol). It is half the price of Glossier.

Pick the Eva Organics cream if you want a dupe with better actives that skew natural (manuka honey, natural fermentations, algae, olive oil, oat aminos). It is four times less than Glossier.

Note on comedogenicity – yep, Glossier is probably going to do some pore clogging, as will these dupes. Honestly, anyone with especially sticky sebum or who is acne prone doesn’t need a “heavy” cream, just an effective one.  

It’s pretty funny how everyone (who isn’t one of the people getting free shit) in the comments is calling them out about how they didn’t actually do anything to listen to their base. Glossier went to the manufacturer with a wish list from their commenters/community and totally threw it out the window as soon as they realized it was going to make the cream actually expensive/time consuming to develop.

Also: You can totally put heavy creams in tubes (think of all the lip balms and ointments in tubes!) It’s just more expensive because a lot of places that make the cream do not have the right machines to force viscous products into tubes, so it has to be moved to a separate facility and this adds one more step. 

This is great info, thanks! A number of friends/acquaintances with lovely skin use Cerave, I don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger but I think I will. The Glossier packaging is very pretty, they definitely got that right.

Since you are clearly in the know, any intel on Goop's skincare line? I keep looking at the discovery set because I'm curious, but I hate the idea of putting my money in Gwynnie's pocket. I guess I'd get over it if they're legit products, but all of the reviews I've seen seem to be from fawning bloggers who got free product so it's hard to be sure.

January 11, 2017
8:48 pm
PropBaby
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 456
Snarking Since:
July 29, 2016

I keep hearing you hams say the best things about Cerave so I finally picked up a few different products for face and body today. Excited to try!
I confess, I have a lot of glossier products because when they first launched I loved everything about it. I particularly loved their head (I think?) editor, Annie Kreighbaum.
After trying out many many things and not liking about 90% of them, at this point the only thing I still regularly use is milky jelly (I will say I do really like it,) the pink pouches for travel and the boy brow. The supers were very disappointing in my opinion and I never could get on board with the moisturizer (it didn't nothing for me just sat on my skin) nor the perfecting skin tint. Generation G is okay, I have a couple colors but it's nothing special. Not a huge fan of haloscope. I was given the black tie kit by my sister for Christmas and while it's fun I will never use all of the products regularly. Like maybe the eyeliner here and there, then nail polish for a pedicure this summer and the haloscope once every few months. Also, the balm dot coms are literally Vaseline. They're fine but again, nothing special.
A bit off topic but a friend of mine worked with Emily Weiss pretty closely at Teen Vogue and she is NOT a nice person. Very self righteous and arrogant and thought she had authority over people she did not. Not too surprising to me but thought I'd share.

January 11, 2017
9:25 pm
Foam cartridge sensor pump
Hamcat
Meows: 84
Snarking Since:
August 3, 2016

This is amazing information! Thanks for taking the time to list everything out and provide a thorough comparison.

I have to ask, and I totally understand if you don't have the time to respond saaaame, but what do you think of Lotion P50 from Biologique Recherche? I hate to admit this, but ITG raved about it and so I started using that with the masque vivant (the smell is so bad!), and it's the first time I've ever noticed a difference in my skin – a woman actually randomly complimented my skin at the airport recently. Are there any comparable products? It's just so expensive

January 11, 2017
10:09 pm
Alice
Hi Im Alice And Ill Be Your GOMI Admin Today
Meows: 14990
Snarking Since:
September 3, 2008

suicidal houseplant meowed
Thanks so much once again for the thorough response! As I mentioned above, that CeraVe tub is my absolute jam for how basic yet good it is, I definitely love it for my sensitive, breakout-prone skin. I also just use it on my whole body because it's that cheap.

I use the regular CeraVe lotion instead of the cream and I pimp it to anyone who will listen. It's the greatest body lotion on earth imo. I like their PM face lotion too. 

~ you and people like you ~
January 12, 2017
9:17 am
Satans Fluffer
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 339
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2013

Alice meowed

suicidal houseplant meowed

I use the regular CeraVe lotion instead of the cream and I pimp it to anyone who will listen. It's the greatest body lotion on earth imo. I like their PM face lotion too. 

smiley-signs064
Agreed, and the CeraVe Renewing SA Cream in the tub healed my feet. That stuff is magic. No more cracked heels.

January 12, 2017
10:04 am
Maxi Romper
Hamcat
Meows: 55
Snarking Since:
March 1, 2016

saaaaame meowed

Lol. 

Quick price comparison 

$0.73 / 1oz

$20.58 / 1oz

Onto dupes:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!sani_unicornsha_clap2grouphug

January 13, 2017
12:49 pm
Jasperz_Meow
Hamcat
Meows: 64
Snarking Since:
November 12, 2014

Just adding my voice to the chorus praising saaaaame for her wisdom. Thanks to her I returned my Vintner's Daughter oil and checked out The Ordinary (honestly, too many products and too confusing for me, but I'm still playing with the stuff I got), and am feeling smug about my years long support of Cerave (cleanser and moisturizer), and also wondering why I have spent so much on other stuff.

Thanks, saaaaame!   party0006

January 13, 2017
12:51 pm
rocketman
Hamcat
Meows: 152
Snarking Since:
April 28, 2015

Jasperz_Meow meowed
Just adding my voice to the chorus praising saaaaame for her wisdom. Thanks to her I returned my Vintner's Daughter oil and checked out The Ordinary (honestly, too many products and too confusing for me, but I'm still playing with the stuff I got), and am feeling smug about my years long support of Cerave (cleanser and moisturizer), and also wondering why I have spent so much on other stuff.

Thanks, saaaaame!   party0006

What did you get from the Ordinary? It's on my to-buy list when my Supers run out.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.