:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

ARCHIVED: CecilyK
September 6, 2013
8:49 am

SadlyAlas said

mystic pizza said
Yes, the comments about Tori are making me go : / That backpack looks plenty big to me, how much stuff does she really need to bring on the first day? And she took a stuffed animal… so what? Jeez.

Let's turn the conversation back to Cecily's writing before everyone starts posting about how they dressed their kids in impeccable outfits on THEIR first days.

Besides, if she went to a school where actual books were needed and homework was done, I'd think she needs a bigger backpack. Let's face it, it's not like the school requires her to carry anything academic back and forth. Her backpack is for lunch and toys.

It's for showing, not blowing.

I am in the boat that feels totally sorry for Tori because I just foresee a long road ahead of her where life is going to be hard because her parents are setting her up with very little in the way of social skills. When I see Tori going to the first day of school in play clothes and hair that looks unwashed, I don't think, "Oh God, that kid is so gross." I just shake my head and wonder why it doesn't occur to Cecily to make sure her daughter is clean and looks presentable for the first day of school. Tori is 7. She doesn't know any better. Cecily is the adult and the mother. It is up to her to provide Tori with hygiene lessons, good food at home, a more enriching environment than Mortal Kombat and Minecraft. None of that is Tori's fault, at all. It makes me really damn sad because Cec and Poet are old enough to know how to do the basics for their daughter and yet they don't, because they're too lazy and they think they're proving something to the world by letting their child roam around dirty and using curse words and such. 

And I just want to say re: the backpack, that size wouldn't fly even at my daughter's preschool. They specifically requested one big enough to fit a standard sized school folder for work to be sent home in. My guess is the Philly Free Skool isn't into traditional things like "sending home work for the parents to see in the folder." 

September 6, 2013
9:11 am
gwenhara
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3336
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2012

Let's do a quick run-down:

• Cecily removed Tori from real school because she was being "bullied"
  • We know Cecily's definition of "bullying" amounts to "if I don't like what you say, you're a bully."
  • Daddy Useless thinks he's some boho non-conforming antidisestablishmentarian and is too good to be a pawn of the "man"
  • They find this "unschooling" school at the time that unschooling becomes a hot trend (pageview$!!)
  • The unschooling school's lack of curriculum allows Cecily and Daddy Useless to not be a part of Tori's education and it won't expose to the world that Cecily and Daddy Useless are idiots
  • The curriculum, or lack of it, allows Cecily to consider Angry Birds, Dr. Who, and the iPad as wholly educational with limited input from her
  • Tori's chances of exceeding the intellectual/educational capacity of her parents is severely hampered, but she does seem to enjoy the "school"
  • Tori has expressed an interest in art, but Cecily and Daddy Useless are too cheap to buy her supplies and/or expect the unschool to provide such things for her (which is ridiculous.  Put her in a real school if you want that type of support).
  • These two don't respect education and they don't respect societal expectations so why would they help Tori put her best foot forward on the first day of school?
September 6, 2013
1:05 pm
mrsholmes
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1416
Snarking Since:
July 18, 2013

I love it when she tries to engage/suck up to the bloggess and all there is is crickets from the bloggess' end.

September 6, 2013
2:32 pm
Juju
Hamcat
Meows: 118
Snarking Since:
September 3, 2012

The fattest fat who ever fatted said
How is it you hams can tell something was spilled on Tori's leg.  I actually pulled the picture down onto my desktop and looked at it very closely.  Those look like bruises on her little shins.  How are y'all able to know that is dirty or something that spilled?  I seriously cannot see it.

It was coming from her  under right knee in the picture and looked like it ran down her leg.  I saw bruises on her shins but whatever that was didn't look like a bruise.  I could absolutely be wrong.  I have rough nd tumble girls who always have bruised shins.  This didn't look like  a bruise to my "trained" eye.  If it was nothing but a bruise (or discoloration or a birth mark) I apologize.  If it's not, I maintain spit and a shirt gets most stuff off skin.

September 6, 2013
2:44 pm
RESPECT the Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Stupidity
MEOWGOD
Meows: 12780
Snarking Since:
April 11, 2012

She's on her way to DC.  Who is paying for this?

September 6, 2013
2:48 pm
Si

Coach Clodhoppers said

And I just want to say re: the backpack, that size wouldn't fly even at my daughter's preschool. They specifically requested one big enough to fit a standard sized school folder for work to be sent home in. My guess is the Philly Free Skool isn't into traditional things like "sending home work for the parents to see in the folder." 

Cue instagram photo of something from said school, with a "look what they sent home!" in 5, 4, 3………

September 6, 2013
2:50 pm
John Boehner's

Toasty said
In response to the woman who asked us all to take a good hard look at ourselves *roll eyes* . Are you for real? Do you actually believe anyone is actually snarking on Tori herself? Personally, I rarely comment on Tori but it doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for the kid. Her parents are clueless and what makes it worse is they paid a heavy emotional and financial price to bring her into the world. After all that time and effort, wouldn't all these little childhood milestones be carefully prepared for and celebrated? A week or so ago Cecily was tweeting how she was so jealous of seeing the other parents sending their kids back to school and she was stuck with Tori till the 5th September. Sadly, alas, even with the extra time to prepare,Tori was still sent off first day of school with a dirty old backpack and a half-arsed pic where Cecily couldn't even manage to get the child's full head in the shot.

FFS just the other day at school pick up I heard a couple of mother's lamenting the wholly inappropriate outfit of one of the kids, whose mother works away from home most of the week, and the father lets it be known that doing even the most basic things, like getting the kids to and from school (forget any extra-curricular activities, he downright refuses) is a huge tiresome burden. Did I think those women were snarking on the kid herself, or feel I should ask them if their own kids would be proud of their snarking? No fucking way. I felt sorry for the kid in question and pissed at her clueless father.

Your kids don't need to be the centre of your universe, although considering the great lengths she went to have her, you'd think Tori would be for Cecily, but they at least deserve to have a few special things cherished and celebrated, like first day of school.

Yeah… I think you're missing the main point of JMF's post, because while the nitpicking over Tori was what he/she used as the strongest examples, the bigger picture was that the nitpicking has grown to be merciless, hypocritical, and unrealistic.

I've stopped participating in the thread because frankly I don't understand a lot (probably not most, but definitely a lot) of the comments.  Some examples of Cecily crimes pointed out recently:

- That T's legs are dirty in the back-to-school pic.  Really?  Girl has some normal kid bruises.

- The backpack in the same pic.  I mean again, really?  How much shit do you think a second grader is bringing home each day?  I clicked on the pic expecting to see some tiny Hello Kitty-type deal but instead was greeted with… a normal backpack.  And like JMF said, for all we know Tori wanted to use that backpack again because she loves it.  I sure as shit didn't get a new one each year!  And those "stains" are just where it's worn; that's not coming off in the wash.

- She has old books in her office, and zomg, she's not dusting them EVERY SINGLE DAY!!1!

- There is SOMETHING ON THE FLOOR in [insert example] pic! Why did she not pick it up before taking the photo!?

- Tori isn't wearing a $40 glittery pink dress with a Disney Princess on it / J.crew jumper on her first day back to school!  Again, why assume that she would be happier in something like that than what she actually wore?  I remember in 4th grade for my first day back to school I insisted on wearing this ratty old Mickey Mouse t-shirt I found in my sister's old room.  

- Using boil-in-the-bag rice.  My god, the number of times that was brought up.  All ya'll who nitpicked on that surely clenching your organic, bulk-purchased bags of rice in bags in protest while doing so.

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind, but there's plenty more.  

All that said, Toasty, I do agree with you that when people voice concerns about T, it's not on her, it's on her parents.  And it is hard to keep comments on her off-limits, for example, when she heartbreakingly talked about getting "fatter every day." 

Honestly, no wonder Cecily and others don't take seriously the thoughtful, well said criticisms that are often posted here, because they're hard to find mixed in with the ranting that is so unbelievable and ensconced in personal bragging that it's hard to find.

angry laugh

September 6, 2013
2:59 pm
Leftover Facial Bread
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1017
Snarking Since:
February 4, 2013

I'm with the camp who questions adopting a pet during bankruptcy. 

But I'm still aghast as to why she got a kitten for Tori right when she was going back to school. The poor kid was sitting around the house with nothing to do all summer, she's been asking for a kitten for years, and Cecily waits till summer is over??? Since this is their second cat, this is probably Tori's big chance to raise a kitten during her childhood. There will be a few short months while it is still a kitten, and that would have been a great project for Tori over the summer. But, no. If I was Tori I would feel like slapping her every time she posted a photo of herself cuddling the kitten while I was stuck in school. She is totally pigging this experience her kid is supposed to be having!!! angry

Then Tori gets out of a long day of school and is made to shovel out the litter box. I know it's supposed to be HER kitten, but Cecily is home all day enjoying that kitten, so it seems unfair that mainly Tori has to do the shitty part. Under normal circumstances I would totally agree that a child who gets "their own" kitten should have to do that, but in this situation, I really don't want to hear Cecily flap her lips over her great parenting. 

September 6, 2013
3:21 pm
mrsholmes
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1416
Snarking Since:
July 18, 2013

Respect privacy and lies OH MY said

She's on her way to DC.  Who is paying for this?

This is her session:
Powerful U: Living Beyond Hurt

September 6, 2013
3:31 pm
ativan annie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2996
Snarking Since:
January 18, 2013

I just lurk here, but I really don't get all the upset over the content of this thread.  I don't have any one blogger that I focus on, I just kind of wander around and read a thread here and a thread there.  And I think that almost every thread is similar to this one.  Every thread has a couple of commenters who are over the top, every thread has a ton of speculation, and every thread has snark that seems pretty ridiculous to someone who doesn't really care one way or another about the blogger being discussed (ever read the purse discussions in the Londoner thread?).

I think the tricky thing here is that Cecily is a mommy blogger, and uses her kid as content quite a bit, so people end up talking about the kid.  I imagine it does cross the line in there somewhere, but I think everyone has a different opinion on where that line might be.

As someone else said, if you really are concerned about her daughter reading here someday, then you probably shouldn't be posting here about her mom either.  That will just as hurtful (maybe more so).

September 6, 2013
3:47 pm
Freshly Powdered Gunt
Hamcat
Meows: 64
Snarking Since:
July 20, 2013

ativan annie said
I think the tricky thing here is that Cecily is a mommy blogger, and uses her kid as content quite a bit, so people end up talking about the kid.

Exactly. Mommy bloggers are showing and telling the world how they are parenting their child(ren). Some are better at it than others. And then there is Cecily.

September 6, 2013
4:24 pm
John Boehner's

ativan annie said
I just lurk here, but I really don't get all the upset over the content of this thread.  I don't have any one blogger that I focus on, I just kind of wander around and read a thread here and a thread there.  And I think that almost every thread is similar to this one.  Every thread has a couple of commenters who are over the top, every thread has a ton of speculation, and every thread has snark that seems pretty ridiculous to someone who doesn't really care one way or another about the blogger being discussed (ever read the purse discussions in the Londoner thread?).

I think the tricky thing here is that Cecily is a mommy blogger, and uses her kid as content quite a bit, so people end up talking about the kid.  I imagine it does cross the line in there somewhere, but I think everyone has a different opinion on where that line might be.

As someone else said, if you really are concerned about her daughter reading here someday, then you probably shouldn't be posting here about her mom either.  That will just as hurtful (maybe more so).

I see where you're coming from, but it's this:  it becomes less of a conversation, and place for actual reflection about blogs, when it's filled up with the over-the-top comments.  No, this isn't a scholarly forum, but I don't think it's crazy to wish for it to be a rational place.

September 6, 2013
4:51 pm
suesnell
Kitten
Meows: 4
Snarking Since:
May 18, 2013

Back story question: why do people always mention burgers when referencing Charlie?

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy. For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMI. GOMI makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.