:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Darkest Night (and other new audio dramas)
November 6, 2016
1:25 pm
GlindaTheGoodB***h
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 436
Snarking Since:
December 11, 2015

Anyone listen to Darkest Night yet? I really, really liked it and recommend it for people who like horror or psychological thrillers. I've been on the scripted podcast bandwagon since Wormwood (which is still my favorite) so I'm really excited to see more come out.

It seems podcasting as a medium has really hit it's stride now which is super exciting! Gimlet has several new podcasts out that I'm looking forward to listening to (Crimetown, Undone) but also Homecoming which is their first scripted show and features Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, David Schwimmer, David Cross, and Amy Sedaris. Pretty crazy cast.

Looking forward to hearing what hams thinkemoticon-animal-001

December 28, 2016
3:45 pm
Warren Beatty
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 539
Snarking Since:
June 4, 2013

I just listened to the trailer. Super creepy! I'm excited to binge the first 10 episodes! What is Wormwood about?

January 17, 2017
6:38 pm
Snarky McSnarkypants
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1183
Snarking Since:
April 2, 2012

Adding it to my list! What other podcasts in this genre do you like? I've already got Limetown, Black Tapes, and Tanis.

January 18, 2017
1:09 pm
Warren Beatty
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 539
Snarking Since:
June 4, 2013

I loved Darkest Night. Are there any other podcasts you like that have the "someone's creeping up behind you" sounds?

January 20, 2017
1:22 pm
Snarky McSnarkypants
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
April 2, 2012

I'm a few episodes into Darkest Night now and I'm having issues with the quality of the audio – it keeps getting quiet and then loud. Also, that chat at the beginning is ANNOYING.

January 25, 2017
2:04 pm
crispenclean
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 632
Snarking Since:
February 13, 2014

Darkest Night: I had high hopes for this one, but it's not doing it for me. On the one hand, it's definitely compelling, suspenseful, and certainly horrifying; on the other hand, a lot of the stories are cheesy, juvenile, and pretty ridiculous, not to mention often gross. The writing is sloppy and while some of the actors are decent, some of them seem to have emerged from a high school theater club (and not in a "hey, you're really talented!" kind of way). True horror messes with your mind and doesn't have to rely on gore, IMO. The framing of the lab story is sort of annoying and I think I can tell where it's headed.

Much more sophisticated and subtle was the Limetown podcast, and truly hair-raising at times. Does anyone know if that's coming back for another season?

January 29, 2017
5:58 am
snarkasaurus
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 586
Snarking Since:
November 4, 2011

Unsolved Murders and Hollywood & Crime are both true-crime audio dramas that I think are pretty well done. Not too over the top so as to lose sight of the story. I wasn't sure I'd like the whole audio drama thing, but it's entertaining.

January 29, 2017
8:11 am
Satans Fluffer
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 341
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2013

crispenclean meowed

Darkest Night: I had high hopes for this one, but it's not doing it for me. On the one hand, it's definitely compelling, suspenseful, and certainly horrifying; on the other hand, a lot of the stories are cheesy, juvenile, and pretty ridiculous, not to mention often gross. The writing is sloppy and while some of the actors are decent, some of them seem to have emerged from a high school theater club (and not in a "hey, you're really talented!" kind of way). True horror messes with your mind and doesn't have to rely on gore, IMO. The framing of the lab story is sort of annoying and I think I can tell where it's headed.

Much more sophisticated and subtle was the Limetown podcast, and truly hair-raising at times. Does anyone know if that's coming back for another season?

I forget where I heard it but it was announced that Limetown was coming back. I hope!

I was into Darkest Night until it felt gratuitously gorey and, as you mentioned, cheesy (the whole sick uncle thing, cliches, etc.) and I haven't finished the series. It needs some polishing.

January 30, 2017
11:13 am
Snarky McSnarkypants
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
April 2, 2012

crispenclean meowed

Yeah, I listened to the entire season of Darkest Night but it didn't grab me enough to listen to future seasons. I've read here somewhere that the people behind Limetown are doing a book and/or movie, so I'm not holding my breath for S2. Right now I'm listening to Homecoming, which is pretty good. It's definitely a slow burn, though.

January 31, 2017
12:46 pm
waitsaywhat
Cat
Meows: 17
Snarking Since:
July 18, 2014

Here's the Limetown update:

Since our final episode aired in December, we have received a lot (a lot (A LOT) a lot) of emails and tweets and Facebook messages and telegraphs and smoke signals asking about season 2 of Limetown. We’ve found this to be a good sign that what we created either resonated or pissed you off enough to write, which is pretty great for people who make stuff up for a living.

(And here we should swerve for a second. We really can’t thank you, the listening audience, enough. We’ve said this several times in other places, but our expectations for Limetownwere not very high, and then the world split in half when we were #1 on iTunes for 10 days, and our lives have been transformed by it. We formed Two-Up in the hopes of making it beyond 6 months, and now we are able to think much larger than that. Which leads us back to where I was going in the first paragraph.)

In regards to Limetown season 2, or any other expansion of the Limetown podcast universe, we fully plan on this happening. To be honest, we have no release dates for this, and it might take some time. I know this probably makes you mad, and you’re probably wondering what the hell else we’re possibly doing, which is fair. That’s why we’re writing.

We want to update you on what the hell else we are doing.

First off, we recently signed a book deal with Simon & Schuster for a Limetown prequel novel. We are working with the uber-talented Cote Smith on this, who is an actual writer (be sure to check out his debut novel, Hurt Peoplehere). The broad idea here is to create something for you, the people who already know the story, but also something for everyone else, who has no idea what Limetown or podcasts are. 

Secondly, we have cruelly teased some of you with it, but yes, we also working on aLimetown television pilot.

(Another aside, and something you can completely skip if you want: for those who don’t know, working in film was always the goal for us. We only created this podcast for two reasons:
  1. We have limited disposable resources.
  2. We used to have full-time jobs, and it’s hard to do anything else when you have those.

So when we discovered something we could do with limited resources that could actually be done in the spare time we had available, we did it. To be clear, it was still a long and painful process. We started in the fall of 2013, and the first episode was released in August 2015. When it was released, there was a draft of a script for episode 2, and an outline for the entire season, meaning everything else was completed and released in real time. This was terrible, and I don’t recommend anyone doing it. However, because of this insane decision to invest everything we had into a podcast, we generated a rather sizable audience, as well as attention from the industry in which we wanted to be working in the first place. It doesn’t make sense, I know, but this again dovetails nicely into where I was going before all this…)

We have nearly completed a first draft of the pilot, and we feel pretty great about it somehow. But this doesn’t mean anything, because there are so many steps between a draft and your television. We have to convince a studio to pay for it, actors to be in it, and then networks to air it. All of these steps are very hard, and there’s a good chance it all falls apart pretty quickly. BUT there’s also the chance this happens, and then we’re making a TV show.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Because of the uncertainty of all this, and because we don’t want to completely screw up the opportunities before us, we can’t jump into another season of the podcast until our television fate is sealed in either direction. Sorry. I know you hate hearing that. We hate saying it. But it’s the truth, and we feel that’s the easiest thing to write an email about.

There are a couple layers of good news here, however. The first being that regardless of what happens, we will be making more Limetown in the podcast space. We love you too much, and, frankly, we owe it to the medium. Podcasting is great, and there’s so much room for innovation and growth, and we love being a part of it.

The second layer of good news is that we are developing a completely new and separate podcast series which will probably really surprise you, but we think you’ll be really into. Or not. It could be a complete disaster. BUT THAT’S WHY IT’S SO FUN TO BE ALIVE. As is our style, we will remain vague on the details for now, but everyone involved is pretty excited about it and we can’t wait to reveal it to you.

So, that’s it. That’s all of it. Thank you for trudging through this, and we look forward to reading on Reddit about how long this email was!

Love,
Zack & Skip

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.