:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Gimlet Media podcasts
December 23, 2016
5:27 pm
mondotopless
Cat
Meows: 36
Snarking Since:
June 17, 2013

Anyone a Gimlet listener? I've been listening to Reply All since it came out, and I've gotten into a couple of the new shows. Their first scripted podcast, Homecoming, is a great binge listen (they just did their 6th/final episode of the season) and since I know a bunch of us are true crime fans, the creators of The Jinx have a podcast called Crimetown.

There's also the drama surrounding Starlee Kine's dismissal from Mystery Show, which I guess is a little extra excitement. I have liked almost every podcast that I've listened to on Gimlet and if you haven't heard anything on the network, you owe it to yourself to check out Reply All at least.

December 23, 2016
7:35 pm
blackrimmedglasses
Cat
Meows: 38
Snarking Since:
February 10, 2014

Reply All is my favorite podcast – its the first one I listen to if an episode is available – love those guys.

I enjoyed Homecoming and had been saving them up so was able to binge them.  It was a little hard to follow at first – its like having to use a different muscle to listen and follow the story.

I am a big fan of the new show Undone – have loved every episode of that one so far.

At first I was upset for Starlee Kine because I really liked The Mystery Show but then I did some more reading and I guess she was drawing a salary for the better part of a year but still didn't have anything to construct an episode with.  I'm guessing Gimlet couldn't just keep paying her without the show producing something.  I hope she finds a new home for the show and can do another season.

Have you listened to Jane Marie's new podcast DTR?  It's produced by 'Gimlet Creative' which I guess is an off shoot of Gimlet Media but the show is sponsored by Tinder so its kind of an ad but still worth a listen – I don't think its a gem but I find it entertaining when on an airplane.

December 23, 2016
8:02 pm
Alice Morgan
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 751
Snarking Since:
September 12, 2014

Yeah, in Starlee's own words, Gimlet was providing her with "my staff, my salary, my benefits, my budget…." She mentions that she was having trouble with season two, but she avoids saying that Gimlet was paying for all this stuff even though she hadn't recorded a single new episode of Mystery Show for well over a year.

Perfectionism/writer's block is a b***h, and I think that's what's going on with her, but I can't blame Gimlet for not wanting to pay her and her staff to do nothing, indefinitely. I'm surprised that they put up with it for over a year. I wouldn't.

Hopefully she'll figure out the next season and find a new home for the show.

Sure is paranoid. Needs some rest.
December 24, 2016
8:08 am
Satans Fluffer
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 339
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2013

Ah, I'd been wondering why there were no new episodes of The Mystery Show for so long but hadn't looked into it. Thanks for the info! I hope she finds a way to bring it back.

December 24, 2016
11:58 am
mondotopless
Cat
Snarking Since:
June 17, 2013

blackrimmedglasses meowed
Reply All is my favorite podcast – its the first one I listen to if an episode is available – love those guys.

I enjoyed Homecoming and had been saving them up so was able to binge them.  It was a little hard to follow at first – its like having to use a different muscle to listen and follow the story.

I am a big fan of the new show Undone – have loved every episode of that one so far.

At first I was upset for Starlee Kine because I really liked The Mystery Show but then I did some more reading and I guess she was drawing a salary for the better part of a year but still didn't have anything to construct an episode with.  I'm guessing Gimlet couldn't just keep paying her without the show producing something.  I hope she finds a new home for the show and can do another season.

Have you listened to Jane Marie's new podcast DTR?  It's produced by 'Gimlet Creative' which I guess is an off shoot of Gimlet Media but the show is sponsored by Tinder so its kind of an ad but still worth a listen – I don't think its a gem but I find it entertaining when on an airplane.

Undone has been collecting in my feed since it came out. I listened to the disco episode and just didn't find it that compelling, but I'll give it another shot. This is nuts, but I've only listened to the video store episode of Mystery Show- gotta check out the others. I understand where Gimlet was coming from but I hope she can pull something new together soon.

December 24, 2016
10:02 pm
bb loaf of bread
Hamcat
Meows: 118
Snarking Since:
May 17, 2012

I'm a total Gimlet addict. Haven't listened to Homecoming yet (I'm wary of scripted shows, but your takes are encouraging) or the "branded" ones, but it's definitely the podcasting empire (lol) that I trust the most. 

I feel super dumb reading what y'all are saying about Mystery Show. I heard the brief "update" they gave (I think on Startup?) and read Starlee's update on facebook, and thought it seemed like she'd been wronged/shoved out by them, but it makes much more sense that they were funding the show and the staff etc and finally cut the cord when no season 2 was really forthcoming. 

December 25, 2016
4:31 pm
sleeepy
Cat
Meows: 34
Snarking Since:
November 2, 2012

I also love Reply All, especially the Yes Yes No segments. 

I have loved Jonathan Goldstein for years, so it follows that his Heavyweight is a good listen.

December 26, 2016
11:51 am
mondotopless
Cat
Snarking Since:
June 17, 2013

OMG, Heavyweight! Yes, that one is fantastic and oddly moving. And I have come to really love Jonathan Goldstein too, he is hilarious! Any recs where I could check out further stories/projects of his? I am vaguely familiar with him from This American Life, though I can't recall any specific stories from him that I've enjoyed over the years.

December 26, 2016
8:19 pm
Leslie NOPE!
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 209
Snarking Since:
May 5, 2014

Love Reply All! I've been slow to check out the other Gimlet podcasts–they hit my radar when just the two minute teasers were out, and I'd forgotten about them since–so thanks for the nudge to do so!

Sidenote: I have the hugest crush on PJ Vogt's laugh. It's like sunshine. 

December 27, 2016
4:13 pm
Warren Beatty
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 538
Snarking Since:
June 4, 2013

Leslie NOPE! meowed
Love Reply All! I've been slow to check out the other Gimlet podcasts–they hit my radar when just the two minute teasers were out, and I'd forgotten about them since–so thanks for the nudge to do so!

Yup, I love his voice. 

Also, +1 to Homecoming. I've never listened to a scripted podcast before and I loved every episode. 

December 28, 2016
3:54 pm
stay at home dog mom
Hamcat
Meows: 92
Snarking Since:
August 10, 2016

Leslie NOPE! meowed

smiley-signs064 Was just thinking about his laugh. He is so sexy to me. I'm a big reply all fan, but have the first episode of all the new podcasts downloaded and ready to go for my long haul flight :) 

January 9, 2017
6:43 am
shilly no mates
Hamcat
Meows: 57
Snarking Since:
June 22, 2016

Came here to +1 on Heavyweight. I've been binge listening over the past couple of days and am really loving it. Some of the stories are so moving and Jonathan Goldstein is awesome. 

I've also been listening to a few episodes of another Gimlet podcast, Surprisingly Awesome. I've found it a bit hit and miss but some episodes have been super interesting. 

January 14, 2017
7:43 pm
sleeepy
Cat
Meows: 34
Snarking Since:
November 2, 2012

mondotopless meowed
OMG, Heavyweight! Yes, that one is fantastic and oddly moving. And I have come to really love Jonathan Goldstein too, he is hilarious! Any recs where I could check out further stories/projects of his? I am vaguely familiar with him from This American Life, though I can't recall any specific stories from him that I've enjoyed over the years.

He was the host of the CBC show Wiretap. 

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/wiretap

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.