:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Running Coaches
October 12, 2016
1:55 pm
littlebear
Hamcat
Meows: 85
Snarking Since:
March 13, 2014

Yes.  It's hard.  That's why I think it's good to talk to people (besides bloggers who are shilling services) that have used the coaches.  It can help you to see what the plans are like as well as the availability for questions.  What you don't want is someone who isn't going to be able to communicate regularly with you and change plans to fit your needs with scheduling from week to week or injuries or just not being able to complete workouts.  I think it's a good idea to almost do virtual interviews with the coaches via email or chat to get them to answer some of these questions because there is such a wide variety.  If someone isn't willing to do that and spend the time answering your questions, then they aren't going to be "there" for you when you need them during the training process.

You might want to check out your local running stores for in person coaches.  I know that two of ours have very good, highly qualified coaches that have a lot more experience than just the "certification".  Seriously some of the people that I know that are certified haven't done nearly the amount of reading about running that I have done, but they want to act like they can throw a plan together.others-221

October 12, 2016
2:07 pm
snart
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 210
Snarking Since:
October 30, 2015

I've done the online-coach thing, and the local coach thing, and I have discovered that my personality works well with a local coach. The online coach I had was really good at answering questions/providing feedback often, but she never actually saw me run, and, (this might not be important to others) she was not at all familiar with the geographical area I was running in. With my current (local) coach, he often suggests running routes right in the training peaks notes, and we do a lot of group training with other coached athletes.
He also comes to many of my races (especially local ones) which is supportive.

I enjoy training with a group sometimes, so this works well for me.

To be nosy…how much do other coached hams pay per month? I pay just over $200/month.

October 12, 2016
3:05 pm
moelarrycheese
Hamcat
Meows: 173
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

I feel like I got lucky with my group. I don't necessarily spend a ton of time talking to the main coach but if I have questions about his plan (which he drew up for me per my current fitness level and goal), he answers email in a few hours, or I ask questions in person at group workouts. So, not sure if that $200 involves a whole lot more, but I have a plan, can ask questions and if I need to adjust something he helps with that. I paid only $90 for the season (which is half the year). It's a huge group though (paces ranging in the 6:00 to walk/run folks), so there maybe economies of scale there for him (where enough people don't require much attention that the dollars add up and compensate for those people that do need more attention). 

October 12, 2016
3:19 pm
Foam cartridge sensor pump
Hamcat
Meows: 84
Snarking Since:
August 3, 2016

snart meowed
I've done the online-coach thing, and the local coach thing, and I have discovered that my personality works well with a local coach. The online coach I had was really good at answering questions/providing feedback often, but she never actually saw me run, and, (this might not be important to others) she was not at all familiar with the geographical area I was running in. With my current (local) coach, he often suggests running routes right in the training peaks notes, and we do a lot of group training with other coached athletes.
He also comes to many of my races (especially local ones) which is supportive.

I enjoy training with a group sometimes, so this works well for me.

To be nosy…how much do other coached hams pay per month? I pay just over $200/month.

I pay 125.00 for 8 week strength training and 185.00 for training programs (about twice a year).  Then, group speedwork sessions are free. So, rough calculations, I pay about 90-100/month, if you stretch the training plan cost over the entire year.  I wind up working with him probably 3-4x a week.

My coach offers private sessions, but I think those are like 195.00 per session.  He also has a more traditional weightlifting strength program once a week (think like deadlifts, etc), and I don't remember how much it is, but I remember it's pretty expensive.  I think he has some other services too, such as gait analysis, etc. 

January 11, 2017
1:15 pm
Flock ME
Hamcat
Meows: 57
Snarking Since:
September 12, 2014

Has anyone used Nark Running Strategies?

January 11, 2017
6:00 pm
moelarrycheese
Hamcat
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

Flock ME meowed
Has anyone used Nark Running Strategies?

There are several people on IG that use him (maybe that's how you heard of him…).

I get the feeling he knows his stuff.

February 8, 2017
2:26 pm
pumpkin
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 911
Snarking Since:
October 6, 2011

I'm reviving this thread after seeing Holly (LOLZ) is being trained by McKirdy.  I feel like all I see are the stupid #mckirdytrained hashtags.  Anyone else notice this?  He kind of gives me the jeebs…seems like a really odd guy.  I almost feel like this explosion of IGers taking him on as a coach is going to put him in the same position that MPR (Hadley) was in…too many runners, blanket programs, etc.

February 8, 2017
3:26 pm
moelarrycheese
Hamcat
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

pumpkin meowed
I'm reviving this thread after seeing Holly (LOLZ) is being trained by McKirdy.  I feel like all I see are the stupid #mckirdytrained hashtags.  Anyone else notice this?  He kind of gives me the jeebs…seems like a really odd guy.  I almost feel like this explosion of IGers taking him on as a coach is going to put him in the same position that MPR (Hadley) was in…too many runners, blanket programs, etc.

It seems like he is going more for the McMillan model. Having quite a few coaches to farm out to. Not sure that Hadley did that? But I'm not familiar with him. I think if he has enough good coaches, then he can accommodate lots of runners. 

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.