:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Open-Thread / Wild Tangents / xoConspiracy / etc
December 11, 2015
10:45 am
pingity1
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 952
Snarking Since:
May 3, 2014

Thanks for the info. I read the intro or whatever, but I guess I was expecting more cohesion. It was probably just a bad rec for me.

December 11, 2015
11:11 am
Staircase Wit
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 334
Snarking Since:
January 21, 2015

Benedick c**terb***h meowed 
The new Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was not good. Lisbeth is barely in it, and even though the writer is Swedish, I felt like it was too Americanized. It just paled in comparison. Honestly though, I feel like it was an enterprise doomed to fail.

Thanks for this.  The idea of a new author helming it sounded terrible from the start, and from what you've said they lost two of the best things about that series.  Dropping it from the curious list. oregonian_winesmiley

December 11, 2015
11:52 am
Our Lady of the Sickbed Selfies
Hamcat
Meows: 112
Snarking Since:
May 4, 2015

Any of you guys true crime fans? I need some new sites. Work has been slow with the whole Christmas/holidays thing, and I feel like I've exhausted Sword and Scale and the Reddit forums. 

December 11, 2015
11:57 am
xoVal
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1157
Snarking Since:
April 21, 2015

Abby Bernstein meowed
Any of you guys true crime fans? I need some new sites. Work has been slow with the whole Christmas/holidays thing, and I feel like I've exhausted Sword and Scale and the Reddit forums. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously

Some of them have pages, and you can google people/cases that interest you. 

You can also wiki killers/famous cases.

Also – literally any of the cheesy Investigation Discovery shows. Behind Mansion Walls is a fave.

ETA:I finally brokedown and started listening to Serial yesterday (and they just released the first episode of season two). So if you haven't listened give it a shot.

Fuck that idea like the fucking Captain of the Thai Fuck Team fucking at the fucking Tour de Fuck
December 11, 2015
12:09 pm
Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 4, 2015

xoVal meowed

Abby Bernstein meowed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously

Some of them have pages, and you can google people/cases that interest you. 

You can also wiki killers/famous cases.

Also – literally any of the cheesy Investigation Discovery shows. Behind Mansion Walls is a fave.

OH right. I forgot about that Wikilist. Thanks. Servicey!

I can't do video at work because it slows down our tiny-ass network too much, but when I am at home I have ID shows on a lot because I am a crazy person and consume those shows like so much potato chips. Love Behind Mansion Doors, Disappeared, and Stalked (omg I LOVE Stalked!!)

I usually have longform.org on standby, but my attention span can't handle it today and I keep zoning out. 

Actual picture of me: drool

December 11, 2015
12:12 pm
KillerMermaid
Cat
Meows: 49
Snarking Since:
January 17, 2014

I read Americanah because of a GOMI rec. It's not my typical read, but I enjoyed it. 

I second the John Dies at The End and Murakami recs. Although I'd space Murakami out because he has a very defined schtick, he's a bit like Palahniuk in that regard. 

If anyone's into sci-fi I cannot recommend the Ravenor series by Dan Abnett enough. It was my first incursion into sci-fi and I was immediately hooked. The last book is coming next year iirc. He kinda stumbled in Pariah, but it's still a great read.

Oh! Oh! Also, the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch. It's also a book away from completion. Great writing, fast paced, funny, and entertaining. 

Spanish is my first language, but I read a ton of stuff in English to keep my fluidity fresh. I'm interested in Margaret Atwood, so if anyone can recommend something by her I'd really appreciate it.  I'll rec a bunch of Latin American stuff if anyone's interested, btw. 

December 11, 2015
12:58 pm
xoVal
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1157
Snarking Since:
April 21, 2015

Speaking of true crime – anyone else see the Making a Murderer trailer? SO EFFING EXCITED.

Fuck that idea like the fucking Captain of the Thai Fuck Team fucking at the fucking Tour de Fuck
December 11, 2015
1:12 pm
Swastika Handbag
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 732
Snarking Since:
July 24, 2014

xoVal meowed
Speaking of true crime – anyone else see the Making a Murderer trailer? SO EFFING EXCITED.

bandwagon Can't wait!

December 11, 2015
1:28 pm
Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 4, 2015

The Face of xoJane Mistakes meowed

xoVal meowed

bandwagon Can't wait!

Oh wow. I had no clue this was happening and I am excited. Also it looks like Netflix is doing a TC series? sani_elephantdanceparty0006emoticon-animal-018oregonian_winesmiley

December 11, 2015
3:27 pm
cascarrabias
Hamcat
Meows: 159
Snarking Since:
November 27, 2013

KillerMermaid meowed
I read Americanah because of a GOMI rec. It's not my typical read, but I enjoyed it. 

I second the John Dies at The End and Murakami recs. Although I'd space Murakami out because he has a very defined schtick, he's a bit like Palahniuk in that regard. 

If anyone's into sci-fi I cannot recommend the Ravenor series by Dan Abnett enough. It was my first incursion into sci-fi and I was immediately hooked. The last book is coming next year iirc. He kinda stumbled in Pariah, but it's still a great read.

Oh! Oh! Also, the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch. It's also a book away from completion. Great writing, fast paced, funny, and entertaining. 

Spanish is my first language, but I read a ton of stuff in English to keep my fluidity fresh. I'm interested in Margaret Atwood, so if anyone can recommend something by her I'd really appreciate it.  I'll rec a bunch of Latin American stuff if anyone's interested, btw. 

Yes to the Latin American recs pls! 

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.