:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

New Here? Start Here.
July 3, 2014
9:05 am
WheresMyCoffee
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 7314
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

This was from the man thread, just adding it here. I found none of this, it was other sleuthy ham-ishy cats: (and am just now catching up, so if I missed anything please add. Its around page 2624 of the main thread. Hope that helps xo WMC)

Accused of copying in 2008… Unfortunately it looks like all the TYH/YHL links are deleted.

http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/1138046/tyh-just-saying

http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/1143501/omg-who-do-we-think-this-is#7717944

WAYBACK MACHINE LINK TO "DITTO" http://web.archive.org/web/20081120164921/http://www.thisyounghouse.com/2008/08/ditto/

July 21, 2014
7:26 pm
Donald Trump of Bloggers
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 391
Snarking Since:
May 15, 2014

A few people suggested that I add this rant here so that newbies can understand what we (former fans) are saying when we comment that they're a) lazy or b) not working this as a business. I now give you: maths!

I'd like to say in my defense that I got a little excited and a little mad and was a little bored this fine Monday morning. Thus I give you numbers!

I've come to realization that they're incredibly moronic and naive about how the reduced posting schedule is screwing them over. Since we know they read here  let me spell it out.

1. No freaking buddy is wondering how you "squeeze in" all that work while nursing. No one. Very few people would care if you were simultaneously writing a book (not curate, but write), climbing Kilimanjaro, and making love to ceramic animals and wall coverings 12 hours a day. You're at stay-at-home, comment moderating, occasionally working, Instagram obsessed mommy blogger. You have all the time in the f'ing world.

2. I got curious about their reduced posting schedule so I pounced on the archives and here's what they did for during 1 week in July and the comment count in ():

First up last week:

2014:

• July 14 – painted a chandelier (214)
  • 
July 15 – thinking about the laundry (328)
  • 
July 16 – Freebie (73)
  • 
July 17 – Anniversary post (230)

That's 845 comments across 4 posts in 5 days (avg of 211)

2013:

• July 22 – half bath vanity & toilet paper roll (457)

• July 22 – Freebie (205, yes even with a rafflecopter)

• July 23 – show house announcement (496)

• July 24 – sentimental art for Aunt Katy i.e. water color painting with Klara (243)
  • 
July 24 – half bath art, light ORB (265)
  • 
July 25 – John runs some tv cable to the bedroom (231)

In one week that's 1897 comments across 6 posts in 5 days (avg of 316).

2012:

• 
July 23 Paint Swatches for the master – paint palates (278)

• July 23 Freebie (6243) Kohler sink btw, same as 2013 giveaway

• July 24 Window shopping (151)
July 24 Repainted the master bedroom (559)

• July 25 John did a color run/shirt "art" (472)
July 26 Egg Chair (306)
  • 
July 26 Reader Redesign (124)
  • 
July 27 Mood Board vs actual living room (175)

That's 8308 comments across 8 posts in 5 days (avg of 1038)

2011:

• July 25 painted and stamped Klara's Kloset (352)
  • July 25 Giveaway (no rafflecopter) 6876
  • July 26 Introduce Pinterest Challenge(440)
  • July 26 ORB and hung 2 prints (633)
  • July 27 House Crashing (284)
  • July 28 Identify these flowers for me (230)
  • July 28 added 8 small prints to 8 giant ikea frames (332)
  • July 29 Superlatives (259)

That's 9406 comments across 8 posts in 5 days (avg of 1175)

THAT is why Liberty and the book people should be worried. THAT is why John and SB should be freaking out right now. Not because fewer page clicks = less income. Because in 2 years they've reduced their average weekly comments by 80%.

I tried to compare apples to apples because otherwise we'd hear a lot of "it's summer, people are traveling" and I purposefully avoided the 2012 posts on building a deck. But look at the amount of effort from 2 years ago: giveaway, window shopping, reader re-design and color run were "fluff" posts. Very little work required. "Meaty" posts were picking paint colors, painting, egg chair "remodel" and comparing inspiration to reality.

And last week we got fluff in terms of a freebie and we went out to dinner for our anniversary and "meaty" we painted and hung another light fixture and might do the laundry solution you designed for us.

JOHN AND SHERRY – THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE MAD AT YOU. THIS IS WHY GOMI HAS 2700 PAGES OF SNARK. It's not because John wears a ratty hat in pictures or Sherry has a ponytail. It's entirely because you have let down your loyal fans by squandering your opportunities and acting like entitled, selfish asshats.

"Oh, did you know we had a baby?"

Fine, jackasses. Let's go way back to 2010. You know, the year Klara began bringing you page clicks? Since she was born in April and Teddy in March by this time of year she was actually younger than your "newborn."

2010:

• July 19 Reader Redesign (60)
  • July 19 Freebie (1419 – no rafflecopter)
  • July 20 Office Art (286)
  • July 20 Roof material post (65)
  • July 21 Guest Post DIY Ottoman (100)
  • July 21 Water filter for sink (95)
  • July 22 Freebie winners (5)
  • July 22 Ways to Crisp up a room (151)
  • July 23 Reader Redesign (57)
  • July 23 Burning Question – 1 paragraph filler post (147)

That's 2385 comments across 10 posts in 5 days (avg of 238)

Don't tell us it's harder with 2 kids either (as if no one in the world has children). Either Klara is perfect and thus requires no attention or is a typical 4 yo who has her own needs for attention/care – you don't get it both ways.

FWIW I have a friend with 4 children under the age of 4 and a law practice and she works much harder and complains much less then these 2.

Don't tell us that it's "so hard" you had to cut back "for balance" because reducing your posts by over HALF in 4 years time is lazy. This is the full time job of 2 individuals who took "work smarter, not harder" to mean "how little can we get away with?"

This is exactly why I'm no longer a fan. You took an amazing gig where you could be with your kids 24/7 and inspire millions of people to do great projects in their own homes and you ORB'd it, threw "pops of color" on the edges, pimped it for pageclicks and then threw it in your "storage space" and complained about it. sangry

Just show me the math? We compare 5 days in July for 5 years:

• 2010 – 10 posts – 2385 comments – 238 comments/post
    2011 – 8 posts – 9406 comments – 1175 comments/post
    2012 – 8 posts – 8308 comments – 1038 comments/post
    2013 – 6 posts – 1897 comments – 316 comments/post
    2014 – 4 posts – 845 comments – 211 comments/post

Eliminating the freebie posts:

• 2010: 9 posts – 966 comments – 207 comments/post
  • 2011: 7 posts – 2530 comments – 361 comments/post
  • 2012: 7 posts – 2065 comments – 295 comments/post
  • 2013: 5 posts – 1692 comments – 338 comments/post
  • 2014: 3 posts – 772 comments – 257 comment/post

*This does not take into account how many comments came from SB because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

July 22, 2014
6:12 pm
mapz
Cat
Meows: 11
Snarking Since:
June 8, 2013

This is just what I was looking for! I too looked for a wiki page but couldn't find one….thanks for the run down, especially yours, shitty homemade gift. One more question though – where do they live? (General area). In some of the links I saw people made it sound like Chicago but then someone said they are close to Colonial Williamsburg?

September 4, 2014
3:30 pm
randomfollower
Kitten
Meows: 1
Snarking Since:
September 3, 2014

New here. Enjoying (some of) the snark and wondering if all of you have home design blogs you actually like and would recommend? Maybe from bloggers with better design sense than J+S? But aimed at people normal-ish houses/design challenges? (Or point me to the right thread if I've failed to locate it.)

September 4, 2014
3:35 pm
WheresMyCoffee
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 7314
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

randomfollower said
New here. Enjoying (some of) the snark and wondering if all of you have home design blogs you actually like and would recommend? Maybe from bloggers with better design sense than J+S? But aimed at people normal-ish houses/design challenges? (Or point me to the right thread if I've failed to locate it.)

http://gomiblog.com/forums/young-house-love/gomi-blog-roll/

August 6, 2015
10:36 pm
G0MIADDICT
Cat
Meows: 11
Snarking Since:
May 22, 2015

New here and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to start a thread idontknow …tried looking it up but was unable to find anything

August 6, 2015
10:58 pm
SCC
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4585
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

G0MIADDICT meowed
New here and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to start a thread idontknow …tried looking it up but was unable to find anything

Welcome oregonian_winesmiley

When I am here,  http://gomiblog.com/forums/young-house-love/  there's a button in upper right to start a new topic. 

I just looked at Forum Ranks and I think you can't start a new thread until you have 10 posts, you have 11, so you should be able to start a new thread

http://gomiblog.com/forum-ranks/

The GOMI Forums have ranks you can unlock based on how many posts you have made in the community. The breakdown is as follows:

Up to 10 posts: Kitten
11-50 posts: Cat
51-99 posts: Hamcat
100-499 posts: Senior Hamcat
500-999 posts: Expert Hamcat
1000-4999 posts: Feline Porklord
5000-10,000 posts: Hamprince of Meowtonia

Different ranks have different privileges. You must have at least 10 posts before you can start a thread. After 50 posts you can edit your own posts until someone posts after you, and you can add a signature to your profile which will appear at the bottom of your posts. After 500 posts you can edit your own posts forever and delete your own posts.

**Leading By Example**
August 6, 2015
11:42 pm
Matching Adult Sized Care Bear Undies
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 961
Snarking Since:
March 6, 2013

Shabby Chic Chick AKA Master The Taco meowed

G0MIADDICT meowed

When I am here,  http://gomiblog.com/forums/young-house-love/  there's a button in upper right to start a new topic. 

I just looked at Forum Ranks and I think you can't start a new thread until you have 10 posts, you have 11, so you should be able to start a new thread

The GOMI Forums have ranks you can unlock based on how many posts you have made in the community. The breakdown is as follows:

Different ranks have different privileges. You must have at least 10 posts before you can start a thread. After 50 posts you can edit your own posts until someone posts after you, and you can add a signature to your profile which will appear at the bottom of your posts. After 500 posts you can edit your own posts forever and delete your own posts.

My life will not be complete until I reach Feline Porklord status. I need to get my snark on more frequently. Luckily, YHL is coming back!

Cheetah will let her displeasure be known.
August 7, 2015
1:07 pm
Delusion Tonic
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1277
Snarking Since:
September 8, 2014

Matching Adult Sized Care Bear Undies meowed

Shabby Chic Chick AKA Master The Taco meowed

G0MIADDICT meowed

My life will not be complete until I reach Feline Porklord status. I need to get my snark on more frequently. Luckily, YHL is coming back!

You're almost there, Matching Adult Sized Care Bear Undies!  And your name btw is one of the *all time best ever on GOMI*!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.