:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Stuff People Who Don't Know %^@# Do to Houses
May 11, 2015
10:49 pm
Pantybunched Hyena

Geez, sorry that's so enormous!

I lived in an old house that had been converted into apartments. When our disposal clogged (which it did ALL. THE. TIME.), water would pour out of the power switch. What made it exceptionally weird was that the power switch was at least 2 feet to the left of the sink and 18 inches up the wall.

May 17, 2015
10:26 pm
Justataste
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 450
Snarking Since:
June 13, 2013

The lady we bought our house from was a bit eccentric and planned to live in her 'suite' on the top floor and rent the bottom. So she had the top 3 bedrooms turned into 1 bedroom and a common area (good thing she hadn't done the kitchen part yet) and the bathroom had a GLASS (clear) sliding door.. ??? we figured we'd just replace the door… then add a new doorway and make another bedroom- turns out she took most of the doors off the rest of the house too- because we found (and put back on) about 8 doors we found in the shed! 

She also had a nice garage addition built with outlets and lights, but there was no power running out to the garage, nor can  there be without a new fuse box… 

Also, she must have hated caulk. Windows leak, doors breezy, floorboards had spaces… needless to say we have used a LOT of caulk around here. 

Lastly- CORK FLOOR IN THE KITCHEN. worst idea ever. I have mutilated that thing with scratches- way too soft for a kitchen, and the instructions on care say do not get it wet.hmm.

May 18, 2015
10:36 am
HeckRazor
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 210
Snarking Since:
May 11, 2015

OMG. That all sounds crazy, but this:

Lastly- CORK FLOOR IN THE KITCHEN. worst idea ever. I have mutilated that thing with scratches- way too soft for a kitchen, and the instructions on care say do not get it wet.hmm.

We put a cork floor in our kitchen, but we sealed it with polyurethane. It takes the normal drips and spills just fine. I don't know what would happen if we had a pipe burst or something and had standing water on it, but it's been five years and we have had no problems and no dings or scratches. I have two kids and a medium-size dog so it gets quite a bit of use. I actually liked the softer look it had before we sealed it, but, yeah, it needs to be sealed or it is easy to rough up.

Cork is environmentally friendly, easy on your feet/knees and does not show dirt at all (maybe I am showing what a lax housekeeper I am, but this was a big selling point).

Sorry, not trying to WK your crazy upstairs suite lady, but wanted to chime in.

/cork floor evangelizing

May 20, 2015
9:53 pm
ungranola
Hamcat
Meows: 128
Snarking Since:
August 26, 2012

Retiled our bathroom (that we think was done in the 1960s…house is from 1875). The floor tiles were GLUED (not mortared) directly to the wood subfloor. I am still surprised that there wasn't more water damage to the wood over the years. God knows what we will find when we do the kitchen (which is also 60s-era)

May 21, 2015
3:11 am
Gusset
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1079
Snarking Since:
October 20, 2012

ungranola meowed
Retiled our bathroom (that we think was done in the 1960s…house is from 1875). The floor tiles were GLUED (not mortared) directly to the wood subfloor. I am still surprised that there wasn't more water damage to the wood over the years. God knows what we will find when we do the kitchen (which is also 60s-era)

scared

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.