:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

YHL - Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due
August 14, 2015
2:22 pm
FailDecor
Hamcat
Meows: 82
Snarking Since:
July 2, 2014

1. the short handle paint brush, used it to paint my house last year

2. H1, LOVED the kitchen and liked the dining room to 3rd bedroom transformation, of course they used contractors and a kitchen designer for these

3. The IKEA wardrobes as built in bedroom storage, loved it, so many older homes have tiny closets. This is probably their best DIY

4. H1 nursery, I liked the pale blue/pear green gender neutral color combo

once they started blogging full time they did a lot of crap projects and made bad design decisions towards the end of H1, and all of H2, and H3

pretty sure their initial reader growth was entirely based on an Apartment Therapy feature, that is how I found most of my DIY blogs back then

August 14, 2015
3:19 pm
Get the Most Outta Ya Womb While Ya Can!
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 650
Snarking Since:
November 11, 2014

FailDecor meowed
3. The IKEA wardrobes as built in bedroom storage, loved it, so many older homes have tiny closets. This is probably their best DIY

Yes, I think that was their best ever DIY!  My SIL copied it in her house and it gave them so much more room, and actually helped the room feel a little more finished.

Previously everythingistaken
August 17, 2015
12:16 am
trunkless legs of stone
Cat
Meows: 32
Snarking Since:
May 14, 2013

Ditto meowed
At some point, we all loved YHL.  We found this thread on GOMI because we because disillusioned and disappointed with how their blog evolved.

When it comes to home decor, DIY, crafts, etc., what is something you picked up from John and Sherry that you can give them credit for?

I honestly haven't learned a thing from them. My husband and I have been diy'ing for over 20 years. He was in the armed forces and we bought a new (outdated) house at every duty station. We bought low, fixed up, and sold high (most of the time). We learned everything from watching the Discovery Channel, back when Christopher Lowell and Matt and Shari and several others were on. 

I only went to their blog because a friend kept raving about them. I started reading them as a train wreck read. 

I admire that they tackle their yards, though.  We struggled with our yards. Backbreaking work. 

August 18, 2015
7:52 am
QueenOfCaulk
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1456
Snarking Since:
February 5, 2014

^^^ omg Christopher Lowell, Matt and Shari. Totally forgot about them. I spent most of my adolescent/teen TV time watching all those shows with my mom. Remember Lynette Jennings? Also the original Martha Stewart show and, of course, This Old House.
dance

August 19, 2015
1:01 am
trunkless legs of stone
Cat
Meows: 32
Snarking Since:
May 14, 2013

QueenOfCaulk meowed
^^^ omg Christopher Lowell, Matt and Shari. Totally forgot about them. I spent most of my adolescent/teen TV time watching all those shows with my mom. Remember Lynette Jennings? Also the original Martha Stewart show and, of course, This Old House.
dance

Ha! Forgot all about her! I do remember her saying, "Windows are expensive! Don't cover them up!" She had a bigger budget than I had at the time.

Matt and Shari were so cheesy, but it was decorating, so I was hooked. And Martha-she was too talented for the likes of me, lol. I failed at everything I tried to replicate.

Christopher Lowell was the top guy, I thought. He could do no wrong. I loved him. 

November 3, 2015
12:24 pm
blue satin manta ray
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 303
Snarking Since:
September 6, 2011

I discovered them during H1 and liked them enough to read though their archives. Remember when they'd redecorate readers' spaces?

I think the best thing I took away was realizing that I didn't have to keep using thrifted/hand-me-down/student stuff while I waited to buy solid mahogany tables or upholstered pieces with down-filled cushions and hand-tied springs. I could actually find something I could afford to use right away. It never occurred to me to buy furniture at World Market. I guess I equated it with papasan chairs. I bought some furniture from J. C. Penney that was an unbelievable deal and looks great.

I think the best thing for me was H1. I'd always hated ranch houses. Now I want one.

formerly The Thief of iPad

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.