:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Young House Love
June 13, 2013
11:19 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4331
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

Calls It Like I Sees It said
SCC, if you don't negotiate for your furniture, you're over paying. Furniture prices are over inflated because they know people will negotiate. Same with cars. I thought this was common knowledge? I don't see anything wrong with negotiating when the industry set things up that way themselves, But you've already said no one will change your mind, so continue over paying, you deserve it. party0006

So, you know where I buy furniture and what I pay for it? Amazing. Which piece of mine is your favorite and what pieces do you think I overpaid on?

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
11:25 pm
Bartonellosis

ShabbyChicChick said

Bartonellosis said
I can't fault them for haggling. So what if the salesperson works on commission? Car salespeople work on commission and I don't think it's offensive to haggle over the price of a car. Let's face it, if they couldn't split up the table and chairs, they wouldn't have purchased the table = zero commission.

Editing to add that I've never had good luck with color matching. It's a bummer because I like the Benjamin Moore colors, but prefer the price of Behr and Valspar.

Because its a tough economy for some people and haggling their paycheck is not cool. Would anyone like it if their boss haggled their paycheck with them every week? But its ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK, so its ok. Not everyone gets to sit home on their ass and moderate comments and send nasty emails to people for a living. Some people actually get out there and hustle to make ends meet. And lets face, you dont know if what would have happened if the table and chairs were not split up. Maybe Sherdog would have bought the whole set, Craigslisted the chairs and that poor salesperson would have gotten their rightful commission.  This is not a car, its furniture. Are there any other faux justifications you would like to make? She is just so goddamn entitled its sickening. The way she acted in the store is pathetic. This is what I think and no amount of badgering from you is going to change it. 

I'm badgering you? Interesting…

June 13, 2013
11:35 pm
Ryvyan

ShabbyChicChick said

Because its a tough economy for some people and haggling their paycheck is not cool. Would anyone like it if their boss haggled their paycheck with them every week? But its ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK, so its ok. Not everyone gets to sit home on their ass and moderate comments and send nasty emails to people for a living. Some people actually get out there and hustle to make ends meet. And lets face, you dont know if what would have happened if the table and chairs were not split up. Maybe Sherdog would have bought the whole set, Craigslisted the chairs and that poor salesperson would have gotten their rightful commission.  This is not a car, its furniture. Are there any other faux justifications you would like to make? She is just so goddamn entitled its sickening. The way she acted in the store is pathetic. This is what I think and no amount of badgering from you is going to change it. 

This is just an example of something incredibly silly that has made this thread really unpleasant to read. On the same note, it seems like everyone can haggle except for YHL because it's ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK. I really don't understand why you are GOMI-ing every single action? 

If I don't need a table but I like the chairs, I would just ASK to buy the damn chairs and for a good price. I don't believe in waste, and I think it's silly to not be prudent with your own money when it is perfectly acceptable to do haggling in specific shops. It's not like they are haggling non-stop and unfairly. The price is a compromise between two parties, and salespersons are not victims in these cases.

ShabbyChicChick said

So, you know where I buy furniture and what I pay for it? Amazing. Which piece of mine is your favorite and what pieces do you think I overpaid on?

Yes, and do you know where YHL bought all their furniture and how much they paid for them? Which ones do you think they underpaid on?

I can't even hate-read this forum anymore. shutupsigh

June 13, 2013
11:35 pm
Calls It Like I Sees It
Cat
Meows: 22
Snarking Since:
May 22, 2013

You're right, I don't know how much you paid for your furniture. But you don't know if the salesperson who sold J&S their furniture worked on commission, if their commission was reduced because they negotiated, or if they were poor and trying to make ends meet like you described. So if you're going to make a bunch of assumptions, I will too. I am all for light hearted snarking, but when you personally attack J&S, or jump all over other posters, it's tiring and not fun.

June 13, 2013
11:46 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4331
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

The Fucking Forum Police are unreal.

Get Off My Internets.

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
11:49 pm
happy little trees
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 914
Snarking Since:
April 25, 2013

I guess I shouldn't negotiate when I buy a mattress, a car, a house, or at a flea market.Seriously, tell me more about how to not negotiate in totally normal situations so I can spend more money yadayada.

SCC, seriously, YHL really seems to upset you since you post about 15 different times a day on YHL, maybe you need to take a step back, not worth the anger. Or maybe you are Sherry trying to drive up page views?? hi-103

June 13, 2013
11:50 pm
Ryvyan

You're right, I don't know how much you paid for your furniture. But you don't know if the salesperson who sold J&S their furniture worked on commission, if their commission was reduced because they negotiated, or if they were poor and trying to make ends meet like you described. So if you're going to make a bunch of assumptions, I will too. I am all for light hearted snarking, but when you personally attack J&S, or jump all over other posters, it's tiring and not fun.

clap

On the new post on flooring, the picture that showed the difference of woods between their new floor and the staircase really highlighted the fact that they should have found wood that is more substantial (thicker across width).

I'm not going to snark on the colour since they said that it is not that obvious IRL, and I really love the colour. Though again, not the width.

The math though; I vaguely remember John doing some math for some other work in the past? The deck? Probably not perfect cuts but hidden under baseboard and quarter rounds, nobody is the wiser.

June 13, 2013
11:51 pm
Monroes Personal Jesus
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 638
Snarking Since:
April 19, 2013

So we're to believe that a "poor salesperson" would rather J&S walk out that day without making a purchase, which means $0 commission than to get a commission on an $800 purchase. IIRC, that table had been there for months without selling. For all we know, J&S buying that table freed up room on the floor for a $5,000 table that sold the next day, so that "poor salesperson" got commission on $5,800 in two days time.

Haggling is a standard practice for big purchases and those who don't do it are missing out on huge savings. If you'd rather pay $1,800 for a table and chairs you don't even need instead of saving $1,000, more power to you. Would haggling be so taboo if it wasn't ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK we're talking about? Yes, the hugging the pedestal part of the story was seriously obnoxious if she meant it literally.

June 13, 2013
11:55 pm
Ryvyan

ShabbyChicChick said
The Fucking Forum Police are unreal.

Get Off My Internets.

SCC, you cannot claim that you have the right to criticise (and ask people to go to the SOMI forum) and then turn around and call others forum police.

June 13, 2013
11:56 pm
Monroes Personal Jesus
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 638
Snarking Since:
April 19, 2013

Ryvyan said

clap

On the new post on flooring, the picture that showed the difference of woods between their new floor and the staircase really highlighted the fact that they should have found wood that is more substantial (thicker across width).

I'm not going to snark on the colour since they said that it is not that obvious IRL, and I really love the colour. Though again, not the width.

The math though; I vaguely remember John doing some math for some other work in the past? The deck? Probably not perfect cuts but hidden under baseboard and quarter rounds, nobody is the wiser.

I'm surprised he didn't find a way to use the Kreg tool for cutting the quarter round instead of doing the math. I've never used a Kreg, but it seems like it should be adaptable.

June 13, 2013
11:56 pm
)))___
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 800
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

Based on their house listing that mentioned how they are "featured in magazines" who knows how often that gets to be a bargaining chip. It's a benefit to the seller for the exposure they receive because of it so it can be considered win/win. And since we're being creative here – maybe the salesperson got a bonus for selling to a client that would get them listed on a blog for advertisement and they all lived happily ever after…

June 14, 2013
12:02 am
Ryvyan

Faux-Roman Shade (formerly Next2Nothing) said

I'm surprised he didn't find a way to use the Kreg tool for cutting the quarter round instead of doing the math. I've never used a Kreg, but it seems like it should be adaptable.

I have heard so many good things about the Kreg on various DIY sites that I have decided to get one when I eventually buy an apartment (in the next decade?). Is it only for 45 degree angles though? I think their angles are really awkward.

For the quarter rounds, would there be a little bit more allowance since they can just culk the corners to smooth things out? The math isn't much, probably just a short brain exercise.

June 14, 2013
12:25 am
showmeyourteeth

I joined the Forum PD 18 years ago this Sunday. Gosh, I still remember my days in the academy and my first day walking the beat. There were so many typos back then. 

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy. For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.