:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Young House Love
June 25, 2013
10:22 am
RainbowDuck
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 669
Snarking Since:
April 30, 2013

Ditto said
I figured we'd get some kind of landscaping post this week… but moving a tree?  That's it?

Yeah, really.  The content is terrible.  They need to BUY something NEW for that house and blog about it–something decor related.  Or a design plan.  SOMETHING that is somehow, even remotely, interesting.

*Although I always skip their landscaping posts… I am just not interested in that.  

June 25, 2013
10:23 am
)))___
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 800
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

See guys – they didn't do anything in the 8 month period they had their home. Just got a new roof, a new water heater, a new security system, transplanted plants, held magazine shoots – nothing home-related or anything. OF COURSE they are coming across as sincere and authentic and not at all contrived.

June 25, 2013
10:35 am
RainbowDuck
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 669
Snarking Since:
April 30, 2013

RedundantUsernameUsername said
See guys – they didn't do anything in the 8 month period they had their home. Just got a new roof, a new water heater, a new security system, transplanted plants, held magazine shoots – nothing home-related or anything. OF COURSE they are coming across as sincere and authentic and not at all contrived.

What's this magazine shoot?  Was it at the new house? 

June 25, 2013
10:47 am
)))___
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

RainbowDuck said

The recent spread in HGTV magazine – unless that content was shot more than a year in advance? I assumed it was 6-8 months prior to the publish date but based that speculation on absolutely nothing whatsoever other than wanting to snark dance

June 25, 2013
10:50 am
InaneCommenter
Hamcat
Meows: 164
Snarking Since:
March 18, 2013

RainbowDuck said

I guess your post isn't coming across as clear as to which part you're being sarcastic about.  A new roof, a new water heater and a new security system aren't DIY projects that take up a homeowner's time & effort installing.  Yes, you do need to be there to oversee at times, let people in, etc.  But their possessions weren't there, so it's not like there was anything to protect from theft by the workers.

Transplanted plants?  There was one tree that was dug up before the home was shown and was finally planted after move-in (she mentioned they were worried about it surviving the planting because it's summer now).  Maybe that's what you mean… sorry – I can't tell.

They are moving slower now. They can't jump from one major project to the next and their interim posts aren't as interesting as they could be.  The blog isn't what it used to be or can be.  There will be five posts about wallpaper removal.  There will be boring filler posts.  Accept it and tune in once a week or something.  Everyone would like them to blog a certain way.  I don't think they're making the best decisions for their business, but they're their decisions.  Eventually they'll do some reno again, but until then, this is it.  No amount of complaining over here is going to change what goes on over there.

June 25, 2013
10:55 am
SCC
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4482
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

Judgey-Judgerson said
If I'm gng to strip wallpaper, I'm starting with the room that is most used/seen. The tiny power room would be the least of my worries! Honestly, I didn't think that paper was as bad as the other main rooms. They could've played up the kitsch and done a small decorating Reno on how they're decorating it without removing the paper until they get to it… A large white framed mirror, white accessories (they have plenty), white framed art…

~sincerely,
New homeowner living with pinecone border and blue plaid wallpaper in the family room FOR NOW bc I ain't got time for that.

I actually thought about that too. It was the least offensive wallpaper in the smallest space. I think I might have painted the vanity white, changed out the hardware and faucet, painted the mirror white or used the white mirror they bought for the spare room and tried to work with it for now.

If you wait a while, that plaid and pincone wallpapaper might become all the rage again dance

**Leading By Example**
June 25, 2013
10:58 am
InaneCommenter
Hamcat
Meows: 164
Snarking Since:
March 18, 2013

Eh, I disagree.  I'm not going to spend money on a faucet and other hardware if I know I'm going to replace it all fairly soon.  I'd be ok with it if I KNEW the new stuff could be reused, but I'm not much on slapping lipstick on a pig.  Either do it right when you do it or save it all for your next project.

June 25, 2013
10:59 am
)))___
Senior Hamcat
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

Yeah I'm just grumpy today -so fat so stupid – can't even be successfully sarcastic. For some reason I got the impression they did this some time ago and not this week/end. Which I just find annoying.

June 25, 2013
11:00 am
Bartonellosis

BassGuitar said

I never read their comments, but just went and looked at them. Holy moly, people just throw crap in there without reading the post or lecture them like they are totally new at DIYing.

There was a whole tangent about not microwaving water. She never said she was going to…yet the dangers are discussed repeatedly.

I read the comments sometimes and always regret it. Lots of redundancy, lots of gushing, lots of idiocy, lots of redundancy. You will often see the same suggestion over and over and over. Yes, there is a slight delay as comments are improved, but mostly it's people not bothering to read what's already there. I have to give Sherry a little credit for responding to the same suggestion ten times. I would lose it if I had to deal with their commenters on a daily basis, but I guess more comments = more money.

Speaking of boiling water, I love my electric kettle. It's kind of an old lady thing, but it's faster than the stove and microwave. I drink a lot of tea, what can I say?

Also, a thousand word post on the Japanese Maple? Why do I think they're saving their good design projects for something else?

June 25, 2013
11:04 am
Judgey-Judgerson
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 832
Snarking Since:
October 9, 2012

My Hammy Vice (formerly Bartonellosis) said

Speaking of wallpaper, I do love a lot of the cheerful mod designs that are out there now. Lately I've noticed the same wallpaper being used by two different bloggers. The world of design blogs is pretty incestuous, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more of this particular pattern from Hygge & West. It could be the chevron / cowhide / pallet furniture / subway art of 2013.

This one is from Holly of In the Fun Lane:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/hollyberry23/album4/_MG_5873_zpsf9b6e4aa.jpg

This is from The Lettered Cottage:
http://theletteredcottage.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lettered_Cottage_Half_Bath_Bird_Wallpaper_Dresser_Vanity.jpg

The first one reminds me of the paper Bully used in the nursery at the house before The Manor… Which then reminds me how much she used to decorate/DIY and did nothing in her last home… Different blogger/different thread.

June 25, 2013
11:26 am
The Art of Being Tacky
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 736
Snarking Since:
February 10, 2012

SherCat said
The links to inspiration posts instead of just showing the picture – probably so they can go to the site owners and say "see, look how much traffic we drove to your site, don't you want to advertise?" It is annoying to not just be able to see what they're considering.

Actually, that makes total sense to me. They don't own the rights to the inspiration pictures, so they can't share them (especially because they make money from the blog, so it'd be commercial use). They'd have to get permission from the original picture owners, and I'm sure that'd be super time consuming and a huge pain (especially when it's from a random pin that doesn't lead to the original source). Also, it's out of consideration for the blogs/sources from which the pictures came, particularly if YHL is more popular than the source blog – people would probably be pinning the inspiration pics from YHL and not from the source. Linking it instead forces people to pin pics from the original blog. 

June 25, 2013
11:31 am
Placebo Gazebo
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 293
Snarking Since:
February 21, 2013

See guys – they didn't do anything in the 8 month period they had their home. Just got a new roof, a new water heater, a new security system

So in summary they made some calls, visited their home a handful of times, and wrote some checks. I don't think that's what people are referring to.

June 25, 2013
11:33 am
SCC
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4482
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

A pox on their tree. What a stupid post.

I get not wanting to do an interim fix in the bathroom, but its something I'm sure I would have done. You can get a decent faucet for 30ish or under, a few knobs for the vanity and some of their stash of white stuff. Donate the faucet later if you dont want it, but you can call that room done (for now) ,move onto something more important, and get about a year out of your temporary fix.

**Leading By Example**
↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMI. GOMI makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.