:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Young House Love
September 4, 2013
4:58 pm
avex
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 579
Snarking Since:
February 8, 2013

blogaddictto said

retail detritus said

theretheyretheir said
This reminds me of a post from http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/. Except Jen would have painted the inside, covered the shelves in interesting paper, made pretty labels and included a free printable organization list. In short, she would have done a better job. 

My kid is only 18 months old, but it seems like a lot to expect Clara to only check one toy our at a time and understand the whole library concept. Are the Petersiks playing toy gestapo, or am I too permissive?

18 months is too early, but three isn't. This is totally a Montessori concept of rotating toys and limiting the number of them. My kid is 2.5 an couldn't really have understood this until the last month or so, and we only do in large categories of toys. So pick up the trains and we'll use crayons/markers or put way the cars and we'll cook. He's just beginning to do any degree of independent play that lasts for more than a few minutes, but limiting the choices of toys is extending that.

I actually think they've done a good job with this, just because kids don't quite get the concept yet doesn't mean we don't continue to use it. I do wish they'd credited some research on this, they didn't invent the concept, a billion bloggers have done this, and Montessori theory can be controversial. Could have been a really interesting life style post.

This.  I think this is it.  J&S are smart in a way – they always play it so middle of the road so as not to offend – or not even that they are worried about offending but I think it's more likely that they instead want to appeal to the most number of readers – all for the pageview$.  Heaven forbid they just say "hey we love the philosophy of Montessori and are using it with Clara because of XYZ". That might turn someone off and they'd lose a pageview/$$$.

Someone said it up thread – own your shit.  Like we do X because of Y and just own it.

I get it – their whole livelihood is wrapped up in the blog and they don't want to be a lightening rod but it's just all so boring now.  I'd rather they have any kind of personality than no personality at all (and Sherdog's faux hip/urban speak does not count).

Just because it's a Montessori thing doesn't mean that's why they're doing it. The concept of a toy cupboard is hardly revolutionary, it's possible they came across the idea and ran with it without subscribing to a particular parenting philosophy.

September 4, 2013
5:00 pm
I like to watch Dr Phil drunk
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1835
Snarking Since:
October 25, 2012

I understand there's another closet in the foyer, but I'm just so mad about this. It's not their fault I'm mad about this, but I need to bitch about it anyway. My house has ZERO closets on the first floor, and no where to put them even if they could be installed. I would literally die for a space half the size of that closet to put coats. Why not leave that for coats, and use the other one to house random toys and vacuums, etc.

Also, do they want guests to come through the door and trip all over Clara's toys on the foyer floor? The girl has her own bedroom, and has lots of toys in the office, will probably have a "play room" again (?) or could have used that "useless" sunroom as a play area.

What is with kids shit taking up the whole house? 

September 4, 2013
5:20 pm
nora charles
Cat
Meows: 20
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2013

I agree it was a missed opportunity. Like previous poster said, Iheartorganizing would have done it better. Made a printable. Made the inside cute and functional and then I would have felt more inspired to use her printable and make my toy closet "cute/pretty".

September 4, 2013
5:39 pm
Milky Tea
Hamcat
Meows: 77
Snarking Since:
July 29, 2013

nora charles said
I agree it was a missed opportunity. Like previous poster said, Iheartorganizing would have done it better. Made a printable. Made the inside cute and functional and then I would have felt more inspired to use her printable and make my toy closet "cute/pretty".

I love Jen at iheartorganizing. She makes me want to buy pretty paper and a labeler and color coordinate everything I own. If she did a toy closet, I would probably want one of my own! This closet was nothing inspirational.

September 4, 2013
6:08 pm
bitter
Senior Hamcat
Meows: 691
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2012

Eh I will be the lone voice of dissent and say I think people that invest time in pretty labels need a hobby and likely have underlying mental health issues. I like label makers as much as the next person but I think downloading special fonts and color coding fancy labels is just cray. I can't imagine doing that for anything that goes in a closet. Maybe jars that sit on my counter or elsewhere in plain view but that's where I draw the line.

Pinterest would have you believe people couldn't function before pretty labels. I especially love when I see clear containers with easily recognizeable contents that are labeled (such as tea bags, cotton balls, q tips, buttons, Etc. I can only imagine someone trying to identify the contents of my linen closet would curiously look at my jar of q tips pondering them and asking "what are these" "what do I do with them" "if only they had a label I would be able to identify their use!"

September 4, 2013
6:22 pm
WheresMyCoffee
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 6868
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

bitter said
Eh I will be the lone voice of dissent and say I think people that invest time in pretty labels need a hobby and likely have underlying mental health issues. I like label makers as much as the next person but I think downloading special fonts and color coding fancy labels is just cray. I can't imagine doing that for anything that goes in a closet. Maybe jars that sit on my counter or elsewhere in plain view but that's where I draw the line.

Pinterest would have you believe people couldn't function before pretty labels. I especially love when I see clear containers with easily recognizeable contents that are labeled (such as tea bags, cotton balls, q tips, buttons, Etc. I can only imagine someone trying to identify the contents of my linen closet would curiously look at my jar of q tips pondering them and asking "what are these" "what do I do with them" "if only they had a label I would be able to identify their use!"

I agree., Its in a closet and she has nice handwriting, who cares?

I looove my label maker and love to label things, but I would never download fancy fonts or PAY for fancy fonts. Im also not one to label something when it is clearly evident what it is. I'll probably label my sons toys soon, when he can read or maybe add a picture. Just so clean up time is easier.

I also don't think "checking out toys" needs a house husband or a stay at home parent for that matter, its pretty simple of a concept and is basically just a further step of cleaning up after yourself. It teaches responsibility and you actually enjoy one toy instead of just tossing it in a pile of the 80 other toys you've played with that day.

ETA: This isn't directed at one persons response, I just don't understand why every little thing they do has to be snarked to death. Todays post wasn't spectacular but it was certainly a step in the right direction for them. Better than tampon tea bags, anyway. Of course everyone will do things differently and everyone parents different/organizes differently, and I don't think the Petersiks were claiming to have invented the idea. OMG AM I WK'ing?

September 4, 2013
6:52 pm
Tampon Tea Bags
Cat
Meows: 16
Snarking Since:
February 19, 2013

WheresMyCoffee said

bitter said

I looove my label maker and love to label things, but I would never download fancy fonts or PAY for fancy fonts. Im also not one to label something when it is clearly evident what it is. I'll probably label my sons toys soon, when he can read or maybe add a picture. Just so clean up time is easier.

I also don't think "checking out toys" needs a house husband or a stay at home parent for that matter, its pretty simple of a concept and is basically just a further step of cleaning up after yourself. It teaches responsibility and you actually enjoy one toy instead of just tossing it in a pile of the 80 other toys you've played with that day.

ETA: This isn't directed at one persons response, I just don't understand why every little thing they do has to be snarked to death. Todays post wasn't spectacular but it was certainly a step in the right direction for them. Better than tampon tea bags, anyway. Of course everyone will do things differently and everyone parents different/organizes differently, and I don't think the Petersiks were claiming to have invented the idea. OMG AM I WK'ing?

That's not very nice cry

September 4, 2013
7:08 pm
WheresMyCoffee
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

Tampon Tea Bags said

WheresMyCoffee said

bitter said

That's not very nice cry

chair

September 4, 2013
7:32 pm
The Heartbreak of Myopia
Hamcat
Meows: 95
Snarking Since:
May 1, 2013

WheresMyCoffee said

Tampon Tea Bags said

WheresMyCoffee said

bitter said

That's not very nice cry

chair

This reminds me, has Sue the Napkin been around lately?  I always liked how personally offended she was about not being incorporated enough in the new house.

September 4, 2013
7:55 pm
velvetfrogg

I heart organizing has a reader space on there today that is about turning a closet into a space to store tools. And I went to the closet owner's blog to see if it mentions where the closet is. And it's a closet in the foyer. http://lookiewhatidid.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-well-organized-utility-closet.html

So everyone is turning their foyer coat closets into storage spaces for other stuff. We have a coat closet in the front of our house too. But we don't wear coats (FL and all) and when we do, we just put them in the bedroom closet. So our coat closet is where we keep board games and various other random stuff. And it doesn't look nice and organized like those two closets do.

September 4, 2013
8:16 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4349
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

I think this is just more of John and Sherry's control freakishness, like keeping Clara in a crib and death sand and whatever. If I told my kids we had a 'toy library' and they could check out one at a time, they would laugh at me. Even at age 3.

**Leading By Example**
September 4, 2013
8:24 pm
WheresMyCoffee
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

ShabbyChicChick said
I think this is just more of John and Sherry's control freakishness, like keeping Clara in a crib and death sand and whatever. If I told my kids we had a 'toy library' and they could check out one at a time, they would laugh at me. Even at age 3.

Your kids probably aren't perfect like Clara is. Clara probably personally requested the toy closet so she could have a place for everything. Lord knows after waking up from sleeping 14 hours straight  you don't want to wake up to a mess. I mean, if you can potty train in 2 days after using cloth diapers that never leaked, you can't like messes.

September 4, 2013
8:33 pm
Tampon Tea Bags
Cat
Meows: 16
Snarking Since:
February 19, 2013

Jellybean said

WheresMyCoffee said

Tampon Tea Bags said

WheresMyCoffee said

bitter said

That's not very nice cry

chair

This reminds me, has Sue the Napkin been around lately?  I always liked how personally offended she was about not being incorporated enough in the new house.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Do you think the bedroom wall colour is supposed to be that navy? That would make at least 3 Sue colours in the new house.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMI's Comment Policy. For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMI. GOMI makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.