:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Colette Patterns
January 10, 2017
10:27 am
Pixiekatz
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 256
Snarking Since:
October 1, 2015

I used autoCAD software for over 20 years. It does nothing you don't tell it to, so if you don't understand pattern drafting on paper, you're not going to be able to do it using the software. It's not a magic wand, just a drawing tool. I don't think they have a clue what they're doing.

January 10, 2017
11:11 am
hemmings
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 289
Snarking Since:
January 14, 2016

I feel like the root of their post is that they're trying to create a retroactive justification for not having used CAD for previous patterns, in a way that is more flattering and ego-saving than "derp we didn't know how." They can't really come up with one, though, hence all the "designer babble."

January 10, 2017
11:54 am
Zoxe
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2272
Snarking Since:
July 15, 2014

dystopian sewing novel meowed
I feel like the root of their post is that they're trying to create a retroactive justification for not having used CAD for previous patterns, in a way that is more flattering and ego-saving than "derp we didn't know how." They can't really come up with one, though, hence all the "designer babble."

I'm not sure they've admitted that.  They clearly are now making sure everyone knows they use CAD, but I would assume they've done it for a while.  Whether they know how to, now or in the past, is another question.

Pixiekatz meowed
I used autoCAD software for over 20 years. It does nothing you don't tell it to, so if you don't understand pattern drafting on paper, you're not going to be able to do it using the software. It's not a magic wand, just a drawing tool. I don't think they have a clue what they're doing.

Exactly.  It's the way they're talking up the distinction that makes me think they no next to nothing about any sort of drafting.

January 10, 2017
12:14 pm
frilly willie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2031
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2014

Talk about a coverup, cottonwool and flannel!

A sewing pattern is, I consider, a tool for sewing. 

In what possible way could the use of a faulty tool help me 'grow' my skill level in sewing, or my enjoyment of fabric and fibres? 

My brother is an extremely skilled and knowledgeable craftsman with wood; he gets called in to give advice on repair, restoration and renewal of historic woodwork in important buildings all over Europe. Some years ago he built the most beautiful and unusual house for himself, almost entirely out of wood, using a range of techniques from different places and eras, and a lot of hand-work with historic implements. 

He employed an architect for the actual plan of the house.

He is no more an architect than I am a patternmaker – which is why, other than for the simplest of linear constructions, both of us use the products of professionals in their fields to aid and enhance our work in our fields. 

January 10, 2017
2:22 pm
Must Make A Moodboard
Hamcat
Meows: 75
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2016

I have had a lot of entertainment from this thread so thank you very much everyone! I loved the swimming illustration in particular, how apt, and that babble speak. I laughed at both rofl I only ever had one pattern from Colette, the Zinnia skirts. I didn't make it – I just couldn't wade through that massive book of instructions for a skirt, and the cover was uninspiring so I've finally got round to listing it on eBay. I was really surprised when I looked that their patterns are going cheap for a niche indie. (I always look at what stuff has sold for, not what people are asking, to gauge my pricing as I only sell when I have 100% decided to get rid of something). Wonder if it will sell!!

January 10, 2017
2:49 pm
jzygail
Hamcat
Meows: 51
Snarking Since:
July 15, 2015

frilly willie meowed
In what possible way could the use of a faulty tool help me 'grow' my skill level in sewing, or my enjoyment of fabric and fibres?  

These are the same folks who intone, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." and think they've made some kind of point.

The reality is, in order to know WHEN the broken clock is correct, you have to have a clock that works to compare it to.  And if you have a clock that works, you don't need the broken one.

January 11, 2017
2:15 pm
I've heard it both ways
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 299
Snarking Since:
January 21, 2016

Sooooo….. #monetaparty anyone?! rofl

Colette really are desperate for fanguuuuurl attention aren't they?!

January 11, 2017
3:42 pm
hamsam
Hamcat
Meows: 64
Snarking Since:
December 12, 2016

Found this gem in the "process" comments from Sarai:

"This post is actually part of a whole series on process changes we’ve made, which has included extensive training over the last few months. This is an ongoing process, but it’s revolutionized the way we do things and the ability to build skills. One thing we’ve learned more than anything is the value of experienced outside perspectives… the next step for us is finding the right person to join us and permanently assume that mentor/training role as we prepare for the long term. That’s super exciting to me."

I mean, I'm happy she's kinda sorta admitting she's clueless. But…you think maybe you should have gotten training and a mentor before you proclaim yourself an expert and start a company? Naaaaah.lmao

January 11, 2017
10:34 pm
Titza Kimbo
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 777
Snarking Since:
June 23, 2014

I couldn't even with that whole post. I got one paragraph in and nearly vomited. What a load of bullshit wrapped up in a crepe and topped with whipped cream, but less tasty and meaningful. I think Collette has jumped the shark and Sarai is starting to realize it.

January 12, 2017
12:59 am
Necessary Evil
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 605
Snarking Since:
November 14, 2014

FFS, Colette/Sarai needs to put down the shovel. What started out as what could have been an 'oops our pattern is defective, we are so sorry and are fixing it. Here is the new pattern as well as any pattern set of your choice free'. Sarai has turned it into a 'we have no idea what we are doing in regard to drafting, measuring, blocks, teaching, sewing, hiring, or anything really but are now taking the time to learn. Please read about our process of learning so that you too will know what a deceitful company we are and have been for the last so many years. We are going to be the best company ever after we learn what the hell we are doing'. Whenever I see the name Colette/Sarai, I am reminded off the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz  "never mind the man behind the curtain", both are frauds. 

January 12, 2017
10:29 pm
Titza Kimbo
Count de Meowmy
Snarking Since:
June 23, 2014

I called them out point blank on it. Sarai deleted my comment – probably because I called the post lipstick on a pig. Then she sent me an email saying 

You said in your comment that "The mindset and priorities should be drafting good patterns that work and fit properly, and so far I am not seeing anything of that ilk." I'd be very interested in talking to you about this, and hearing more about why we're not communicating that priority well.

Sarai, isn't communicating that priority well because she isn't fixing the problem of poor drafting. Don't even get me going on the fact that they sell themselves as patterns that "teach" when they can't even draft their way out of a paper bag. I think there's a reason the current patterns are a basic tee shirt and a slide on pencil skirt. They have to walk before they run, even tho they have sold the public on their status as marathon champions for the last 8 years.

I'm not going to engage with Colette to explain how to fix it. And BTW, that they call the website help.colettemedia.com tells me all I need to know. Sarai wants to be the next Martha Stewart, sewing is just the entry level to draw in the fangirls.

January 13, 2017
2:50 am
idrawthings
Hamcat
Meows: 164
Snarking Since:
December 5, 2016

Pixiekatz meowed

Couldn't agree more! (am a technical illustrator)

January 13, 2017
9:55 pm
Titza Kimbo
Count de Meowmy
Snarking Since:
June 23, 2014

Musta hit a nerve

DRP drpmakes.wordpress.comJanuary 13, 2017

Seriously!?

I think instead of wasting time with articles like this that are designed to awe with jargon and tech talk that will, no doubt impress your fan girls, why not spend that time working on how to draft a pattern properly, how to create and develop blocks with a pencil and paper. All this talk of CAD is well and good but CAD won’t fix things, it will only do what you tell it to.
Touting your products as “patterns that teach” is a bit rich, as far as I can tell your staff are unable to spot basic errors. Many of the Rue issues should have been spotted at thd drafting stage if not at thd testing stage. I don’t understand how you could released such a massively flawed pattern and then expect an article like this (which basically says nothing at all) to help fix the damage that pattern has done to your brand. It reeks of burying your head in the sand. You’ll have to do better if you want to stand a chance of winning back any of the customers you have lost

VIRGINIA SHIELDSJanuary 13, 2017

Hear hear DRP! We (the readers) could really use some solid, technical, this-is-how-we-are-improving posts. With specifics. Not just musings on what a process is. It’s like a politician’s speech – lots of words no concrete information. How is the new block development coming along? Do you have a new one yet? By the way, I’m a lost customer who would love a reason to come back 🙁

SARAI colettehq.com @saraicatJanuary 13, 2017

Hi Virginia. The only thing this post is intended to do is create a brief discussion on CAD as a tool (and only a tool). It’s something we get questions about occasionally, and I thought some people might be interested.

I’ve tried to be transparent about our process changes (blocks, fit session, specs, etc) in other posts, but it’s hard to know how many updates people really care about reading. It’s helpful to get specific questions like yours. To answer them, our block development is complete, and we’re currently working on the next pattern (developed from it) and implementing our new tech pack.

STITCHJanuary 13, 2017

Totally agree with you. This post is tl;dr and it says nothing wrapped in Silicon Valley tech speak. I left a comment yesterday saying pretty much the same thing as you and it was deleted. I’m a former customer who is definitely not looking for a reason to come back, after making 4 Colette patterns that I paid full price for, and they all had major problems. I blamed myself, but now I know it wasn’t my fault.

SARAI colettehq.com @saraicatJanuary 13, 2017

Your comment was removed because it was extremely rude. Instead, I emailed you and invited you to have a conversation. You declined. I think we are done here.

Want fast, ad-free forums? Click here!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.