:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Young House Love
November 11, 2017
2:20 pm
Nausicaa
Hamcat
Meows: 52
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2015

tbh I feel like they're making a lot of decisions from the position that this is just a rental/vacation house, not their main residence. They probably figure that any of their weird/inefficient choices are easily put up with when you're not staying there longer than a week, and maybe they're right.

It's kind of strange to me that they're sinking as much as they are into surface aesthetics, considering how hard renters can be on vacation properties. I hope they plan on fully vetting anyone they rent to, lol. Even then, there are no guarantees. I used to help my mother with a rental property of hers, mostly with cleaning up between renters, and stuff was always inexplicably getting damaged. That's what contracts and damage deposits are for, sure, but if you're furnishing your vacation rental with unique irreplaceable antiques and stuff like that, you may never be able to truly recoup the loss. My mom had one renter leave a HUGE dent in the fridge, which would have sucked exponentially more if it hadn't been a basic model.

The cheap Ikea cabinets make total sense, the antique stove and the speculated Smeg refrigerator do not.

November 11, 2017
4:18 pm
EmLaur
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1138
Snarking Since:
May 1, 2013

Nausicaa meowed

tbh I feel like they're making a lot of decisions from the position that this is just a rental/vacation house, not their main residence. They probably figure that any of their weird/inefficient choices are easily put up with when you're not staying there longer than a week, and maybe they're right.

It's kind of strange to me that they're sinking as much as they are into surface aesthetics, considering how hard renters can be on vacation properties. I hope they plan on fully vetting anyone they rent to, lol. Even then, there are no guarantees. I used to help my mother with a rental property of hers, mostly with cleaning up between renters, and stuff was always inexplicably getting damaged. That's what contracts and damage deposits are for, sure, but if you're furnishing your vacation rental with unique irreplaceable antiques and stuff like that, you may never be able to truly recoup the loss. My mom had one renter leave a HUGE dent in the fridge, which would have sucked exponentially more if it hadn't been a basic model.

The cheap Ikea cabinets make total sense, the antique stove and the speculated Smeg refrigerator do not.

I think they’re planning to use this house quite a bit for themselves/friends/family and only rent it out occasionally, while the duplex will be their work-horse rental units. Not sure if they said this or if it’s just my take.

November 11, 2017
4:41 pm
#spon
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 557
Snarking Since:
November 18, 2014

EmLaur meowed

Nausicaa meowed

I think they’re planning to use this house quite a bit for themselves/friends/family and only rent it out occasionally, while the duplex will be their work-horse rental units. Not sure if they said this or if it’s just my take.

I agree with you both. I found it kind of odd how much thought they were putting into knick knacks and decorating for a rental. I'd have durable and bare minimum "stuff". When I'm looking on AirBnb for a place to rent, I'm not interested at all at how it's decorated…I'm worried about space (enough beds), location, price, and maybe how child proof it is. 

That leads me to believe that they'll be using this house for themselves… maybe family, and only renting out the duplex. 

November 13, 2017
1:39 pm
hissyfit
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 308
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2014

We have a small rental home (tropical locale) and while we did not renovate (bought an already flipped place), I did decorate.  I had so much fun doing it.  I knew things may get broke or stolen and that's a chance I was willing to take to create an experience for our renters.  We even created a library with tons of our old books.  We don't have the largest place or the most amenities, but we've created a bright & fun place for people to stay while on vacation.  So much so that we rarely get to utilize it because it is rented out so much.  I get their thinking and it's quite addictive. 

Now the amount of money spent on high-end decor and fixtures that Looklingerlove put into Coral House/Bahamas is ridiculous.  Not only for the wear and tear factor, but a storm could roll through there and wipe it all out.

November 13, 2017
4:29 pm
coocoocachoo
Hamcat
Meows: 62
Snarking Since:
January 22, 2014

I also agree with decorating a rental nicely ! We have two small apartments that we list on airbnb and I had so much fun decorating them. It didn’t cost a lot of money but the small touches definitely help you get guests when you are competing against so many. It’s the differentiating factor that stops someone from scrolling past it and instead clicking “book”

November 14, 2017
9:34 am
willblogformoney
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1434
Snarking Since:
March 10, 2015

I don't i think it depends on the market and who your rental clientelle are. 

When we look for a place to stay in the mountains, yeah. I like a certain aesthetic because much of our time will be at that cabin (hovering by a fire drinking cocoa and playing games). But a rando condo on the beach that i will rarely be at? Nope. 

I, too, feel they will use this house more for themselves, friends and family and the duplex will be the property they rent out. IT will be convenient to stay at the pink house and walk over to clean the rental as needed. Not a dumb idea at all. 

I wish they would be more honest about stuff like that though and I hope they learned their lesson with the pink house and don't make the same stupid mistakes with the duplex. 

I do wonder how they will furnish that one. New stuff or thrift finds for couches/chairs etc. Will at least more interesting than half the other bloggers out there right now. 

November 14, 2017
12:09 pm
evil dark squirrel
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1768
Snarking Since:
August 15, 2012

willblogformoney meowed
I don't i think it depends on the market and who your rental clientelle are. 

When we look for a place to stay in the mountains, yeah. I like a certain aesthetic because much of our time will be at that cabin (hovering by a fire drinking cocoa and playing games). But a rando condo on the beach that i will rarely be at? Nope. 

I, too, feel they will use this house more for themselves, friends and family and the duplex will be the property they rent out. IT will be convenient to stay at the pink house and walk over to clean the rental as needed. Not a dumb idea at all. 

I wish they would be more honest about stuff like that though and I hope they learned their lesson with the pink house and don't make the same stupid mistakes with the duplex. 

I do wonder how they will furnish that one. New stuff or thrift finds for couches/chairs etc. Will at least more interesting than half the other bloggers out there right now. 

I wonder this too! I am surprised they don't partner with some big companies to get free stuff constantly like KB

November 14, 2017
9:47 pm
coocoocachoo
Hamcat
Meows: 62
Snarking Since:
January 22, 2014

What the heck are those arm chairs Sherry has just added to their living room ? They look like fill in items and NOT comfortable at all – who on earth wants to sit in those ?

November 14, 2017
10:59 pm
RainbowDuck
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 715
Snarking Since:
April 30, 2013

Seeing her living room updates and those to her daughter's room just reminds me afresh–for the thousandth time–that they have no design skills.  She talks about balance and repeating and relating elements, but really there is no innate sense of scale, comfort, or harmony (all the colors–I'm looking at you!).  

November 14, 2017
11:14 pm
evil dark squirrel
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1768
Snarking Since:
August 15, 2012

coocoocachoo meowed
What the heck are those arm chairs Sherry has just added to their living room ? They look like fill in items and NOT comfortable at all – who on earth wants to sit in those ?

They look like outdoor patio chairs that she brought inside no-nono-no

November 15, 2017
6:42 am
willblogformoney
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1434
Snarking Since:
March 10, 2015

Wow, I rarely watch them on Instagram and thought they couldn't be that bad. Wow, way too small and low looking, so uncomfortable looking. Way wrong choice. I don't mind the wood color but those chairs are a huge miss.
I also gate 2 cushion couches but theirs looks nice.
$100 says those chairs move to the rental. Perfect for holding a suitcase since they have no arms.

November 15, 2017
1:02 pm
Who ate all the butter?
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 288
Snarking Since:
March 21, 2013

Yes, Sherry, living room armchairs can cost $500!  Guess what else they can be?  Functional!  Comfortable!  Well-designed!  Long-lasting!  

It's always about the price-tag with these people.  Gah.

November 15, 2017
1:07 pm
kitten heels
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 889
Snarking Since:
March 5, 2013

willblogformoney meowed
Wow, I rarely watch them on Instagram and thought they couldn't be that bad. Wow, way too small and low looking, so uncomfortable looking. Way wrong choice. I don't mind the wood color but those chairs are a huge miss.
I also gate 2 cushion couches but theirs looks nice.
$100 says those chairs move to the rental. Perfect for holding a suitcase since they have no arms.

ya they seem so awkward. who wants to sit in a chair with no arms to watch TV? I bet they go to the beach house, where the old green chairs are in the living room

Want fast, ad-free forums? Click here!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.