:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Jessica Quirk / Stars and Field / What I Wore
January 15, 2014
11:27 pm
heretoby
Kitten
Meows: -1
Snarking Since:
July 21, 2013

boxovinopcoltrane said
I was driving towards downtown Bloomtucky this afternoon and noticed (for the millionth time) the sign for Cardinal Stage Company just looked SO FAMILIAR.  (It's been around since 2006.)

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Sorry so large.  

Huh.  others-221

I don't know. A cardinal is a red bird, so it's not a surprise there's a slight similarity there. They're different fonts. I don't really see a problem.

January 15, 2014
11:43 pm
Potato With Legs
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1944
Snarking Since:
March 11, 2013

Oh, it's just funny to me, because one of the giant Cardinal Stage Co. signs is very very close to the future site of Cardinal Spirits.  And to the neighborhood les Quirks call home.  

Living here and having had numerous sightings and run-ins with them is possibly making me a bit paranoid.  

January 16, 2014
5:18 am
Tuxedo Kitchen

Long time lurker, first time poster (in this thread).

I will preface this with I'm from Australia and thus I know little about health insurance in the US but am I correct in assuming that health insurance is closely connected to employment? 

I'm going to put a theory out there that I've been thinking about… Jessica says that she's losing interest in what she's wearing, that the blog is headed in a different direction. Could it be possible that she's getting to the age where she wants to have kids? She's done the wedding, bought the house (or has she?) had that shot at redecorating the house (dining room). A pregnancy would most certainly push the blog in a different direction. Would this new job be a way for her to gain the level of health insurance necessary to have kids? 

I first wondered this in relation to John and Sherry of Young House Love. John has recently taken up some kind of teaching gig at a university too, Sherry is pregnant.

Like I said I really don't know how health insurance works in the US so pardon my ignorance if I've got it all backwards. 

January 16, 2014
6:08 am
future farmer
Feles Imperatrix
Meows: 16405
Snarking Since:
March 4, 2013

Tuxedo Kitchen said

I will preface this with I'm from Australia and thus I know little about health insurance in the US but am I correct in assuming that health insurance is closely connected to employment? 

I'm going to put a theory out there that I've been thinking about… Jessica says that she's losing interest in what she's wearing, that the blog is headed in a different direction. Could it be possible that she's getting to the age where she wants to have kids? She's done the wedding, bought the house (or has she?) had that shot at redecorating the house (dining room). A pregnancy would most certainly push the blog in a different direction. Would this new job be a way for her to gain the level of health insurance necessary to have kids? 

I first wondered this in relation to John and Sherry of Young House Love. John has recently taken up some kind of teaching gig at a university too, Sherry is pregnant.

Like I said I really don't know how health insurance works in the US so pardon my ignorance if I've got it all backwards. 

Hi!  My understanding is that an adjunct at a college teaching only one class would not be working enough hours to qualify for health insurance.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  

January 16, 2014
8:37 am
heretoby
Kitten
Meows: -1
Snarking Since:
July 21, 2013

#notpaleo said

Tuxedo Kitchen said

Hi!  My understanding is that an adjunct at a college teaching only one class would not be working enough hours to qualify for health insurance.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  

It depends what kind of union they have there, but it's extremely rare for part time/lecturers to have decent or any benefits. I'd wondered if they hired her for that reason, i.e. she was willing to just teach one class a week for a semester for whatever little pocket change it paid, instead of their trying to find someone to relocate to take a job that wasn't even going to pay half their rent. But I don't know.

January 16, 2014
9:14 am
Snarky Librarian
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1751
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2011

I don't work at IU, but the university I work at only gives health benefits to faculty who are full-time, not adjuncts. 

January 16, 2014
9:31 am
tannen18
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 245
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2012

That Passive Aggressive Pumpkin (Snarky Librarian) said
I don't work at IU, but the university I work at only gives health benefits to faculty who are full-time, not adjuncts. 

Same here with my current university. I previously worked at IU as staff, and found the same with full vs. part-time staff. 

January 16, 2014
9:52 am
hug+honesty group
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 982
Snarking Since:
April 6, 2013

smarltooth said

boxovinopcoltrane said
I was driving towards downtown Bloomtucky this afternoon and noticed (for the millionth time) the sign for Cardinal Stage Company just looked SO FAMILIAR.  (It's been around since 2006.)

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Sorry so large.  

Huh.  others-221

I don't know. A cardinal is a red bird, so it's not a surprise there's a slight similarity there. They're different fonts. I don't really see a problem.

The cardinal is also the state bird of Indiana… it's not like they picked some strange exotic bird.

January 16, 2014
10:32 am

I doubt she's making more than $2K for teaching one class this semester. Adjuncting is a joke.

January 16, 2014
10:32 am
Potato With Legs
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1944
Snarking Since:
March 11, 2013

Really? Gosh, thanks for letting me know it's the state bird! Lived here for 28 years, had no idea!

So sorry, so fat. So thought the logos looked similar and were another example of the Quirk family laziness.

January 16, 2014
10:37 am
nha
Cat
Meows: 11
Snarking Since:
November 8, 2013

I work for IU as staff and my husband adjuncts.  I can tell you 100% that she is not eligible for IU benefits if she's only teaching one class.

January 16, 2014
11:06 am
future farmer
Feles Imperatrix
Meows: 16405
Snarking Since:
March 4, 2013

That Social Experiment Legging said
I doubt she's making more than $2K for teaching one class this semester. Adjuncting is a joke.

It kind of is, unfortunately for qualified teachers who are looking for full-time work.  My friend who is an excellent teacher had to take a non-teaching job because the only work she could find was as an adjunct.  She taught 3-4 classes as an adjunct, but they kept her hours just under the limit to qualify for health benefits.  

January 16, 2014
11:08 am

boxovinopcoltrane said
Really? Gosh, thanks for letting me know it's the state bird! Lived here for 28 years, had no idea!

So sorry, so fat. So thought the logos looked similar and were another example of the Quirk family laziness.

Nah, I feel you on this. Of all the things they could have named their brewery, that had to name it, 'Cardinal" something? Why not something completely different? I get that it's the state bird, but I see where you were going with this! wink

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.