:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Gluten Free Girl
October 21, 2016
6:42 pm
Cat Loaf
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 278
Snarking Since:
March 29, 2012

Also if zucchinis 'standing at attention' are erect penises, 'eggplants begging to be fondled' are balls or butts or something, are artichokes supposed to be genitals too? Like a prickly vulva or something? 

——–
Um, have you ever seen Danny's artichoke tattoo? uh

October 21, 2016
7:36 pm
Bromesco
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 618
Snarking Since:
May 15, 2015

crispenclean meowed

". . . and round-bottomed eggplants just begging to be fondled."

If Donald Trump is at the Farmers' Market, that's exactly what he's thinking, too.

Stop sexually assaulting vegetables, Shauna. Several eggplants, a tomato, and a kohlrabi have already come forward with their stories, and more are bound to join them. Just because you are a food blogger and cookbook writer and James Beard award-winner doesn't give you the right to fondle an eggplant without its permission.</blockquote

OMG I just laughed so hard I cried. Thank you.

October 22, 2016
3:54 am
dollop
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1261
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2012

Ridin' dirty in the grocery store meowed

And he got it from Mary Queen of Scots. Those were her last words – before being beheaded

LOL, thank you, Ridin' dirty! I didn't know that. Grand words from our gir!, right?

And, only speculating: Could it be that they can't afford to live on Vashon any longer and Shaun therefore doesn't want to "share" personal stuff on her blog any more? Maybe they have to move to a cheaper, less idyllic area that is not an islandy island surrounded by water.

Re. her "book" of personal essays: I think she just talks about that so people think she is still a writerly writer of books, not some food blogger who unfortunately wasn't offered a new book deal after her last cooking book.

October 22, 2016
1:03 pm
Hamilbread
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 431
Snarking Since:
December 9, 2015

As glad as I am that she's cutting back on her bullshit, I think she's a terrible businesswoman. Her personal "pieces" were the only thing setting her apart from her competition. Her early cookbooks sold not just because gluten-free was trendy, but also because they were drippy wish-fulfillment stories for women who saw themselves as overweight and unattractive — the brainy high school outcast transformed into a healthy woman who found true love and now has a life her former bullies would envy. Oh yeah, and there were recipes that implicitly promised her readers the same results. Even after her books stopped selling, her fangirls would leave fawning comments about wonderful her writing was, how cute her kids were, but also how delicious her food looked.

Remember when she complained about people wanting her to focus more on recipes and less on her personal crap and said she didn't care and was keeping it real? Obviously that didn't work because what people really liked was the combination of personal writing and recipes relating to her stories. She threw off the balance by focusing on personal crap, but now she's throwing it off again by removing the personal part altogether. Instead of constantly changing her shtick to suit her whims, she should just stick the formula that worked for her. She never considers her customers. Shauna just assumes they want exactly what she wants.

October 23, 2016
7:35 pm
Will Holden Is My Favorite
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 518
Snarking Since:
August 4, 2016
About 7 years ago when I went gluten free, I read her blog because she was one of THE blogs that everyone acted like you had to read. I never got into her writing but I tried a few of her recipes. Maybe it was because I was just plain new to gluten free cooking, but they were all bad.

Someone pointed me back to her site when she started pitching her flour, but somehow the idea of a flour sold only by a blog just didn't seem clean to me. Very surprised there is no true ingredient list on the product page and that you have to read so much just to see what is in that. That stuff is way overpriced for what it is.

I do have to applaud any blogger who makes their private life private because far more bloggers should be doing that. However I believe there is a lot more to the story than what she says. The fact she went back to work and now seems to be changing her blog tells me they are having financial issues. I know of bloggers who have been in that situation who hired a consultant who told them to be more profession with their blog. Given how she was promoting that she makes recipes for products and kept pushing her flour does indeed sound like they are trying to take the flour idea on a much bigger level. Maybe the sales alone would be enough for a company to help her, but with the shipping issues she has had, you have to wonder how anyone finds her a credible business at this point.

I get recipes online all the time and prefer there isn't a long story I have to scroll through. Obviously I'm not her target audience. Every now and then, I do scroll past the text to get ideas, but I never follow her stuff exactly anymore because her recipes have never worked for me. I know there are people drawn into the stories and considering those are the more regular readers, I would be afraid of alienating them if I were her. It will be interesting to see what happens to her blog and business in the coming months.

However the part about the school kids gave me a laugh. 2005 was not that long ago. Any idiot who has been on the Internet since then knows that nothing is truly private online. Blogger makes it really easy to keep a blog private if you want to keep people out. She probably just thought she could get things from school off her chest and no one would know it was her. I've seen blogs of medical professionals or their spouses sharing too much info like this, but never been able to pin who was actually writing them. Then again most people are not stupid enough to use their real name for something like that. Hard to believe that she truly did not know better. 
October 23, 2016
10:05 pm
Decorate – Gitmo Style
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 477
Snarking Since:
January 7, 2015

I had a sappy college LiveJournal in 2005, but even goofy 19 year-old me realized I should make it private if I was going to vent about boys I liked. Facebook was still pretty new then – I feel like people were more creative with online stalking pieced together from AIM profiles and Webshots albums. No way could she expect a bunch of teenagers not to find her writing about them. 

Her personal essays did set her apart. I devoured her first book when I was diagnosed gluten-intolerant in 2006, but I was the aforementioned sappy college kid. The wish fulfillment was indeed strong. Since then I, too, met the love of my life online, and it ain't all playing with saffron. You have to set achievable goals and follow through to keep a roof over your heads. And I don't have time to read a sappy personal essay when I look up recipes online. 

October 24, 2016
7:26 am
castaway
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2018
Snarking Since:
September 2, 2013

The sad part is her GFG brand and her flour actually could have worked, because it had all the kickstarter and blog good will and momentum she'd generated back then. But she never did jack shit to keep it going. She couldn't even type people's names on a Heroes page! She couldn't be assed to respond to someone's email. Ship out flour. Solve the problem of the crushed boxes. Alternately: skip the home made flour production and sell her "GFG" brand name to one of the stores, the way so many other bloggers have. 

I mean at this point with so few sales, there's no WAY they've sold all the flour they made and meanwhile brand after brand of GF flour is being sold relatively cheap and convenient at every grocery store and the market for a new expensive mail-order-only one is… well, apparently not very good. 

Same with FlOP. I follow Skinnytaste and she gives a week of meal planning and at least one and usually more of the recipes for free just by looking at her blog. And she includes nutritional info for special diets and has an active blog and Instagram 'community' to chat with if that's your thing etc etc etc. Were Horfy & Dingeau to really sell people on FlOP, they'd need to show what they bring to the table that's different (aside from bad hygiene) and worth paying for. If they're a "chef" and a "baker" or whatever, how does that translate into the mediocre sauces they're shilling?   

tl;dr they actually could use a consultant, the brand is (was?) stronger than their actual skills, they shouldn't post anything except targeted content/recipes anymore, but IMO Horfy will be unable to change. 

October 24, 2016
10:34 am
flippabird
Hamcat
Meows: 52
Snarking Since:
October 19, 2016

castaway meowed
The sad part is her GFG brand and her flour actually could have worked, because it had all the kickstarter and blog good will and momentum she'd generated back then. But she never did jack shit to keep it going. She couldn't even type people's names on a Heroes page! She couldn't be assed to respond to someone's email. Ship out flour. Solve the problem of the crushed boxes. Alternately: skip the home made flour production and sell her "GFG" brand name to one of the stores, the way so many other bloggers have. 

I mean at this point with so few sales, there's no WAY they've sold all the flour they made and meanwhile brand after brand of GF flour is being sold relatively cheap and convenient at every grocery store and the market for a new expensive mail-order-only one is… well, apparently not very good. 

Same with FlOP. I follow Skinnytaste and she gives a week of meal planning and at least one and usually more of the recipes for free just by looking at her blog. And she includes nutritional info for special diets and has an active blog and Instagram 'community' to chat with if that's your thing etc etc etc. Were Horfy & Dingeau to really sell people on FlOP, they'd need to show what they bring to the table that's different (aside from bad hygiene) and worth paying for. If they're a "chef" and a "baker" or whatever, how does that translate into the mediocre sauces they're shilling?   

tl;dr they actually could use a consultant, the brand is (was?) stronger than their actual skills, they shouldn't post anything except targeted content/recipes anymore, but IMO Horfy will be unable to change. 

I think she's either depressed or has ADHD.  I have some of the same behaviors (no follow through, abandoning projects when new, shiny ones pop up) and I've recently been diagnosed Bipolar 2 and was diagnosed ADHD a couple if years ago.

Having recently switched to a low-carb diet due to Type 2 diabetes, I've seen my mood and energy levels improve greatly.  I think she could benefit from a diet without all of the baked goods.  If she could just stick to her pork and veggies, she'd feel so much better.

Of course, both of her jobs have her baking all the time which is tough. It's like a recovering alcoholic bartender. The baked goods are what her fans want.  They want to be able to eat all of the same goodies they did before so she has to deliver by baking daily.  Who could bake breads, cakes, cookies and pies every day and not eat any??  This is the only reason I ever feel any sympathy for her. 

October 24, 2016
6:32 pm
Headpat Junquie
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2253
Snarking Since:
April 13, 2012

Who are these deluded souls who went into a Kickstarter with her? And who would donate to anything with the Sauna brand?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1406226232/partake-foods

October 24, 2016
6:50 pm
did the cutting in
Baroness of Ham
Meows: 263
Snarking Since:
May 27, 2014

… Since then I, too, met the love of my life online, and it ain't all playing with saffron

New username alert!

October 24, 2016
8:16 pm
glutenfreeloader
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 904
Snarking Since:
July 11, 2014

did the cutting in meowed

… Since then I, too, met the love of my life online, and it ain't all playing with saffron

New username alert!

YESSSSS so glad you did this!! I saw "playing with saffron" and f**king died lmaolmaolmao

October 25, 2016
7:47 am
Flyest B***h at Stilts Camp
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1444
Snarking Since:
April 28, 2013

Headpat Junquie meowed

Who are these deluded souls who went into a Kickstarter with her? And who would donate to anything with the Sauna brand?

Of course Shauna partnered with an AA business, because she's family #notjustanally. Yes. Breathe.

October 25, 2016
1:32 pm
flippabird
Hamcat
Meows: 52
Snarking Since:
October 19, 2016

Flyest B***h at Stilts Camp meowed

Headpat Junquie meowed

Of course Shauna partnered with an AA business, because she's family #notjustanally. Yes. Breathe.

No mention of Danny at all.  

Want fast, ad-free forums? Click here!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.