:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

ARCHIVED: CecilyK
September 7, 2013
2:45 pm
Neck Fat

@Cecilyk: Well, that explains a lot. RT @UneekaJay: Wealthy people don't watch a lot of tv. #quote @lashawneholland #powerup2013

September 7, 2013
2:59 pm
Neck Fat

@Cecilyk: "You have to deal with your soul issues around money, particularly if you are in the service biz." @shunstrickland just punched me out. Wow.

I thought this was the same tripe she heard at Mighty Summit a few years ago:
http://uppercasewoman.com/2010/09/21/feeling-mighty-indeed/

September 7, 2013
3:00 pm
I dont even like her
Kitten
Meows: -1
Snarking Since:
May 1, 2013

mattiepie said

Internetinator said

sorefeetstink said

Coach Clodhoppers said

SadlyAlas said

mystic pizza said
Yes, the comments about Tori are making me go : / That backpack looks plenty big to me, how much stuff does she really need to bring on the first day? And she took a stuffed animal… so what? Jeez.

Let's turn the conversation back to Cecily's writing before everyone starts posting about how they dressed their kids in impeccable outfits on THEIR first days.

Besides, if she went to a school where actual books were needed and homework was done, I'd think she needs a bigger backpack. Let's face it, it's not like the school requires her to carry anything academic back and forth. Her backpack is for lunch and toys.

It's for showing, not blowing.

I am in the boat that feels totally sorry for Tori because I just foresee a long road ahead of her where life is going to be hard because her parents are setting her up with very little in the way of social skills. When I see Tori going to the first day of school in play clothes and hair that looks unwashed, I don't think, "Oh God, that kid is so gross." I just shake my head and wonder why it doesn't occur to Cecily to make sure her daughter is clean and looks presentable for the first day of school. Tori is 7. She doesn't know any better. Cecily is the adult and the mother. It is up to her to provide Tori with hygiene lessons, good food at home, a more enriching environment than Mortal Kombat and Minecraft. None of that is Tori's fault, at all. It makes me really damn sad because Cec and Poet are old enough to know how to do the basics for their daughter and yet they don't, because they're too lazy and they think they're proving something to the world by letting their child roam around dirty and using curse words and such. 

And I just want to say re: the backpack, that size wouldn't fly even at my daughter's preschool. They specifically requested one big enough to fit a standard sized school folder for work to be sent home in. My guess is the Philly Free Skool isn't into traditional things like "sending home work for the parents to see in the folder." 

Exactly. I am just mortified by how Cess sent that poor child to school. Maybe I'm too traditional for the Faux Hipster family, but every family I know, all over the country, celebrates the first day of school. Shopping trips to buy a bunch of school appropriate outfits (and not ill-fitting T-shirts), another trip to Staples to pick up a new backpack, binders, folders and a whole bunch of school supplies like markers, highlighters, pens, pencils, calculators, assignment books, etc. Lastly, and most favorite for our family, is the bookstore where we bought copies of required reading for the year.  For my daughter, an extra trip to Walgreens for nail polish, hair do-dads, and makeup when she got older.

Those trips to exercise my Visa card were fun for everyone. And they made the first day exciting and new. Choosing the first day outfit, getting up at the crack of dawn with excitement, packing up their backpacks… it all was just part of the first day ritual. Of course, there were the photos with everyone on the front step looking clean, shiney, and stoked.

I just do not get why Tori is still carrying around a filthy preschool backpack. She is too big for that thing. I don't get why she looks so unkempt. I don't get why her parents are so disinterested in the little rituals that make fond memories later on. When Tori remembers her first day of school, she is going to remember being dirty, wearing ill fitting and inappropriate clothing, and not getting to get anything new because she was an afterthought for her hugely selfish and self absorbed parents.

That totally stinks and makes me all ragey. They are the worst parents ever.sangry

Awwww, head pats for you! rolleyes  That's exactly what I was talking about earlier (see: "ensconced in personal bragging."

I agree the kid's school sounds like a poor choice for her, but no matter what the school, I don't think a kid her age is wanting for highlighters and an assignment book.

And for the record, sure, lots of kids want to wear a brand new outfit on the first day and have a brand new backpack (haha where the hell are you living that all the kids get new backpacks each year?  I remember pulling mine out of the closet and getting a kick out of the stuff from the previous year that was still in it.)  But some kids have favorites that they feel better in.  And here comes the speculation train… considering T's previous comments about not being comfortable in her body, maybe she wasn't exactly eager to go shopping for new clothes, which if true, would be frown 

Weirder to me is that Charlie seemed absent in the back-to-school moment capturing.  Maybe they took some family photos she didn't share, but "didn't share" is not typical of C.

That's not called bragging.  It's called describing what most parents do to get their kids ready for back-to-school.  Even when I taught in an inner city school, where the clientele was the poorest of the poor, those kids showed up spit-shined and polished on the first day.

Now after seeing their offspring board the bus, most of the parents went back into their apartments and enjoyed a little crack cocaine in the blessed silence, but by god, they had their kids looking good.

It may not be bragging (though I think it is) but it is unbelievably uncomfortable to read. 

September 7, 2013
3:38 pm

Internetinator said

And for the record, sure, lots of kids want to wear a brand new outfit on the first day and have a brand new backpack (haha where the hell are you living that all the kids get new backpacks each year?  I remember pulling mine out of the closet and getting a kick out of the stuff from the previous year that was still in it.)  

Eh, I always got a new backpack. As do my kids. But we didn't go clothes shopping, because they didn't need new clothes. And neither were excited to go pick out erasers and pencils, so I went myself and did it. It is possible to make traditions without a shopping spree, and the idea that Cecily and the Cheeseburger Poet are failing at making traditions is because they choose to be poor is silly.

Cecily and the LOLPoet fail at making traditions and shiny memories for Tori, because those things don't bring them any pleasure. And at the end of the day, that's what matters. Not Tori's well-being or happiness, only their happiness.

Which is ironic, because Cecily seems to be desperately unhappy. 

September 7, 2013
3:42 pm
RESPECT the Stay at Home Purse Mom
Royal Meowjesty
Meows: 13919
Snarking Since:
April 11, 2012

Hopefully, she's actually learning something at @Powerup this weekend.  Sadly, I think she just tweeting about it to have something to tweet about.

September 7, 2013
3:52 pm
Ramona the Pest
Count de Meowmy
Meows: 827
Snarking Since:
February 9, 2013

I guess I just don't think it's too much to ask to send your kid to school for a new year with a new backpack and outfit or two.  I think it makes them feel special and I think it's important.

September 7, 2013
3:57 pm
Uneducated Ellipses.

Respect privacy and lies OH MY said
Hopefully, she's actually learning something at @Powerup this weekend.  Sadly, I think she just tweeting about it to have something to tweet about.

She sure is tweeting a lot about money.  Mostly I hope she learns something, but I am not giving my hopes up.

September 7, 2013
4:12 pm
ill-advised tattoo

Miss Monsoon said
I guess I just don't think it's too much to ask to send your kid to school for a new year with a new backpack and outfit or two.  I think it makes them feel special and I think it's important.

Maybe.  Or maybe it makes her feel MORE special if she gets to wear her favorite t-shirt and carry a stuffed animal.  Sheesh.  My kids don't get a new backpack until they wear out the old one or somehow age out of the old one (my daughter, for example, got a new one because now she's going into junior high and didn't want a babyish one; I respected that).  

Christ, I am happy to see Cec and the Hat saving some $$ – their bankruptcy pisses me off in ways that are not flattering to me.  Sadly, alas, I fear their thrifty ways only extend to Tori's things, but at least it's a start.  

September 7, 2013
4:18 pm
gwenhara
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3336
Snarking Since:
May 25, 2012

I don't think she's learning anything.  If you read through her tweets you find this one:

"What does the wealthy you look like?" Um… thinner and better rested?

She's going to use all this that she's hearing to be even more committed to being herself.  She'll come home from Powerup, tell Daddy Useless what she heard/learned and he'll tell you that it's f**king bullshit and that they're nonconventional bohos who aren't giving up their tv and developing a budget because that's giving in to the system.  So she'll misinterpret or twist the advice she's been given and turn it into a mantra for not doing the things she needs to do to progress in life.  She's too busy being an internet presence and guru to be better rested.  She watches tv because she doesn't want to be rich and like everyone else.  She's not going to eat any differently because Daddy Useless and Tori don't want to.  That goes for the weightloss stuff she hears, too.

Her shitty blog identity rests on her not being like everyone else.  She knows she's schlubby, unhealthy, uneducated, and bad with money but that's the image she wants to present. In her mind, it makes her stand out.

September 7, 2013
4:33 pm
ill-advised tattoo

Oh ffs, better rested?  Right, because her at-home-staying, TV-watching, candy-crush-playing, blow-job-giving, selfie-taking lifestyle is just EXHAUSTING, y'all.

September 7, 2013
4:48 pm
Virginia Apple

The only thing that bothered me about the back to school photo was poor Tori's hair! It looks like she hasn't had a trim since her initial ill-fated pixie cut. Even if she doesn't like it short and is growing it out, you gotta keep shaping it as it grows so you don't look like a ragamuffin.

September 7, 2013
4:55 pm
Uneducated Ellipses.

gwenhara said
I don't think she's learning anything.  If you read through her tweets you find this one:

"What does the wealthy you look like?" Um… thinner and better rested?

I snort laugh because most truly wealthy people are not 'better rested' as they have to actually WORK to become wealthy. 

September 7, 2013
5:15 pm
Beezus Christ
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1499
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2012

realitycheck said

I cannot snark on her for not buying new clothes and backpack for school. It is exactly that consumerist thinking that gets so many people in financial ruin, not to mention kids growing up feeling entitled. As long as my son has clothes that still fit, he doesn't get new and I actually can afford to buy new. We also buy a good backpack in kindergarten and use it until it wears out. I do wash it though. There s nothing wrong with Tori's outfit. She looks happy and that is what matters. I do think the backpack looks a bit small. My 7 year old would never be able to get by with one that small especially in the winter when he needs to pack snow pants, but perhaps the school she goes to doesnt send much home. Cecily obviously can't afford to be spending money on things that aren't needed.

This is off-topic because its not about Cecily, but I was just thinking about how when I was in elementary school (late 70's/early 80's) neither I nor any of the kids carried backpacks at all! We would have, like, a couple folders we just carried in our arms. Weird!

↑ Back to Top ↑

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.