Emily Ley / Joy & Simplicity
do not like to know it
Cat
October 6, 2017
1:35 pm

I was going to quote some of you from above, but I'm having difficulty with the quoting tool today for some reason. Like some of you, I have four children all close in age and near Emily's. I have 5yo twins, an almost 3yo and a six month old. I do work full time because I am so fortunate to have a telecommuting job and my husband works sort of second shift schedule which means he helps out a ton in the mornings with school runs and errand running. He also keeps the 2yo two mornings a week and he helps out where needed with the baby (she still takes a lengthy morning nap). I have a sitter who comes in the afternoons around 1pm and she helps pick up the older kids, take them to some afternoon events a couple days a week, but mostly just holds down the fort until I'm done with work. 

I say all this because I've always gotten the impression that Emily is a WFHM, not necessarily a SAHM. In any case, my day to day schedule can only be described as total nuts. I do take breaks to see my kids and help out but what I don't do is take fake selfies with a face of full makeup and one of my kids in a pretty little outfit to prove to strangers on the internet that I'm a great mom because I know, based on the utter exhaustion that i feel at 8pm each night, that I've done as much as I possibly could for my family that day. 

I think Emily's constant, over the top joy/white space/simplicity is so BULL SHIT. When you honestly work full time (whether at a job or with several young kids at home) your ability to focus on anything other than the daily survival is extremely limited. You don't have time to write things out in perfect, color coordinating pens and hand lettered font in $60 planners (nevermind the useless stickers and other crap). You use your phone like a normal person.  

What made me really hate Emily is when she was pregnant with her twins and she was doing the baby books. She made it seems like her baby books were so much better than the ones you get anywhere else and that if you had used the other ones well, then, you were totally missing out and not being the best mom ever because of how special her baby books were. Then shortly after her babies were born she made it seem like she just went back to her regular carefree life no problem and rarely mentioned all the help she was getting between her work staff, mom, nannies, etc. I couldn't believe how many posts she had of stupid stuff like decorating bookshelves with target finds and carefully coordinated striped buckets. WHO CARES!!! And why does she care about that rather than parenting her very young kids? 

And one final thing. Even with all I have going on and despite the fact I'm with my kids on my own every weekday evening until bedtime, I CAN SORT MY LAUNDRY. 

Actually this is my final thing: I truly hope that moms do not let Emily make them feel bad about their own selves. I would hope most moms realize her utter BS pretty quickly and I'm guessing the only people that buy into her nonsense are college aged girls or career gals who don't have kids and they have the luxury of disposable income and mostly time to care about wanna be Kate Spade/Whitney English planners.  

Apologies for the rant. I just discovered GOMI recently and I've been wanting to snark on Emily for about three years now. 

Shericka: Travel Agents with Less Disney Experience Than the Travelers
Count de Meowmy
October 6, 2017
2:22 pm

smiley-signs064 welcome here! I’m telecommuting today and took a mental break to check GOMI. Moms like us, who actually have to juggle everything without nannies and housekeepers, see thru her BS. But I agree the younger women are impressionable and have no idea what lies ahead if they choose to work and have kids. I was one of those naive women, albeit a decade ago, and working motherhood hit me like a ton of bricks.

What I want to know is what the heck Emily’s next book is about? Her moms lasagna is in it? More tips about what? drool

ducksinarow2
Hamcat
October 6, 2017
10:16 pm

do not like to know it meowed
Actually this is my final thing: I truly hope that moms do not let Emily make them feel bad about their own selves. I would hope most moms realize her utter BS pretty quickly and I'm guessing the only people that buy into her nonsense are college aged girls or career gals who don't have kids and they have the luxury of disposable income and mostly time to care about wanna be Kate Spade/Whitney English planners. 

I think you're right. I'm guessing most of her market is southern preppy college aged and 20 somethings (women the same age as her employees) who are just starting their lives and think she has this magical formula that will lead them to a perfect life. 

Hear My Heart, Yall
Count de Meowmy
October 11, 2017
10:28 pm

Why does she only film herself with animal filters?  Girlfriend must look rough up close.  Because why else would a Professional Business Woman talk to her customers with a bunny nose and ears????

obsessions on repeat
Feline Porklord
October 12, 2017
9:27 am

Hear My Heart, Yall meowed
Why does she only film herself with animal filters?  Girlfriend must look rough up close.  Because why else would a Professional Business Woman talk to her customers with a bunny nose and ears????

She looks rough with makeup imo, girlfriend needs to learn some new tricks.  She annoys me so much I don't think I can't even hate follow her anymore, get ragey every time I see her stupid face in IG stories.  sangry

Havygirl
Hamcat
October 13, 2017
9:49 am

HEY FRIENDS!! (Sorry, I had to! )

I started following Emily/Simplified planner when she was pregnant with the twins. I saw one of the bloggers I follow post a picture of the happy stripe planner, and honestly loved it. (I was looking for a new planner.) So, I started following her. I thought it was amazing how she was able to juggle everything and be so joyful, happy; but something bother me about her. I never just buy something without doing research first. Especially a planner, which is something I use on a daily basis and need it to work/fit my lifestyle. So I did research on the simplified planner and that led me to GOMI. And I read, and read, and read everything on Emily. Boy my gut feeling was right. I like her ‘message’, but I wish she was genuine about it. Which, we all know she is never genuine. I never bought anything from her. Thankfully!

I really do think her fans are peppy, image-loving, materialistic girls/women. I’ve moved on, unfollowed her, but occasionally take a peek hoping to see some change. Some growth in maturity in Emily. Still waiting. It’s sad her kids are growing up thinking ‘things’ are important in life. others-221

appletree
Baroness of Ham
October 15, 2017
4:44 pm

Emily fed the toddlers coffee??? Are you f- serious? OMG. eek

That's a new low even for the pathetic mom she is, wow. So, in order to sell more coffee, she wants to market coffee as if it's safe for the whole family – no matter the age! So many warnings have been given about coffee and young kids aimed at people in the US who do it as a cultural thing. It's not safe, it's not OK. And especially to a toddler, WTF, Emily! no-no

She even has medical issues, that her kids are now predisposed to, that are made worse by caffeine. But she's pumping those little bodies full of the stuff! Like it's a joke or something. Really, this is sick.

Did anyone see in her video debuting the book where she says her mom helped her with a lot of it? Of course. Cause girlfriend has to be told to take out the dirty diaper trash everyday by her mom. Like that's earth shattering advice. Well, to Emily, it is. One word, dumbass. Excuse me, she's a self-described "over achiever " – her spelling. uh

Yes, yes, yes!! To everyone who commented on the BS of her "simplified" life. The absolute obnoxiousness of her to write this book when she doesn't cook more than one meal a week! Or even do much of the grocery shopping! The kids are in daycare and have a FT nanny. It's like Ivanka Trump telling working moms how to do it all. I mean, for f- sake!

Tell the truth, Emily. Everyone can see your BS. Oh, and did you see her post of the monthly pages from the SP on IG and in her comments she said she wanted to make time for church. She's a religious fraud of the worst kind, someone who uses God to make money. She doesn't even go to church on Christmas Eve!!

Her whole business and career has been based on lies and deceit. In the money section of her new book, does she mention the foreclosure, just a few years ago? You know, how she was able to really stop working and start her business by dumping her house. Or is it all…. my husband's good job…we saved till we reached our goal… blah..blah…blah

You are a liar, Emily Ley.

The Simplified Life by Emily Ley. It should be the Simplified Lies by Emily Ley, how to BS everyone.

popcorn

Snarkynanny
Cat
October 16, 2017
1:33 am

Woah, woah, woah.. what is this about foreclosure? I thought they were living the good life in their new home, plus the almost half a million dollar lot in Pensacola near her parents? Totally agree about the IG filters, I think she looks rough with or without make-up. She's always posting about her decluttered make-up drawer. I'm all for minimal mane-up, but it is important to use products that make the best impression.

I have no comment on the night nanny. My mom was a night nanny for the sweetest family, they weren't well-off but they sacrificed for it. The husband travels all the time and the mother needed help since she still had to work. The only difference is, this family was very open about the help they received and didn't act like they had it all together.

derpelganger
Kitten
October 16, 2017
11:56 am

do not like to know it meowed
I was going to quote some of you from above, but I'm having difficulty with the quoting tool today for some reason. Like some of you, I have four children all close in age and near Emily's. I have 5yo twins, an almost 3yo and a six month old. I do work full time because I am so fortunate to have a telecommuting job and my husband works sort of second shift schedule which means he helps out a ton in the mornings with school runs and errand running. He also keeps the 2yo two mornings a week and he helps out where needed with the baby (she still takes a lengthy morning nap). I have a sitter who comes in the afternoons around 1pm and she helps pick up the older kids, take them to some afternoon events a couple days a week, but mostly just holds down the fort until I'm done with work. 

I say all this because I've always gotten the impression that Emily is a WFHM, not necessarily a SAHM. In any case, my day to day schedule can only be described as total nuts. I do take breaks to see my kids and help out but what I don't do is take fake selfies with a face of full makeup and one of my kids in a pretty little outfit to prove to strangers on the internet that I'm a great mom because I know, based on the utter exhaustion that i feel at 8pm each night, that I've done as much as I possibly could for my family that day. 

I think Emily's constant, over the top joy/white space/simplicity is so BULL SHIT. When you honestly work full time (whether at a job or with several young kids at home) your ability to focus on anything other than the daily survival is extremely limited. You don't have time to write things out in perfect, color coordinating pens and hand lettered font in $60 planners (nevermind the useless stickers and other crap). You use your phone like a normal person.  

What made me really hate Emily is when she was pregnant with her twins and she was doing the baby books. She made it seems like her baby books were so much better than the ones you get anywhere else and that if you had used the other ones well, then, you were totally missing out and not being the best mom ever because of how special her baby books were. Then shortly after her babies were born she made it seem like she just went back to her regular carefree life no problem and rarely mentioned all the help she was getting between her work staff, mom, nannies, etc. I couldn't believe how many posts she had of stupid stuff like decorating bookshelves with target finds and carefully coordinated striped buckets. WHO CARES!!! And why does she care about that rather than parenting her very young kids? 

And one final thing. Even with all I have going on and despite the fact I'm with my kids on my own every weekday evening until bedtime, I CAN SORT MY LAUNDRY. 

Apologies for the rant. I just discovered GOMI recently and I've been wanting to snark on Emily for about three years now. 

Well said sha_clap2

appletree
Baroness of Ham
October 19, 2017
1:18 am

@snarkynanny

Oh yeah, Emily had her house foreclosed on in Pensacola under her maiden name. But it was during her marriage, right before she quit her job and started her business full-time. She had been renting out the house once she got married. It's shocking because of all the lies she has told about how she started her business and her constant "advice" about money. Well, she's crickets about the foreclosure. Which, of course, is her right. BUT, ya don't then go around lying to everyone about how you got the money to quit your job and start your business. At the same time too, she was blogging about all the money they were saving and then a year or so later they did a major remodel on their house, bought a bunch of RH furniture, and (supposedly) paid off all their debt except the mortgage on the home they were living in. The foreclosure is just another piece to her huge BS puzzle. It never ends.

She basically dumped the house so she could quit her job and start the business. (If you go back through the posts, there's a link to the foreclosure.)

Women ask her advice all the time on how they can quit working and start a business, how she was able to do, etc., etc. It's so wrong for her to be lying about how she did it. She claims it was her husband's good job, they saved and saved and finally reached their goal so she could quit working. Even Whitney English was upfront about her business bankruptcy. I mean, that's life, crap hits the ceiling. But Emily just lies and lies. She could have just never brought the subject up, but no. Like the Forbe's ad, she wanted to lie and weave a complete sham to everyone. It's pathological with her.

Now, in a Simplified Life by Emily Ley, she will continue the lies. There's a whole chapter on money! I mean, come on!

And I agree that either she's lying about dumping all the clothes into the washer together or she's BS people to do ads on her social media for Tide. Or maybe she doesn't even do the laundry, so she has no idea. I mean, if your Mama has to tell you to take the trash out….rolleyes

BTW, I think something major, in a good way, happen between Blue Sky and Whitney. Day Designer is now selling $58 planners from Jan-Dec in Staples along with other items. WE took DD off her social media profile. And a few months ago she discussed how she was doing something huge with them and bigger than anything she's ever done before. Anyone know what's up? Did Blue Sky buy the Day Designer and maybe she'll get a % of it forever, as they continue to expand? drink

Oh, yes, when I read on here that Emily's lot is near the Pensacola "Yacht Club" – I laughed soooo hard. OMG. uh Seriously?!? Then I looked it up online because I thought, this can't be a real place… Oh, but it is. lol That fits her perfectly.

I guess it fits the recent quote on the SP IG account, about keeping your choices small so your options are limited. (I know, WTF?) And then, Emily claims, this will make you happier.uh Uh, no. That's when you end up building a second home by the Pensacola "Yacht Club" and think your choice and decision was a good one.

@ducksinarow

Amen to your post about needing to make 300-400k a year to afford Emily's help (nanny, housekeeper, assistant, meals delivered 5 nights a week, grocery service, etc.). That was one of the most honest comments I have ever read on here. Her book is a complete and utter lie. How can she talk to women about "simplifying" their lives when she has no idea because she has someone else doing everything? It's a fraud.
oregonian_winesmiley

Shady Shamepuff
Kitten
October 19, 2017
10:15 am

@appletree YES. I have wondered the same thing about WE and Blue Sky! She's mentioned them almost EVERY time she talks about DD lately, and I've noticed other clues as well, but can't remember them right now. I do think that if she was getting a % forever, though, she wouldn't have taken it off her profile and would be talking about DD a lot more still. Good for her, if she did sell, though!

do not like to know it
Cat
October 19, 2017
10:06 pm

I realized I was following Lara Casey today as she popped up on my feed and I just had to unfollow. I don't know if she has a thread on here but just knowing she's so closely linked to Emily I had to do it. LC doesn't seem as inauthentic as her fraaaaand EL but just calling yourself a friend of EL's and doing business with her – while at the same time writing super lengthy Christian posts with every pic posted – just irritates me.

I sort of feel like they are both cons out to hoodwink every unsuspecting new mom or college girl they can about how BUYING a bunch of unnecessary material objects = simplifying your life. Google anything about simplifying your life and, if it's not EL related, it's going to tell you to get stuff out of your life. Not put it all in bins and store it on a shelf. reaction

appletree
Baroness of Ham
October 23, 2017
2:22 pm

@shadyshamepuff I was surprised to see a planner that's the same price as her flagship in retail stores like InkWell Press is doing. But it's great that Whitney is expanding into so many large retailers. I think the planner market has been sliced and diced with all the competition. If she did sell, good for her.

@donotliketoknow Your username is a hoot!

So today on IG, Emily is discussing her "newfound ability to cook". lol As if everyone doesn't know that she has the majority of her dinners delivered everyday and, as she has stated many times, only cooks one dinner a week, if that. She's just trying to sell her book which includes a chapter for "meal planning".yadayada

It's like her Sunday "meal prep" which is no meal prep at all, but a snack prep for the kids. Putting cheese and crackers into little baggies. And yes, she puts crackers in the frig!clap Who does that?!? Gross.

The shady b- lives on. Nothing is as it seems in Emily Ley land. eek

:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Please read and abide by GOMIBLOG’s Comment Policy.

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or GOMIBLOG. GOMIBLOG makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

For technical issues/ad complaints, please click here for the contact form.